Author Topic: progress is progress  (Read 21161 times)

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
progress is progress
« on: September 18, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »
Hey guys, i finally got to start on my Custom Scout armor. The chest plate went quickly for me. The bicep, elbows and knee pads are next (tomorrow). The back hump and shoulder pads i'm going to have to hunt down some found parts, air tank or something to get the proper shape. The curved shape of the shoulder pad is near to impossible to make out of a flat sheet of metal.
All in all, a good start i think and fairly close to the actual armor.
Once i have cut all the pieces and welded them together with spot welds, i am going to run welds along all the seams and then grind them down for a nice smooth look. I'm also going to line the backside of each piece with some sort of soft foam.

In regards to the paint job. I was thinking of painting it desert camo, and dedicating the armor to our troops. What does everyone else think of that idea and what are the proper channels i need to take to make it more than just me saying "i dedicate this project to our men and women in uniform."?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:58:10 PM by SpitFireScout »
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Offline Metal4Life

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: progress is progress
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:05:09 AM »
Lookin good sir. If you go the cammie route for your paint job, you gotta go with marine desert digital! That would look hardcore!
One shot, one kill? BAH!... I prefer the Machine Gunners way, ACCURACY BY VOLUME!  -TK5811

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:13:02 AM »
Hoo dang, that would be take a fair clip to paint that stuff... would need to make some custom brushes. It would look pretty snazzy and high tech though wouldn't it? The grey digital camo looks pretty good too. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:16:06 AM by SpitFireScout »
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »
Just use small square sponges.
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline Metal4Life

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:18:06 PM »
Little trick of the trade. Use coyote tan for the base color, then use off set stencils with random square configurations cut into them for the darker browns over that.
One shot, one kill? BAH!... I prefer the Machine Gunners way, ACCURACY BY VOLUME!  -TK5811

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:41:04 PM »
I was thinking square brushes by making several patterned brushes (out of foam, like square brushes) and use those as stamps. Same idea as the stencils (but in brush form). If i use spray paint, stencils would be the way to go.
Thanks for the color tip Metal, it's a big help :)

About logos. I was thinking if i am able to dedicate this to our troops, it'd be cool to incorporate the imperial emblem with something like the Marine emblem. (switch the earth out for the imperial logo) I'm open to thoughts and comments on this please :)
Of course i have to figure something out where it covers all divisions of the military: marines, army, navy, air force... (any i'm missing?) without turning the armor into a bill board or race car with logos everywhere!

I'm a little worried about how some people might react with the association though. "evil" Empire incorporated with the military or America, is it something i should be concerned about? It doesn't bother me because the way i see it is from the perspective of us as a group of SW costumers that support charities and help people, and this is a way of recognizing and honoring the sacrifice the people in our military have made for us.
Your thoughts?

heres  some emblem ideas, i jsut added the Imperial seal into emblems i found online. I also grabbed the coast guard and National Guard seals as well, jsut in case ya know. The Marine one is my favorite  :P

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:43:17 AM by SpitFireScout »

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 05:02:47 PM »
Lenses! I'm going to go the Snow goggle route with this. What i'm thinking is i'll build the face plate so it clips in around the goggles (so then i can use the goggles for otehr things as well) It also means i can buy different lenses (slivered) for around $25 and easily swap between the two. The silvered lenses they had were so clear to look through, you couldn't even tell there was a tint, very nice indeed.

This was a test to see how the lenses photographed, pretty happy with it, unless someone stuck the camera right in my face i should be good.

The bucket build is still a ways off, i'm waiting for my Rubies bucket to show up so i have some hands on referance to build from. Just stocking up on the materials early.
This all, of course, could fail miserably :( hopefully not

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 11:43:29 PM »
MORE!!! haha, i got some more stuff done today, feeling pretty good about it all. I leave tomorrow to visit my girlfriend, so i won't be around, but next week i'll be back kicking it into high gear to get all the grinding and clean up taken care of, and then move into the painting, i think all i have left to build is the bucket and the shoulders. (pockets and stuff will come later since they are soft things)
Hopefully i'll have time next week to build the speeder bike kit for my 50 motorbike, but we'll see, thats alot of work too.

me working:

me again :)

This would probably work pretty well for building Fett armor
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:07:25 AM by SpitFireScout »

Morgan the Terrible

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 02:30:23 AM »
The armor is looking great dude!  Have you heard of or considered getting it water wrapped for the finish?  It's pretty durable and patterns show up pretty well.

These guys mostly do paintball stuff, but you might talk to them

http://206.188.200.106/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=11

JadesFire

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
Lenses! I'm going to go the Snow goggle route with this. What i'm thinking is i'll build the face plate so it clips in around the goggles (so then i can use the goggles for otehr things as well) It also means i can buy different lenses (slivered) for around $25 and easily swap between the two. The silvered lenses they had were so clear to look through, you couldn't even tell there was a tint, very nice indeed.

This was a test to see how the lenses photographed, pretty happy with it, unless someone stuck the camera right in my face i should be good.

The bucket build is still a ways off, i'm waiting for my Rubies bucket to show up so i have some hands on referance to build from. Just stocking up on the materials early.
This all, of course, could fail miserably :( hopefully not

No no camara in front of the face is great! Make you look like a cylon!!!

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
The armor is looking great dude!  Have you heard of or considered getting it water wrapped for the finish?  It's pretty durable and patterns show up pretty well.

No, i've never heard of that process, seems to be very nice an shiny though  :shock:  :D . The only problem is i'm trying to save as much money on this project as i can, plus i feel confident enough in my painting skills to achieve what i'm aiming for. But it would be nice to get it done professionally and be something durable... guess i'll be researching processes for sealing the whole deal once i'm done.
I'll definitely be looking into the water wrapping process some more, thanks! :)

Jade,
Yeah i'm pretty happy with those lenses, i think that style is Fire lens or something, very eye catchy... kinda like the Master Chief visor.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 04:01:21 PM by SpitFireScout »

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 11:26:32 PM »

No, i've never heard of that process, seems to be very nice an shiny though  :shock:  :D . The only problem is i'm trying to save as much money on this project as i can, plus i feel confident enough in my painting skills to achieve what i'm aiming for. But it would be nice to get it done professionally and be something durable... guess i'll be researching processes for sealing the whole deal once i'm done.
I'll definitely be looking into the water wrapping process some more, thanks! :)

Jade,
Yeah i'm pretty happy with those lenses, i think that style is Fire lens or something, very eye catchy... kinda like the Master Chief visor.

Wow fire,that armor is coming along great!If your still looking for shoulders and the back hump to measure I'd be more then happy to lend them over!

and for professional painting you can always try an auto body shop.When I received my helmet I took it in to a shop.The paint is so durable that I can wipe off stains that would have stayed permanent,it's very resistant to scratching and just gives  a great uniform appearance!(Plus it was only a 128 "credits"  :lol:)
-
Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »
only 128 credits  :cry: lol, sounds reasonable, i wonder if they do clear coats... then i could do my the digital camo first which will take alot of time and theres no way i'm going to pay someone else to do it. But if i could get a clear seal over it all... that would be well worth the credits to me.

Didn't get much done today, sorry no pics, forgot the camera, got half of the back hump taken care of, need to find some sort of tank or something for the curved part of the hump as well as shoulder pads.

Still struggling with the final paint job. The digital camo is cool, but i think i'd need to enlarge the pattern a bit so its not so "busy". If i can dedicate the armor to our troops, then i'd want to go desert camo, but i think i like the urban camo better... aaaaaahhhhh the desert digital isn't quite right, color is off.
Please! Give me your thoughts on the matter :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:43:28 AM by SpitFireScout »

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »
lookin good man, great work!!!!man all the camo looks good but i do like the desert but i am a Td so.......
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
i've always like the Sand Troopers and a big fan of the traditional desert camo... i'm leaning in that direction. Would be easier to paint too lol :P

Tags: