Author Topic: To Be or Not To Be...  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Shaolin Shogun

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
To Be or Not To Be...
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
...a Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper or Boba Fett (ESB or ROTJ)?

If I am not mistaken, before one becomes a Sandtrooper, you must be a Stormtrooper.  My only issue is, once I have a perfect trooper outfit, how can I bring myself to "mess" it up to become a Sandtrooper!?  How difficult is it to trim/put together a Stormtrooper outfit?  I know there are videos out there that show you how to do it, but then again there are videos that show you "how to become the next Bill Gates".  And let's be honest, that's more than likely not happening.  If I was to buy an outfit, should I buy the parts and trim and build the trooper myself, or should I just spend the extra $ to purchase one already trimmed, ready to be worn?  Apparently there is an option of buying one that is trimmed, but not assembled, which costs more than the base price of untrimmed, but less than the ready to wear set. 

Also, I have seriously considered Boba Fett. My other question is:  how many Cloud City Garrison members are Boba Fett ESB and how many are ROTJ?  Maybe if there were more of one version, I may go the other route.

Thank you for your time. 

Daniel in Eugene, OR.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:47:55 PM by Shaolin Shogun »

Offline carpe mindiem

Re: To Be or Not To Be...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
Welcome!

Technically, you wouldn't have to build (and have approved) a perfect stormtrooper before you turn it into a sandtrooper, but unless your heart is set on a sandy, you also might not want to immediately dirty it up. :)  It's not unusual for folks to built a stormtrooper, wear it for awhile until it gets pretty dinged up with battle damage, and then convert it to a sandtrooper later.

Both stormtroopers and sandtroopers are great costumes to have because there's no limit to how many can make an appearance at an event (unlike Boba--there can only be one of him somewhere at once) and they look great in groups!

As far as how assembled you want it to be, that's totally up to you to decide how much time you want to spend on it, how much money you have, and how inclined you are to learn how to do fun things with plastic armor. None of it is hard and there are tons of folks here who will offer advice and assistance along the way no matter which option you choose. Just be wary of something already completely assembled. Unless your body fits perfectly with how it's put together, you may end up having to redo it anyway.

We have a few Bobas and Bobas-in-progress in the garrison, though I can't think off the top of my head if there are any in the Eugene area. I don't know which version they all are either. Someone else will chime in, I'm sure.

Ultimately you should build the costume you want to build. Whatever you choose will be great!

Offline Shaolin Shogun

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply, carpe mindiem. 

I guess it really is up to me to make that difficult decision on who to build.  I never thought about using a Stormtrooper for awhile until it was beat up and then convert it.  I have always wanted a trooper outfit, but Mr. Fett is just such an awesome character. 

You are right about buying one already assembled (and I'm not talking about Rubies or any other mass produced one), but the website that does 501st outfits and have been referred by members on the Stormtrooper forums.  I don't mind taking time to build the trooper, I am just not a crafty guy.  I type on a keyboard for 8 hours a day, so I'm better with my hands at typing (normally) than building from a kit.

I think you are right about no Fetts being in the Eugene area, that is why I was also leaning towards him.   True, costs will be significantly higher with him, but in the end, it would be worth it.  It will just have to be  a slower build.

No matter which character I choose, I know I will have the help and support from all the great members of the legion. 

Thanks again for the support.

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
Hi Daniel!

I'm fortunate enough to have both a Stormtrooper and Boba Fett costume, and I just recently was approved for my Boba, so some of the details are fresh on my head. So, here's a mini dump on my experience so far. (I just the 501st in January of this year)

Stormtrooper - I went the route you're thinking and had someone build my TK for me. I used RS Propmasters, and I was super pleased with the kit. It did have some adjusts that needed to be made, and for the 501st, it's not only about being accurate but it does need to fit correctly. Measurements being sent to someone can only do so much! Anovos is the official licensed Stormtrooper that a lot of folks have on order, but we're still waiting to see how those turn out, and how much in the way of modifications are needed to make it good to go. My daughter was born right before I ordered my armor, and I had them build it as I figured I wouldn't have time to get it done in the next year or so. Knowing what I know now, there's something cool about putting it all together yourself and I'd go that route given the choice again. There's lots of guides out there, and we do hold the occasional "armor party" where everyone can get together and work on their armor. I imagine once the Anovos kits come in, there will be more than one! Either way, if you haven't already, check out www.whitearmor.net/forum/ for all things Stormtrooper. Sounds like you've got a good start on info!

Boba Fett - I want to say we have 4 ROTJ/SE Fetts active right now? No ESB that I'm aware of, but pick the suit you want! It's a huge time/money investment for Fett, so if you go for him go with what you want to build! For resources on how to build a Fett, go to www.thedentedhelmet.com and prepare to research! I started my Fett in end of February and was approved early this month, and that's considered a pretty fast build I think.

Feel free to ask questions, and we could always use spotters at events if you want to check out the armor up close and meet some new Star Wars fans!
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Shaolin Shogun

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »
First of all, congrats on your daughter, Lidocaine! 

I am also registered with the dented helmet, and have spent a couple hours already searching those forums and learning alot.   I wonder why there are more Boba Fett ROTJ than ESB?  Looks like a more popular version. 

For the stormtrooper, I have also visited your recommended website along with others including tk409.com.  All very great forums and websites.  The trooper outfit I was looking into is made by Authenticprops.  Looks very nice.  I am not sure I have seen or know what the Anovos style is.  You are right, actually putting together an outfit gives you that sense of pride and accomplishment.  Im just afraid of screwing it all up lol.  I think get together's are a great idea, especially for noobies.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. 

Tags: