Author Topic: New and hopping to join  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Fehdyken

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
New and hopping to join
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
Hello, my name is Paul. Star Wars has been a part of my life for literally as long as I can remember. My first memory is of watching Return of the Jedi with my dad on our couch. I have heard of the 501st before and always wondered how to join. Unfortunately, I am not the most handy with needle and thread and I have no idea how to even go about starting to mold plastic for my Trooper Armor. While I would never ask anyone to do it for me, I could really use some help in getting started, or where I might look to acquire the materials I need to begin.

Offline Lidocaine

Re: New and hopping to join
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:53:37 PM »
Hi Paul and welcome!

Sounds like you're interested in becoming a Stormtrooper? The good news is, you won't have to mold or shape any plastic, there's a few vendors out there that you can find online that can get you a kit to put together! There's quite a few people that are waiting on kits to come in (lots of vendors have a wait time) and I'm sure you'll end up being one of many folks building a Stormtrooper over the next 6 months! I'd imagine there will be a number of "armor parties" happening where folks new and experienced can hang out and help each build their kits.

Sign up on http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/ aka: The First Imperial Stormtroooper Detachment (FISD) it's an amazing resource for all things Stormtrooper and get ready to spend hours and hours reading about how to build your kit, follow other people building their kits, etc.  Don't get too daunted by all the info, and always feel free to ask questions!  Also, check out their "approved vendor" thread. Basically, do NOT buy your armor on eBay. It'll be really awful and a major bummer.

There's an officially licensed kit that's not out yet from Anovos @ www.anovos.com While buying it and putting it together doesn't mean you're guaranteed membership (you still need to have it fit right, have the right pieces in the places, etc.) it's not a bad place to get your armor. The initial batch of kits is supposed to be shipping late Nov/early Dec, but if you order now, I don't know when your kit would ship.

I joined early this year, so I remember the "I don't know where to start!" feeling early on, so don't feel like it's too crazy. It's totally worth all the time and effort, it's been awesome this year!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:55:31 PM by Lidocaine »
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Fehdyken

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
Thank you so much! At first I was really afraid I would need to be costuming wizard to join, because I'm just not. But I love Star Wars, and I love what the 501st does and I would die to be apart of it. I'm glad there is an opportunity for people like me to at least have a shot.

Offline Fehdyken

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting kits to be that much. I mean I guess I should have but yikes. I really don't have that much cash hanging around. Looks like it will be a few months before I will be able to join.

Offline MetalJedi

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forums!

Costuming can be an expensive hobby. Take your time and do your research. If you are working on a budget, then building the costume of your dreams might take a little bit of time. With patience and persistence, you can have the Star Wars costume of your dreams!

If you have any questions, then please do not hesitate to ask.
Harry - TK/TB 6472

Offline Fehdyken

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »
Thanks, I will definitely do that. I'll just have to attack it like I'm building a car, one piece at a time.

Offline NavySith

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
Welcome
Sent from Kamino using Tapatalk

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline clemdawg

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
Whats a uniform like that cost? Where can I learn more about the 501st? Im a little chubby sooo....need to lose some weight first.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:55 AM »
If you are set on being a stormtrooper, then it will take a lot to get there. If you are open to other costumes that can provide a base for several other, might I suggest the Reserve pilot. From that you can go Tie Pilot, Imperial Gunner, Imperial bridge crewman, Navy trooper.
I started out wanting to be Tie Pilot as I'm a flight sim kind of guy but found that Gunner was less expensive than the tie helmet armor and chestbox/hoses.

Check out the Jolly Roger squadron forums if might be interested in joining us black flight suit guys and gals.

Also, welcome aboard!
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Tags: