Author Topic: Medford area hello  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Rocket

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Medford area hello
« on: January 07, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
I'd like to say hi to everyone on this board.  I come to you from a reenacting background, primarily Civil War but also have dabbled in WW2.  Of course, I'm a Star Wars fan, and enjoy lots of various science fiction.  My other hobbies include working on cars, and developing a couple of YouTube channels around the subject.  I'm handy, and I usually tackle repairs and improvements around my home on my own rather than pay someone to do a worse job.  I enjoy tech of all types, and I'm usually the go-to person amongst my friends when it comes to a problem they need solving, or a certain direction they want to go.  I have a small boat and I love to fish, but I don't get out as much as I'd like to.  Oh, and I love the Oregon Ducks.  So that's a little about me, the person.

I have long dreamed of having a "full suit" of something awesome from the Star Wars universe, probably going back to the days when the original trilogy was in theaters.  I've often thought how cool it would be to show up at events or gatherings in full regalia.  The release of the latest movie has reignited that passion.  I remember when the Special Edition was released in theaters in 1997, the showing I went to was attended by a couple of Stormtroopers.  I was super impressed, and that's stuck with me ever since.  Extra time and money being quite rare for me until just recently, I never pursued it.  I always had figured you either buy a full finished Stormtrooper setup for a few thousand, or end up carving your own and pouring resin in a poorly ventilated garage, neither of which sounded that enticing.  Nonetheless, I started Googling which has led me here.  I'm still on the fence, but not for a lack of enthusiasm.  My main issues are 1), do I want to spend that much money, and 2), will I finish what I've started.  I have a history of starting projects, getting bored and moving on to the next.  Or maybe not even a "next" and just languishing.  (Yes, I have finished projects, I'm not a total washout, lol.)  The third component would be what I could do once I finished.  There don't appear to be many members in Southern Oregon.  I would totally attend a movie premier, show up at halloween functions, etc., but I really want to do more.  I would love to attend charitable events, visit sick children, etc., but without more people here I'm not sure I'm up to forming a one man show.  Sure, I can and probably would drive half a day for an event in a bigger city now & then, but it becomes more of a pain.

So here I am, curiously exploring the possibilities of getting my own gear, learning some stuff along the way, and meeting new friends.

(note: this is a bit of a repost from the whitearmor.net forums, which I edited for clarity and local relevance)

Offline vader55th

• Cloud City Retired
  • TD-8955
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Medford area hello
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:12:09 PM »
Hello there. You do have fellow troopers down South here myself included. there is a member  in Klamath Falls and one in Grants Pass.As far as a costume really it depends on what costume you would like to pursue. Any one in mind?
James
TD8955 / BH8955 / DS8955

Offline Rocket

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »
Awesome, that's encouraging.  I was looking at the 501st website and saw one person in GP.  The more the merrier.  I'm leaning heavily toward TK Stormtrooper, but still learning the different variation.

Offline MetalJedi

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

Although many of our troops do happen in the Portland area, we do have a few members in southern Oregon, and we do have some annual events in Grants Pass and Klamath Falls.

The best advice I can offer is to take your time and do your research. You can build the Star Wars costume of your dreams and join a wonderful community of fans who actively support many local charities.

If you have any questions, then please do not hesitate to ask.
Harry - TK/TB 6472

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
Welcome to the forums
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »
Welcome! You're smart in checking in with the crew at FISD, there's tons of information there and check out the EIB and Centurion build threads for ideas on how to build some very nice armor!

As far as cost goes, take your time and maybe see about getting funds together for a helmet, then armor after that? It's always nice to have a finished up helmet to display while you wait on armor. Like some other folks have said, do your research and feel free to ask lots of questions before you spend any money. :)
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Rocket

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »
Welcome to the forums

Thanks!  I've been seeing your profile pic here and there, and I have to say, you look rather mean (in a good way!).  Awesome makeup and presentation.   :D

As far as cost goes, take your time and maybe see about getting funds together for a helmet, then armor after that?

That's a great idea, I'll consider it.  I'm a crazy researcher, almost to my detriment, so I won't have a problem there.

Offline td0573

• 501st Legion Member
  • Dave
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »
Welcome Trooper!

I live in Grants Pass not too far from you. I understand what you mean about all the choices you have in costuming. That's one of the great thing about our Club, there are soooo many costumes or armor to choose from.

I started out with regular Stormtrooper armor, then converted to a Sandtrooper. I've been around the Legion for almost 15 yrs and picked up a few other costumes(Imperial Officer) and um....a few Jedi ones too ;)

If you ever want to chat or come by and check out my armor (or try it on), just shoot me a text or call.

Dave Anderson
TD573
cell 239-677-8084
It's Good to be Legion...

Offline vader55th

• Cloud City Retired
  • TD-8955
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »
Hey Dave, it's been a while.......
James
TD8955 / BH8955 / DS8955

Offline Rocket

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:32:18 PM »
Not too far at all.  I have lived and worked in GP in the past, so I'm very familiar with it.  I commuted there for over 10 years.  I get over there from time to time still.  There was a Stormtrooper at Tinseltown Medford the night it premiered, that wasn't you, was it?

Offline td0573

• 501st Legion Member
  • Dave
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
No, it was not. I saw him too.

I went with my family so putting on the armor was not in the cards that time.

Offline td0573

• 501st Legion Member
  • Dave
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 02:59:56 PM »
Hey James,

It has been way too long. Got all busy with the Legion Council and ambassador stuff...but now I can go back to being a line trooper as usual ;)

Offline Rocket

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »
No, it was not. I saw him too.

I went with my family so putting on the armor was not in the cards that time.

After I saw that guy, I simply thought, "It's high time I get off my butt and do something cool like that."  So, here I am.   :D

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:09 AM »
Welcome aboard, mate. My mom in law lives down by Grants Pass, and I'm trying to coordinate when an event happens down there that I can visit her and do son-in-law things for her and troop at the same time. And, not be on call when they happen.
TKs are awesome, but you can get started trooping as a Reserve pilot and from there many options are available such as bridge crewman, Gunner, TIE pilot and Navy Trooper. I may be missing a couple. TIE pilot was my first plan but the Gunner came to be less expensive and I can still get a TIE kit someday...
 Back on the TK front, a lot of folks got their next set of armor from ANOVOS, but it was all pre-order and I don't think anyone has gotten their kits yet.  So, quality of their pulls has yet to be determined, and when they actually start shipping to us out here is at least to me unknown.

Enjoy the research, it's part of the fun!
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Offline Rocket

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:05:50 AM »
Thanks Dax!  I'm really leaning TK, even more than before.  I've been researching getting the armor, so hopefully soon I will have that squared away.  It looks like there's been an event at Iguana Comics in Grants Pass during the spring these last few years, hopefully this year too.

Tags: