Author Topic: NO MORE LIGHTSABER DUELS????  (Read 19160 times)

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: NO MORE LIGHTSABER DUELS????
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
Nothing between non-members.

This will be EXTREMELY hard to police.  Everyone in the world who isn't affiliated with any Lucasfilm type group(501st, RL, OFF etc) is considered "non-member".  How can anyone stop that?

By Non-members I am referring to people that show up at our events.
We are not to endorse them to light saber duel either. 
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 09:03:57 PM »
Removed
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:33:44 AM by guyactor »

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »
Well, there goes that saber duel video I was making.

In the base temple thread, there i a big discussion about this... I was already aware, but I was under the impression that we couldnt duel kids... Duels (staged of course) between members should be fine... Right?

Where?  I don't see a Base Temple, let alone a Base Temple Thread.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:42:40 PM by Volund Starfire »

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »
just because LFL doesnt want us to duel each other, doesnt mean you cant make videos... as long as they arent affiliated with the 501st. right? Im gonna film to my hearts content... that is for sure!

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 09:04:31 AM »
just because LFL doesnt want us to duel each other, doesnt mean you cant make videos... as long as they arent affiliated with the 501st. right? Im gonna film to my hearts content... that is for sure!

LFL controls ALL things Star Wars.  501st maybe mentioned first because of our size but the statement is equally pointed at Rebel Legion, Alpha Base etc.  Statements like "I'm gonna film to my hearts content... that is for sure!" could be construed as a "I don't care" statement, which if you were just an ordinary joe that wouldn't matter but you are an official member of an official group and LFL might not take that to kindly.  Not trying to tell you how it is, just an FYI/IMHO.

Offline Daverian

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 09:15:01 AM »
I wonder what this means for Disney. Their Star Wars Jedi Academy is based on the kids dueling Star Wars bad guys. Are they closing them down?

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 09:17:32 AM »
I wonder what this means for Disney. Their Star Wars Jedi Academy is based on the kids dueling Star Wars bad guys. Are they closing them down?
No. Disney has its own insurance, and has the ability to pay their own damages should a lawsuit ever
become involved.
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
It kills a really fun way to interact and put on a show for people. It's too bad
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 09:02:46 PM »
the temple is in the private section for RL members..

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »

I guessed that... I don't think I have permission to see it...

Offline sigmarue

• Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 10:36:09 PM »

I guessed that... I don't think I have permission to see it...

Yeah, officers can't even see it unless they're jedi, too. As far as I know, it's an illusion. XD

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 10:39:09 PM »
Jedi Mind trick? I knew you imperials were weak minded... this is off topic, but I am sitting at work right now, and im the only one in the building (its a big building), and I wanna pee my pants... :oops:

Offline sigmarue

• Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »
Jedi Mind trick? I knew you imperials were weak minded... this is off topic, but I am sitting at work right now, and im the only one in the building (its a big building), and I wanna pee my pants... :oops:
Yeah... that's pretty darn random.

You jedi use those mind tricks on your own team? That's some backwards logic there. Whatever floats your skiff.

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 12:16:27 PM »
According to the following (posted in Endor Base's forum), Sansweet hasn't stated that members can't duel with each other. It is that the activity of member dueling non-member member vs kids), or non-member dueling non-member (as in kids vs kids) that can't be encouraged, endorsed, or practiced.

Granted, this was originally posted back in October. I don't know if LFL has modified their position on the matter, or not. But this came straight from Sansweet to Kathy in Endor Base.

The reason for the no dueling gag order, for lack of a better phrase, is simple, it all comes down to liability and who has the insurance to cover it. LFL and Disney have, we don't.

Quote from: Kay_Dee
A discussion came up in October 2008 in the Knights of the Jedi Order forum regarding the Rebel Legion organizing "Jedi Training" tutorials at events and parties. Some of you know that Endor Base has done this in the past. Unfortunately, after conferring with Steve Sansweet, the Rebel Legion Command concluded that we can not continue to conduct any kind of lightsaber tutorials in which the children are handed a lightsaber (or even a fake foam saber) and shown how to use it.

Here is the Official Statement from Rebel Legion Council:

"Due to legal issues, the Rebel Legion cannot authorize, support, or be involved with any type of saber training classes. The Rebel Legion cannot allow any LFL or Rebel Legion trademarks, logos, phrases, monikers, etc to be involved with any variation of saber training classes. Members will be brought up on charges if they use LFL or Rebel Legion trademarks, logos, phrases, monikers, etc in conjunction with a saber training class. We highly recommend members consider the possible legal ramifications of liability before planning, arranging or conducting any saber training sessions on their own, independent of The Rebel Legion."

If some of you are part of Fan Force or other Star Wars clubs and want to continue to do this, you can not mention or involve the Rebel Legion in the training event at all. You can't hand out any Rebel Legion items at the event that would link us to it (examples being RL tattoos, trading cards, or activity books.)

Essentially, we were told by Steve Sansweet that Lucasfilm can not endorse this activity due to liability risks and trademark infringement. The safety of the children is their greatest concern, and it is also the Rebel Legion's concern.

Steve Sansweet wrote:
On the one hand, small events on a local basis such as you describe could be fun for the participants. But you clearly cannot use Jedi Academy or Jedi Training Academy or anything else that comes close to our trademarked terms. Using the word ?Jedi? in any manner is highly problematic. When Disney does these?or we do them at Celebration events?we use highly trained and disciplined ?Jedi Masters? and assistants who know how to deal with nearly any situation that can arise when young children are involved.

We simply can?t give you official permission for anything that involves minors for a variety of reasons?safety (what happens if someone gets injured accidentally?), the fear that parent have regarding their kids these days, the fear or dislike of ?weapons,? etc.

If you went ahead with something on your own, you?d need to steer clear of any Lucasfilm logos, icons, images, etc. We cannot be a part of, or affiliated with, any activity like this on the part of fans. While I fully understand where you?re coming from, and have no doubt that any such activities personally monitored by you would come off without a hitch, there are just too many potential pitfalls to give you any sort of official nod. I hope you understand.

It was concluded by the Rebel Legion Command that even if we were to change the name to something that did not infringe on LFL properties (like "Saber Training") that the Rebel Legion did not want to be liable if someone were to accidentally be hurt. Steve Sansweet also makes it clear that if the Rebel Legion had chosen to continue to do any kind of Jedi Training - even by another name - the Rebel Legion could not have any sort of Licensed LFL images associated with it (this includes the rebel bird logo which is now part of the Rebel Legion logo with LFL's permission). This is partly why even if one of our members decides to do training on their own they can't be giving out our tattoos or hang our banner at the event in close proximity to the training area. Much less mention that they are part of the Rebel Legion because the RL can't assume liability for the training.

The good news is that we have a fun alternative we can offer parents.
We can still offer to give lightsaber demonstrations and have our Jedi talk about the ways or the force and what a lightsaber is used for (DEFENSE - please refrain from using words like kill and attack.). We just can't be playing with a child who is holding a lightsaber showing them how to swing it or conduct a mock duel with them. We can still pose with children who have lightsabers, and we can do mock duels with other Rebel Legion or 501st members as demonstrations.

If you have any questions, let me know.

- Kathy (Kay Dee)

- Bill
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:19:38 PM by tavrikgannon »
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
ive read this post a few times before... so WE can duel... just not non-members... right?

Tags: