Author Topic: Finally going for it.  (Read 7772 times)

Offline Ronime

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Finally going for it.
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:57:58 AM »
Hello all!

A few years ago when the Star Wars exhibit was at OMSI was the first time I had heard about the 501st, and thought it would be fun to join. Well, finally after reading up on a bunch of info on several forums and some videos, decided to go ahead with it!

I love that the group does a lot of charity work, and seems to be a little more involved than a lot of charity work I've done, and a bit more fun with the costumes ;) I have some costuming and decent prop experience, along with a wife and father-in-law who enjoys prop working.

While the role play aspect in public would take some work for me without laughing or getting out of character, I think I could fit in with the group, especially with several of the charity events down where my family is in Eugene. I'm in Beaverton in the Tanasbourne area, and seems there are a few roughly in this area, it would be fun to meet some new people, as I still don't know many people in the Portland area.

Overall, I think this would be a great way to make new friends, have fun, and help out people. My wife also is tempted to join, but is having a hard time finding a female Sith in the EU that fits her looks and her talon-emitter double saber. If anyone has advice for either of us, we are open to them ;)

Here's to hoping for the best!

~Ron
Ron

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
  • Awards Trooped 25+ times
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Finally going for it.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
Well welcome from Kashyyyk Base Rebel Legion. You dont have to have an approved costume to come to an event and hang out, get costuming ideas etc. Does your wife have to be a Sith? Most of us are members of the 501st AND the RL...........................Old Tony Kenobi
                                        XO Kashyyyk Base
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Offline Aysel

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
Hello and welcome from the "other side of the house"! My advice for your wife, if she hasn't found it already, is to get familiar with Flagship Eclipse it's the home of all the acceptable 501st EU characters. It's helped me a lot in my build of my first 501st costume. and for the both of you, this is a great group (yes I'm biased :mrgreen:) take your time in deciding on what you want to do, then go for it and have fun.

Offline Ronime

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
Well welcome from Kashyyyk Base Rebel Legion. You dont have to have an approved costume to come to an event and hang out, get costuming ideas etc. Does your wife have to be a Sith? Most of us are members of the 501st AND the RL...........................Old Tony Kenobi
                                        XO Kashyyyk Base

Thanks :) Here are a few pictures with her and the sabers we have. Her's is a staff that can be split into 2 separate sabers, and she has purple blades with them, and the other is mine, pretty accurate for Obi Wan from A New Hope. Here are links to the full size pics so you can get an idea. Also note that this is just a halloween robe, not part of any costume we make for her. She also JUST came home from a soccer game, so her hair is a bit of a mess.

http://www.ronimestudios.com/images/501st/IMG_4623.JPG
http://www.ronimestudios.com/images/501st/IMG_4624.JPG
http://www.ronimestudios.com/images/501st/IMG_4625.JPG
Ron

Offline Ronime

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
Hello and welcome from the "other side of the house"! My advice for your wife, if she hasn't found it already, is to get familiar with Flagship Eclipse it's the home of all the acceptable 501st EU characters. It's helped me a lot in my build of my first 501st costume. and for the both of you, this is a great group (yes I'm biased :mrgreen:) take your time in deciding on what you want to do, then go for it and have fun.

Thanks!

She was actually going through hat last night, haha. Looks like the only we found so far that has a purple saber is Mara Jade, as far as the official and/or EU characters go. She really likes purple sabers. :P Also, our sabers do not have sound, hope that isn't a problem. We were originally going to use them for a fanfilm so we wanted to get soundless ones and then add them in the editing process. Anyway, she is open to any and all recommendations that might work for her purple saber fetish ;)
Ron

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »
In order to be a member of 501st/RL you must first have a costume recognized as "cannon", or movie/book accurate. After that you can create any character you wish, within reason...........ol tony
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Offline Aysel

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »
there are lots of sabers out there without sound, it's not a requirement, just really nice to have. there is one female jedi (that I know of off the top of my head) that uses a double blade if your wife isn't set on 501st and rebel legion is ok with her, Bastila Shan from Knights of the Old Republic, which is one that isn't done very often. Whatever she lands on to do there are LOTS of people both locally and in the groups that'll be more than happy to help.

Offline Ronime

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »
I have no idea why I didn't think of Bastila, she's my favorite character in KOTOR! Kim could pull her off too, and actually likes her design, not to mention she hates wigs, so that would be perfect. She is still looking around, but says it's a good potential one for her. She's a little tall, but oh well, just adds to the "Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?" that she teases me about constantly. She's 5'10 while I'm barely 5'6.
Ron

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »
Ron Welcome to Cloud City Garrison, Glad you are interested in being part of the group and or Groups.  The Bastila is a wonderful character. The fun is doing your homework on it and looking thru many pics. Ask many question visit the 501st site under costumes or The Rebel Legion.  While your planning , come out to an Event to meet us. say hello. Many folks start off as spotters which help Troopers and take pics and crowd control when needed. just PM or let us know which one you want to meet us at.

Troop on.

Allan
 CO, Cloud City Garrison
Allan Quick

Offline furiousstylz

• Cloud City Retired
  • The maple kind yeah.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:07:04 AM »
Hi Ron,

My welcome too, as I'm actually one of those in your area; I'm over by Sunset High School. If I can help you with anything in the local area (like where the best burger is) please feel free to PM me.

And as far as "role-playing" goes, I've never had to be in character. The TK armor sort of does the work for you!  I still have to remind myself that smiling for pictures is irrelevant...
JOHNNY SERVIN
  T  K  8  8  9  7

How do you make God laugh?
      Make a plan.

Offline vader55th

• Cloud City Retired
  • TD-8955
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 08:23:16 AM »
Welcome, hope to see you at a troop in the near future. Troop On, James
James
TD8955 / BH8955 / DS8955

Offline john.wilnau

• Cloud City Member
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
Welcome to the Legion!!!

You will have a great time. There is alot of awesome people in CCG.
-John<br />\"Stop that ship!! Blast\'em!\"
TK4163

Offline Ronime

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Wow, a lot more replies!

We are checking with the 501st to be sure she works, but Kim really likes Mara Oola Orlo, the bounty hunter that you see in the SWTOR Deceived trailer. I'm pretty sure she is considered canon, but we'll see. She likes her armor a lot better than any trooper. I'm just making the stunt armor from A New Hope, so I have it much easier than she does ;)

If/when we also make costumes for the Rebel Legion, she would be Bastila, but no idea what I would be. She wants to be able to do events with me, and we can really only do one costume each for us.

I'll be sending you a message furious, my wife actually went there so it would be pretty easy to find a good meeting place.

From the responses to this, it looks like we are making a really good choice in attempting to join you all. I'm originally from Eugene and moved up to Beaverton with Kim 3 years ago, but never really made many friends up here. It looks like this is a great place to meet a bunch of you!

Thanks for the warm welcome, and we will certainly be asking for costuming help, especially with the one she wants to do (pending approval).
Ron

Offline Ronime

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
I also have another question, not sure if I'm allowed to post in the events forum yet.

On the Free Comic Book Day event at TFAW, I might have my family come up for Mother's Day, and thought it would be a good way for everyone to meet, since my family are all sort of geeks. Also, if at all possible, would there be a way to get a couple of you to do any type of short dance, even if a few seconds, for my sister? She just got diagnosed with a pretty rare disease that she's terrified she'll die from, though there is a 2/3 chance she'll be fine. It would brighten up her day a lot, and even if it has to be away from the event to stay in line with the trooper handbook. Just to clarify, she actually isn't dying, there is just a 1/3 chance from the disease itself. Our family is too stubborn to be taken out by that ;)

Anyways, I will repost this in the event thread if you need, but wanted to at least get this out while unsure of my posting privileges.

Thanks again!
Ron

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:08:43 AM »
In order to be a member of 501st/RL you must first have a costume recognized as "cannon", or movie/book accurate. After that you can create any character you wish, within reason...........ol tony

“Canon” used to be such a rare word that there was no temptation to
confuse it with “cannon”: a large piece of artillery. The debate over
the literary canon (a list of officially-approved works) and the
popularity of Pachelbel’s Canon (an imitative musical form related to
the common “round”) have changed all that—confusion is rampant. Just
remember that the big gun is a “cannon.” All the rest are “canons.” Note
that there are metaphorical uses of “cannon” for objects shaped like
large guns, such as a horse’s “cannon bone.”

Tags: