Author Topic: It's a noob.... set for stun!  (Read 10608 times)

Offline Mosi

It's a noob.... set for stun!
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
Hey all! After all of these years, I am seriously thinking about jumping in head first. Since I was a kid, I have always wanted a TK costume, so I think that's where I would like to start. My time is limited for making a costume, mostly because I want it ready for Halloween. I was looking at the SW licensed version that can be had for around $600 on Ebay. Is this 501st/CC approved and is it a good enough deal?

I like the volunteer work your guys do and would love to get involved!

BTW, I'm from Beaverton. 
pew pew

Offline cojake

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: It's a noob.... set for stun!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:44:29 AM »
Hey bro, welcome!! 

Do not go for the licensed TK on ebay.  They look pretty bad up close and to my knowledege they are not 501st approved without some major modification.  You need to check out www.whitearmor.net and do a little research.  They discuss this suit in detail.  Your best bet for a TK starting out is to purchase an FX kit or the FX light kit (minus helmet)  and buy a better helmet to go with it.  The FX is what 90% of the 501st wears.  It is durable ABS plastic and stands up to the rigors of trooping.  The only issue is the helemt is a little oversized.  This can work to your advantage if you are 6 ft 3 inches though.  :wink:   If you are average size, they look alittle bobbleheaded.  If you want the ultimate in accuracy and can the "movie armor"  you seek TE armor or any of it's decendents.  This was molded from screen used armor, but comes at amore premium price and is a little more fragile.  Like I said, check iut the whitearmor forum AKA  the FISD.

Jason
"It's all part of the therapy"
BH-4865  ESB Boba Fett

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:31:26 AM »
If the licensed armor you are referring to is the Rubies Supreme Storm Trooper armor, then listen to cojake. Those things are a nightmare and require a lot more work to get them approvable. In the end, you would have spent more money than you would have had you gone with a kit that any of us could recommend.

You did right by asking us where to start out. There are a lot of newbies who don't do that and spend money on a crap set because they make the claim that because it is a licensed product that it is accurate enough to make the grade. Of course, that is just marketing 101: sell the idea that this is a product that a consumer wants, claiming screen accuracy when it isn't.

I was GML last year and actually had to deny someone because they got one of these kits, prior to even contacting us. Believe it, or not, it happened all across the legion!

There are dealers that we can hook you up with that will get you a better kit, for the money you are spending.

Welcome to Cloud City Garrison!

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Mosi

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys!

Can you please hook me up with the dealer info for some quality kits? I am already getting knee deep in FX kit research.
pew pew

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
Howdy Mosl welcome to the forums!

It is ill advised to purchase an Ebay stormtrooper kit,and certainly will be denied if it is a Rubies kit as Bill was stating.Anything of the Rubies merchandise is considered unacceptable by 501st standard(unless heavily modified.)BUT the garrison and I are here to help you find the proper sources you need to take your place in the 501st ranks^^
http://www.whitearmor.net/

this is one spot I'd recommend to check out and I'll send a list of vendors over shortly for you to browse over.Though I must warn you it is more then likely it will take more then halloween to assemble this armor,the reward will far outweigh the time spent.

Now then,any questions you might have?
Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »
PM sent!
Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:10:22 AM »
PM sent

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Mosi

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
Okay, I'm completely fried from doing hours of research today. I checked with txtupperware and he is changing the FX kit to an improved version so it will be several weeks. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a complete kit? I found a couple of UK sellers on Ebay that have full kits for around 1k, but I have no idea what sort of quality they are. Oh yeah, I also read that the FX is a bit more roomy than some of the other kits. I am 5'11 and 205lbs with larger, more muscular thighs and calves than normal. Anyone have any feedback on that? If it would be good to go, I would probably go with the FX lite and buy the helmet ala carte. Can anyone help me with links to some of the suppliers for both? it's pretty cryptic over on FISD so it's hard to find suppliers. I have about 1k to spend...
thanks!
pew pew

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »
hello and welcome!
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:29:43 PM »
Okay, I'm completely fried from doing hours of research today. I checked with txtupperware and he is changing the FX kit to an improved version so it will be several weeks. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a complete kit? I found a couple of UK sellers on Ebay that have full kits for around 1k, but I have no idea what sort of quality they are. Oh yeah, I also read that the FX is a bit more roomy than some of the other kits. I am 5'11 and 205lbs with larger, more muscular thighs and calves than normal. Anyone have any feedback on that? If it would be good to go, I would probably go with the FX lite and buy the helmet ala carte. Can anyone help me with links to some of the suppliers for both? it's pretty cryptic over on FISD so it's hard to find suppliers. I have about 1k to spend...
thanks!

Welcome Mosi, 1 K just for a kit maybe too much.. don't rush .. we will check around so you get best deal. Jason (cojack) do you know someone??  I may a armor person in mind. I have to check it out.. stay tuned.
Allan Quick

Offline Mosi

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 09:04:35 PM »

Welcome Mosi, 1 K just for a kit maybe too much.. don't rush .. we will check around so you get best deal. Jason (cojack) do you know someone??  I may a armor person in mind. I have to check it out.. stay tuned.
[/quote]

Thanks.. I'm actually eyeballing the complete set up from SDS on Ebay right now. It looks like the dealer is ignoring the non-export to the US rule (Lucas lawsuit). It's a bit more but it comes with EVERYTHING including an SDS E11.

Please keep me informed as to what you find out and then I will decide. Thanks!
pew pew

Offline cojake

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:16:41 PM »
I might be able to come up with something. I'll get back with you shortly (tomorrow)  Hold off on impulse buying in the meantime.

My screen name is cojake BTW  not cojack.  :wink:  Although I do have a bald head.  :lol:
"It's all part of the therapy"
BH-4865  ESB Boba Fett

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
Mosi... follow the advice. Don't give in to impulse buying on ebay. 1K for a storm trooper armor kit is highway robbery. Those vendors are milking it because they know uninformed buyers will purchase them.

Be patient. We are actually looking out for your best interests (and pocket book).

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »
I might be able to come up with something. I'll get back with you shortly (tomorrow)  Hold off on impulse buying in the meantime.

My screen name is cojake BTW  not cojack.  :wink:  Although I do have a bald head.  :lol:
LOLOL, sorry Jason I know it is cojake.. I just had that other post in my head where it said cojoke..dang it Cojack.. LOL..

Hope you can help Mosi.. if not I will try something.
Allan Quick

Offline Mosi

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »
Thanks again, guys.

I am also very interested in the Tie Pilot. Just not sure.... on one hand, the TK has always been the ultimate to me but it's a pretty complex costume and it's not like you can just have a seat anywhere. On the other hand, the pilot looks pretty cool and has a lot more freedom of mobility. Is there a way to sit in the TK for a bit w/o destroying it?
pew pew

Tags: