Linked Events

• Light the Night Leukemia Walk: October 09, 2009

Author Topic: October 09, 2009, Light the Night Leukemia Walk  (Read 22103 times)

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
October 09, 2009, Light the Night Leukemia Walk
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
I am doing this event again. When Nick, Kevin and I did this last year we were a huge hit. Needless to say, LTN wants us back and have asked that we be some sort of entertainment for the crowd, you know photo ops with the kids who will be there.

Anyone who wants to participate, let me know. Anyone who wants to contribute any funds for the cause, you can go here:

http://pages.lightthenight.org/or/PortlndL09/TavrikGannon

To join the team, go here:
http://pages.lightthenight.org/or/PortlndL09/CloudCityGarrison

No pressure. If nobody wants to participate, no worries. This is more personal to me since it is what my brother died of.

The event, itself, it on October 9, 2009 at my work (World Trade Center, Portland). Walk registration opens at 6pm, with the Walk, itself, starting at 7:30pm. Those who are interested in participating in costuming for this event are asked to be there, suited up and ready to go by 5:45pm.

Anyway, I know there wasn't much interest in doing this last year, but I thought I would offer it up to the Garrison to see if any would be interested in doing this.

I'll cross post this over at Kashyyyk Base, for the RL folks who don't frequent the CCG boards, here, as well as the Oregon Fan Force.

Also, when I discussed this at the picnic, Ralph made a great suggestion about the fund. So, if you go to the page you will see that I have updated the team goal for funds raised. Seeing as how it is team Cloud City Garrison, and we are 501st, it seemed highly appropriate. Thanks for the suggestion Ralph.

If anyone has any questions, please contact me and I will get those questions answered. The most obvious one about changing room and storing our bins, I am still working on that one. I will see if I can use the locker room again this year, but I am not sure if the boss will let me do it again, or not. We will have to see about that. If I have to, I will rent a U-Haul truck for the day and we can use that to dress down in, and store our gear. As the event gets closer, I will have a better idea of what we are up to.

ROSTER:
Bill
Dave
Eric + Lucas
Kyle + T'igor (maybe)
Nick2 (interested)
Katie (interested)
Kevin

- Bill
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:00:44 PM by tavrikgannon »
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Jabbasdead

Re: Light the Night Leukemia Walk 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »
I am interested, as a kid I did the whole March of Dimes walk a thons for about 6 years.  Might have a second car by the end of the month which would allow me to make the 3 hr trip north more often.

Offline Daverian

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:08:26 AM »
Great cause. Count me in Bill.

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:32:51 AM »
How long (distance) is the actual walk, Bill? Since that's a Friday, I will be picking up T'Igor and we might be able to do this together...

-Kyle
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »
Like, less than a mile. Last year when we did it, we started at Naito & Salmon, walked North on Naito for a few blocks and came back to the Salmon Springs Fountain, where kids mobbed us for pics near the Fountain. I don't know if any of you seen the pics, or not. Those of you who have me on FaceBook, go to my photo albums, you will see some pics of last year's event, there.

Like some of the other charity walks, there was the option to take the longer walk or the shorter one. Last year, we took the shorter of the two. But even the longer walk was still under a mile and a half, I think.

It really is a short walk. We spent more time gearing up and milling around, for the check-in process, than we did on the walk and photo ops, I think.

Last year I got permission to use my locker room, since there was only three of us in costume. I don't know how feasible it will be to do that again. Since LTN wants us as part of the entertainment, I am going to see it they are willing to provide an area for us. I will definitely keep you all posted, though.

I appreciate the support with your donations of pledge money or time doing this with me. I know you could be doing other things, but I am grateful to all who participate in this thing. Who knows, you might even see a side of me that you never thought existed...

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline ceric

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »
I'm interested in doing this with you Bill. 8)
Solo with a little wookiee side kick maybe.

-Eric

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
Thanks Eric.... by the way, are we doing Komen again, this year?

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline Hoot

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 11:37:35 PM »
Can I sign up to spot?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:05:18 PM by Oomar Galor »
-Matthew

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
I would appreciate that, Matt. All I ask is that those who chose to walk with me, sign up and join the team - and if you can raise money for the LLS, that would be great, too!

The team goal is only $500, with my personal of $200, just like last year. I think I was able to raise something around the neighborhood of $300 last year, so it isn't too difficult. There is a link that you can give to friends and they can paypal directly to the Light The Night Walk in the name of Cloud City Garrison's team.

Thanks everyone!

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline The Kreator

• 501st Legion Member
  • TK/SL-8992
    • TK-8992
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »
I'm definitely interested in participating.  This might be a fun event to attend as Batman being that it's an evening walk, but if it's only Star Wars characters I'll join as a TK.

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
Well, they did indicate that they wanted Cloud City back, since we were such a hit last year. I'd like to keep that going. I would rather the TK over Batman, just because it keeps us all uniform as Star Wars costumers.

Thanks.

Be sure to sign up to join the team!

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
Information on the team page has been modified. The team goal is $501.... I am 501st, after all. The change was made at the behest of Ralph (aka Jabbasdead). It made a lot of sense. And it makes a really nice geeky tie-in for the cause, since Cloud City Garrison will be representing there, in some fashion.

To any who are still considering whether they want to participate, or not, I strongly urge you to do so. It is a great cause. I need all the support that I can get. Officially, there are only two people on the team, but there are others who piped up and said that they would participate, too. I need those people to sign up on the LTN page (link provided in the first post of this thread) and I need people to contribute money, so call your friends, call your family - lets really make this a community effort for this cause.

Thanks!

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline Jabbasdead

Re: October 09, 2009, Light the Night Leukemia Walk
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
Alright. signed up (also updated Merc page) and my Daughter is signing up. I put the event on blast on my facebook pages and myspace pages in hopes to raising the money faster.

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »
Thanks, Ralph! Much appreciated.

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 08:16:14 AM »
We got a donation from the Golden Gate Garrison. Plus I am hitting my facebook page everyday with the message $1 from 501 people.

Tags: