Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 13083 times)

Offline Naveed83

• Naveed's Realm
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »
Hmmm...Imperial Officer was one of the ones I was really considering. I've actually been having a hard time deciding if I wanted to do one of those or a Stormtrooper. Are goatee's acceptable with the Imperial Officer uniform or would I have to shave? My wife would kill me if I shaved it off. I look like a Vulcan without it.  :|
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:52:46 PM by Naveed83 »
~Jay

"I'm Star Wars. I have super powers!." - My 3 year old son Ian while watching the Clone Wars movie.

Offline Hoot

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 10:05:02 PM »
Hmmm...Imperial Officer was one of the ones I was really considering. I've actually been having a hard time deciding if I wanted to do one of those or a Stormtrooper. Are goatee's acceptable with the Imperial Officer uniform or would I have to shave? My wife would kill me if I shaved it off. I look like a Vulcan without it.  :|

Jay,

I don't think that a goatee would be a problem.  One of the members of the IOC (<-Link), Imperial Officer Corps, has beard. *Raises Hand* One word, mustash.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:06:33 PM by Oomar Galor »
-Matthew

Offline Naveed83

• Naveed's Realm
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
Yeah I figured it probably wouldn't be a problem. I was just browsing the Imperial Officer pics over at the main 501st site and saw plenty with goatees. Another benefit to the Imperial Officer is it gives my wife a reason to go and visit a horse tack store to get me boots.
~Jay

"I'm Star Wars. I have super powers!." - My 3 year old son Ian while watching the Clone Wars movie.

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 10:27:03 PM »
The 501st doesn't discriminate against facial hair, even though the only facial hair we see in any of the films was that of Admiral Ozzel. The 501st doesn't discriminate against the wearing of eye glasses, either. That may not apply to you, but I thought it necessary to point out.

I wear glasses but typically don't when I am in costume. I don't sport any facial hair because I am required at work to be clean shaven. We are a costuming club that boast screen accurate costumes that look like they could come of the big screen. It is up to you if you wish to be clean shaven or not. Having your goatee will not disqualify you from becoming a member of the 501st. As Matt (Oomar) had pointed out, there are many a officer within the 501st that have various stages of facial hair, as well as glasses.

For your boots.... you could go to a horse tack store, if you want, but those would be extremely expensive. My advice would be to look up East German officer boots. There are some for about $80, provided that they have the right size. Go here: http://www.wephaus.com/products.php?cat=15 (look for theGerman Army Parade Dress Boots, the third one down the list)

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »
...even though the only facial hair we see in any of the films was that of Admiral Ozzel

Uhhh, what about Uncle Owen, Ben Kenobi, Biggs Darklighter, Lando Calrissian, General Dodonna, Wullf Yularen... just to name a few. ;)

-Kyle
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »
...even though the only facial hair we see in any of the films was that of Admiral Ozzel

Uhhh, what about Uncle Owen, Ben Kenobi, Biggs Darklighter, Lando Calrissian, General Dodonna, Wullf Yularen... just to name a few. ;)

-Kyle

I was talking Imperials, not Rebels or other citizens of the Empire......

I actually forgot about Col. Yularen.  :oops:

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Naveed83

• Naveed's Realm
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
The 501st doesn't discriminate against facial hair, even though the only facial hair we see in any of the films was that of Admiral Ozzel. The 501st doesn't discriminate against the wearing of eye glasses, either. That may not apply to you, but I thought it necessary to point out.

Groovy.  :)

I'm definitely leaning towards the Imperial Officer uniform at the moment, although since it's gonna be a couple months until I actually start putting a uniform together I might change my mind, but I think as my first costume it'd be the way to go. Like I said, I'm trying to keep around a certain budget and I know that despite the fact I really want to do a Stormtrooper one, I probably won't be able to put $1000 or more into one right away. Unless they are cheaper then I'm thinking.

~Jay
~Jay

Offline Hoot

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »

Groovy.  :)

I'm definitely leaning towards the Imperial Officer uniform at the moment, although since it's gonna be a couple months until I actually start putting a uniform together I might change my mind, but I think as my first costume it'd be the way to go. Like I said, I'm trying to keep around a certain budget and I know that despite the fact I really want to do a Stormtrooper one, I probably won't be able to put $1000 or more into one right away. Unless they are cheaper then I'm thinking.

~Jay

Jay,

I also thought, "I will go.... then I will...." I have since plotted my course; to joining the 501st, and after.  Luckily I didn't already purchase, anything, until I was ready. Know I am 90, to 95%, done; with my IC (Imperial Crew) uniform.  I am starting on the preliminary for my next uniform; and YES, before you even say anything Bill, it is going to be an Officers Uniform. AFTER I finish my TI (TIE Pilot). :x :x :x :x

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry Jay. It is a sour note with me.
-Matthew

Offline Naveed83

• Naveed's Realm
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »
No worries Oomar.

Know what is really funny? My wife seems more into the whole planning thing with all this then I am. She's like been spending every minute she is on the info web doing research for me, even when I'm at work. It's really kinda cool that she's so enthusiastic about me wanting to do this.
~Jay

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 07:04:29 PM »
No worries Oomar.

Know what is really funny? My wife seems more into the whole planning thing with all this then I am. She's like been spending every minute she is on the info web doing research for me, even when I'm at work. It's really kinda cool that she's so enthusiastic about me wanting to do this.

You know the empire accepts women too.
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline Naveed83

• Naveed's Realm
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
Oh, believe me she is tempted by the Darkside, but she wants to wait till she looses a bit of "baby weight" as she puts it, to fit into the costume she wants. Until then however, she really wants to be a spotter and take photos with her fancy camera she's getting. I'm trying to get her to sign up on the forum here, but she's being a bit lazy at it, despite the fact she knows her way around it better then I do.  :roll:  8)
~Jay

Offline Stomper

• Cloud City Retired
  • OLD IMPERIAL GOON
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »
For your boots.... you could go to a horse tack store, if you want, but those would be extremely expensive. My advice would be to look up East German officer boots. There are some for about $80, provided that they have the right size. Go here: http://www.wephaus.com/products.php?cat=15 (look for theGerman Army Parade Dress Boots, the third one down the list)

- Bill

I have a pair of these boots, and although they were just shy of being "too snug" for a size 12, a shoe stretcher fixed that and they are now VERY comfortable... unfortunately it looks like they only have them left in "little girly feet" sizes that only go up to 10.5 in mens sizes.  :?
Tony Krewson
TK/TD-4063
SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS
MOLON LABE

darkerlight

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
Hi Jay! -waves- I'm over in Beaverton :) not too far far away. I'm also without costume too so once you get all the planning done maybe we can get a time together for costume making with you or your wife (or both). Creation is always better with more eyes  :mrgreen:

Offline Naveed83

• Naveed's Realm
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »
Yes indeed. I have a bad habit of making mistakes on things when I don't have someone check over it. Especially on writing notices at my job. The same would probably happen with me putting together a costume.
~Jay

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »
With all of these new people coming in, it looks like I may have to set up a meeting with all the new folks. I've done this before and it works out pretty well.

I think it would be a great way to iron out costuming details and just get to know people. So all of the newbies come in, PM me and we will set something up.

Thanks!

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Tags: