Author Topic: Hello Cloud City Garrison!  (Read 5427 times)

Army Scout

Hello Cloud City Garrison!
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:52:54 PM »
Hey troopers,
 I am Chris Romines from the So Cal Garrison and the Detachment leader for the Pathfinders. I am looking to move up that way before the end of the year. I was wondering if you troopers had any recommendations for a place to live. I am looking for somewhere on the west side of the mountains and the farther north the better. I really like the Astoria area, but  thought I would ask the locals first.

Chris

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Hello Cloud City Garrison!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »
Depends on what you want, why you are moving, and what you like.  If you are moving for a job, it will depend on the commute.  If you are independently wealthy and can go anywhere...do you need a roommate?  Astoria is a great place, don't go to Seaside though.  Corvallis is a good, mellow place.  Portland is pretty hard to beat.  What is it you are after?

Welcome aboard, Chris.  If you need access to the 501st, let me know!!

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Daverian

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:28:05 PM »
Scappoose aint bad

Army Scout

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 04:02:45 PM »
Depends on what you want, why you are moving, and what you like.  If you are moving for a job, it will depend on the commute.  If you are independently wealthy and can go anywhere...do you need a roommate?  Astoria is a great place, don't go to Seaside though.  Corvallis is a good, mellow place.  Portland is pretty hard to beat.  What is it you are after?

Welcome aboard, Chris.  If you need access to the 501st, let me know!!

I'm moving cause I hate California :) I love the Pacific Northwest, so I thought I would move up that way. I will be needing a job (I do IT stuff). I am looking for something small and quite. I don't mind driving 20-30 miles to work.

Chris

Offline Ancient Fan

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 05:38:29 PM »

...I'm moving cause I hate California :) I love the Pacific Northwest, so I thought I would move up that way. I will be needing a job (I do IT stuff). I am looking for something small and quite. I don't mind driving 20-30 miles to work.

Chris

Chris, as a former native Californian I agree there is nothing like the Pacific Northwest, good place to shake off all things "Kali-for-nee-ah". I have been coming here on business for over 30 years and my company (Hitachi) "asked" if I would be interested in moving to Portland to oversee a facility here almost 2 years ago. Needless to say we took the opportunity and have never looked back. I am sure you'll find opportunities for employment throughout the state.  Welcome!

Phil / ID 7538

Imperial Doorman

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:56:59 PM »
Yep i can vouch Seaside really isn't all that good, it is based on seasonal work so that is why here my family will move back to Portland.. :mrgreen:
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline Zolotkey

• Cloud City Retired
  • Twitter anyone?
    • Imperial Base
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 09:13:20 AM »
Well alot of TEch happens out in Washington County it seems. Though I think Vancouver is a good place to live myself. :)
Nick Z
ID/TK-2516 Retired
Sr QA Engineer

Qui-Fawn

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 04:20:51 AM »
I love living in the Newberg/McMinnville area because it's a short drive to the beach when I want to escape, there aren't LOADS of people everywhere, and it's close enough to Portland to still be accessible to the opportunities that city life provides.  I'm originally from California too, I've been here about eleven years now and I love Oregon!!!!  :D

Army Scout

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the input. It looks like I will be coming up sooner than I though. We got a new boss at work and he is a complete jerk. I'm to old to have to deal with jerks. So I am looking for jobs in the Salem or Astoria area. Don't think I leave any before the first of the year. I have to take care of some Medical stuff before I leave. So stand by Cloud City, Army Scout is on the way!

Chris

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:08:39 PM »
Salem isn't too terribly bad. It would seem that as far as events go, Salem will be picking as far as activity is concerned. And it is about an hour south of Portland, where the majority of events happen anyway.
If it were me, I'd look in the Oregon City area. But then again, I am biased since that is my hometown. But since you are going to be working in the area, Salem would be the best bet for you. At least that is what I am inclined to believe. But Fawn is right about Newberg. It isn't too far from the action up here in Portland and it is relatively close to Salem as well......

Welcome to Cloud City.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline ClonenolC

• Cloud City Retired
  • my backpack's got jets... no, for real!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »
Welcome Chris,
    I personally like Vancouver, but Portland IS a nice place too.  I know FireStorm likes it every time he visits.... of course, showin him the night life and the people might, MIGHT i say, have something to do with it.   :lol:
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 09:00:46 PM »
Sweet!  Army Scout HOOOO!

Not that you are a ho, I was just yelling ho, like YO HO.  But not yo like in Yo dude I am so totally urban.  I will shut up now!

Mjolnir

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 02:40:50 AM »
Excuse our Commander,he's been a little funny ever since the Kamino scientist dropped him on his head when he came out of the cloning vat's  :P :wink:
Kidding!

Welcome Scout! it'll be great to have you up here with the CCG!A and We'll be sure to have the tea ready for when you arrive!  :wink: :lol:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:42:40 AM by Sithman »
Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Army Scout

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:10:06 AM »
Do we have any Salemites? I would like to come up and see what its like before I do my final call. Anyone wanna be my guide??? (Ill by ya lunch !)

Chris

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 12:02:28 PM »
We have two new people that are just getting armor done that are in Salem.  We have one trooper that is living there but he hasn't been active since he joined.  He built the armor, got the pics, then dropped off the planet.  I PM'ed him a few weeks ago and he said he felt like he jumped the gun joining and couldn't spare the time necessary to troop.  His board name is CabbageHeat, so you can contact him.  The newby is GrandMoffTarkin.

You can buy me lunch and I will make the trip up there for it!!
Mjolnir

Tags: