Author Topic: 9 days, 2 costumes, one convention...  (Read 1638 times)

Offline enderspike

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
9 days, 2 costumes, one convention...
« on: November 05, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »
Hello!

My name is Rodger and this is my intro post. I was the tall, interested fellow at Emerald Valley Comic Fest. You spoke of your focus on community and assistance, and that deeply interests my wonderful girlfriend and I. We have done a lot of thinking, want to join, and have a lot of questions and topics on which we could use some advice.  Prepare for data!

Very simply, we have no costumes and she has marginal but fast-learning sewing skills. We are smart,own a sewing machine, and know the way to JoAnn’s Fabrics. We have chosen for our first costumes Han Solo (Post Trash Compactor) and Leia Organa (Senatorial Gown.) We’d like to do a good amount of sewing and crafting ourselves, but we’re also into buying the accessories and items that are generally better bought. It is our dream to have functional costumes, if not Legion-worthy ones, by the 14th, the date of Eugene Comic Con. Failing that, we’d like to be ready by the 17th of December. I’ll assume you know why.

So what we’re looking for is help and advice. Examples:

Where do I buy a good E11 blaster and holster? (that british place looks sweet, but won’t deliver to the US)

Any good suggestions on generic, retail items that would work as costume items? Examples include appropriate belts, black, zipperless equestrian boots, and I’m thinking it might be easy to find a generic cream colored shirt that fits Han’s.

Personal assistance on where to get started on these costumes or directions to a good tutorial. I can find a million online, but I want to know which one is the good one.

Plus anything else you can tell us/guide us on. My job gives Volunteer Time Off and we would love nothing more than to dress up in awesome costumes and help some kids.

Help us, Kashyyyk Base, you’re our only hope!

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: 9 days, 2 costumes, one convention...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »
Hello. Welcome to the forum.

Your best bet for finding most information would probably be on the Rebel Legion forums. Royal/Senatorial for Leia (http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=f2742ad090f98c49a5cbb712f0bc29c3) and Fringe for Han (http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=f2742ad090f98c49a5cbb712f0bc29c3) if you're trying to make costumes that would be acceptable in the Rebel Legion.

I'm not really sure where you could buy a good E-11, though I do believe one of the KB/CCG members makes some rubber ones. You could also buy a Hasbro "stormtrooper blaster" and get a parts kit online to fix it up. Disney also has a "stormtrooper blaster" with a kill/stun setting switch that's fun but I'm not sure how the parts kit works with it. (I have both blasters but haven't fixed them up yet.)

Belts will have to be custom made, I'm sure. There are people in the Rebel Legion who make the belts that you could buy. As for the rest of the stuff, I'm not sure where people find things like boots and the shirt and what-not. Droid caller and other such things can be bought from prop makers.
B-wing Pilot - Jedi[/center]

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »
welcome to the forum Rodger!
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline MetalJedi

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

You have an ambitious project. Good luck!

You have already been pointed to the Rebel Legion for information about the costumes you are planning to make. That really is the best resource for those costumes.

If you have any other questions, then please do not hesitate to ask.
Harry - TK/TB 6472

BlackyNoStars

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
Welcome! Boy that's a tight schedule!

Tags: