Author Topic: It's Tatooine time in Oregon!  (Read 7668 times)

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
It's Tatooine time in Oregon!
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »
I just wanted to let you all know (as if you didn't know already) about the heat warning that is out.

Keep hydrated, stay indoors or in A/C as much as possible, and remember that you dress as Star Wars Characters so a wet towel on the head shouldn't embarrass you.

Excessive Heat Warning for Central Willamette Valley, OR
until 10 pm PDT, Thu., Jul. 30, 2009

Issued by The National Weather Service
Portland, OR
2:43 pm PDT, Tue., Jul. 28, 2009

... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM PDT THURSDAY FOR INTERIOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON ...

THE EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM PDT THURSDAY.

HIGH TEMPERATURES YESTERDAY AFTERNOON WERE IN THE 100 TO 105 DEGREE RANGE FOR INTERIOR LOCATIONS. THIS AFTERNOON VALLEY TEMPERATURES ARE ALREADY IN THE TRIPLE DIGITS AT 2 PM... WITH 90 DEGREES AT ASTORIA ON THE NORTHERN OREGON COAST. TODAY AND WEDNESDAY HIGH TEMPERATURES INLAND ARE EXPECTED TO BE AROUND 105 DEGREES. EVEN THE COAST RANGE AND CASCADES WILL BE HOT... WITH TEMPERATURES CLIMBING WELL INTO THE 90S DURING THIS HEAT WAVE. TEMPERATURES WILL BE A LITTLE COOLER THURSDAY... HOWEVER MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES WILL STILL BE NEAR 100 DEGREES.

IN ADDITION TO THE HOT AFTERNOONS... LITTLE RELIEF FROM THE HEAT IS EXPECTED OVERNIGHT. WITH LITTLE TO NO COOLING INFLUENCE FROM THE OCEAN... AND A SOMEWHAT HUMID AIR MASS IN PLACE... NIGHTS WILL REMAIN QUITE UNCOMFORTABLE AWAY FROM THE COAST. THIS WILL ESPECIALLY BE THE CASE IN URBAN AREAS SUCH AS PORTLAND AND VANCOUVER. PORTLAND TIED THE ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 74 DEGREES MONDAY NIGHT. OVERNIGHT LOW TEMPERATURES TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT WILL BE SIMILARLY WARM. THIS LACK OF OVERNIGHT RELIEF MAY MAKE THIS HEATWAVE PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS IN THE CITIES... ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE WITHOUT ACCESS TO AIR CONDITIONING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF DANGEROUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE LIKELY. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: It's Tatooine time in Oregon!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »
Tuesday update @ 5:25 pm-

Wednesday 107*

BE CAREFUL!

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
  • Awards Trooped 25+ times
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »
heat warning? what heat warning? im used to the desert sun on tatooine:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:....old ben kenobi
(but trying to cut my overgrown back lawn at 10AM yesterday about stroked me out :P)
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:36:09 PM »
Yeah, I thought about mowing. I need to develop the jedi mow from a lawn chair trick or is that the sith.

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
If anyone wants to hear me complain for well over an hour, just call me.

What, no takers???
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline Aysel

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »
 :lol: Kyle

I'm sitting at my desk with a bucket of cold water for my feet....

Offline The Kreator

• 501st Legion Member
  • TK/SL-8992
    • TK-8992
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »
I must be crazy, but with no AC, at 10:34pm it's still 90 in the house and I just finished up taking my 501st application pics all suited up for over an hour.  Time to throw back a giant glass of ice water or three!

Offline Aysel

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »
holy crap dude, your starting too early, your supposed to be at a troop when you try to kill yourself with the heat...

Drago Seron

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »
I work out here at PDX during the grave hours. It's really been bad because the planes are 120 at 3am.

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »
I am surprised that the heat warning didn't address a very important topic regarding staying hydrated: that is drinking coffee is the worst thing you can do in a heat wave. Coffee is known to cause dehydration in the body, especially when it is so hot out. Even when it is those iced mochas, it is the properties in the coffee (caffeine, maybe???) that isn't good for a body that is needing to stay properly hydrated.

I remember watching the news a year, or so ago, addressing this very issue. In a nutshell, nothing really replaces good, old-fashioned H-2O to stay hydrated in this extreme heat.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »
I am surprised that the heat warning didn't address a very important topic regarding staying hydrated: that is drinking coffee is the worst thing you can do in a heat wave. Coffee is known to cause dehydration in the body, especially when it is so hot out. Even when it is those iced mochas, it is the properties in the coffee (caffeine, maybe???) that isn't good for a body that is needing to stay properly hydrated.

I remember watching the news a year, or so ago, addressing this very issue. In a nutshell, nothing really replaces good, old-fashioned H-2O to stay hydrated in this extreme heat.

- Bill

Yeah but as my wife points out there is water in the 2 pots of coffee she drinks everyday. I thought that to about coffee and heat wave but I think that has been mostly debunked recently.

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »
There is water in alcoholic beverages and yet the warnings against dehydration still apply. I think it is just good information to have....

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »
yeah no arguments hear, I used to prefer the Long Inland Ice Tea when I could drink them. Now I am stuck with Lipton Ice tea unsweetened. Stay cool everyone.

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
I've converted my bathtub into an extremely small soaking pool since the only fan I have in my apartment is in the kitchen.

The somewhat good news(?) is that the extreme heat is beginning to recede a little, I noticed it was actually kind of cool this morning and I read it's "only" supposed to be 97?.  :roll:

-Kyle
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »
hehe... I'm all about the sweet tea, myself!  :wink:

In this heat, I err on the side of caution. Just H2O and maybe the occasional Gatorade for me!
I've converted my bathtub into an extremely small soaking pool since the only fan I have in my apartment is in the kitchen.

The somewhat good news(?) is that the extreme heat is beginning to recede a little, I noticed it was actually kind of cool this morning and I read it's "only" supposed to be 97?.  :roll:

-Kyle

So is this your way of expressing your woes to everyone since nobody called you?  :mrgreen:

I've been taking more showers to cool off, as well.

At least the heat is receding... even if it is in smaller increments!

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Tags: