Author Topic: <Supreme Vade costume.  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Sithlordfaust

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
<Supreme Vade costume.
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
hi all.
I dont know much about armor/costume quality or acceptability so Im asking you guys.
Ive got an opportunity to buy a supreme vader costume for $400
are they worth that much. I know I wouldnt pay full retail for one. but is this a good deal?
How much of it is acceptable for membership and how much would need replacing?

Im really thinking of doing a life size for my son... if not good enough for membership.. would it be good enough for that purpose.
Ive never seen one IRL only the marketting pics... and I know Ive never gotten a big mac that looked like the ones on McDs price board,

wadya think?

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: <Supreme Vade costume.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:09:27 PM »
I get this question A LOT, as do most of the GMLs in the legion, and to put it in short....

"Don't waste your money."

To answer your question in long form:

Vader is the centerpiece of the 501st. His appearance has to be superior to all builds, and be
able to stand up to some serious scrutiny. The Rubies Vader, especially right out of the box,
doesn't even come close to the standards that are required by the 501st.

Just some of the modifications that are required are

Shins' cloth back needs to be cut off and replaced with buckles.
Shins, Belt Boxes, Shoulders, helmet all need to be repainted.
Belt needs to be replaced with Leather Belt.
Buckle needs to be replaced and be aluminum.
Helmet shape needs to be modified, making the nose more angular and correct.
Chest box rods, and brass pieces, need to be replaced with metal parts.
Electrical orientation of chest box needs to be reversed.
Cape will need to be hemmed to correct length.

These are just some, all that I can think of off the top of my head (I have a complete list somewhere,) of the required mods.

Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline Sithlordfaust

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
wow.

I knew it wasnt acceptable out of the box, and was just mildly curious about mods needed for mbrshp but DANG!

doesnt even sound like Id want to build it as a life size diarama for my sons room.
He is obsessed with one of the old Icons (i think...) stautues that is in a local video store.
so I was thinkin of building him one but possed on a diarama stand either like ,the carbon chamber floor or the scene
in cloud city where hes got his hand stretched out ,gripping.. imploring Luke to join him.

still curious to see one though as the icons kinda looks like poop to my eyes but my boy loves it.
though... I imagine as he gets older... he'll begin to see it with my eyes

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »
I found the list I was talking about....Here are the required mods to get a rubies Vader into the 501st.

Helmet - needs to be replaced with an ROTS MR or equivalent OR modded to appear symmetrical and painted solid black
Chest armour - the Rubies is modelled on the ROTS armour but is on the lightweight side. It will not stand up to heavy trooping in the long term. Recommend reinforcement from underneath or replace with an alternate ROTS set. The Rubies needs to painted in the accurate colors and the shoulder pauldrons permanently fixed in place.
Chest box - needs to be modded as follows: 1. replace rods and coin slots with accurate metal pieces; 2. repaint box; and 3. light orientation must be reversed.
Belt and boxes - needs to be modded as follows: 1. repaint boxes and buckle; 2. replace foam belt with leather substitute; and 3. replace plastic knobs with metal reproductions.
Shins - modelled on ROTS shins; minimally passable if painted appropriately. Most replace these with a sturdier version.
Cloak - needs to be lined, hemmed to floor length, and an accurate chain added
Surcoat - passable as is, but most eventually upgrade
Bodysuit - passable as is, but is notoriously hot. Most upgrade this to leather or pleather
Codpiece - passable as is, most upgrade
Gloves - the Rubies gloves are not stitched accurately and will need to be replaced.
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline Ex-titan

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 09:03:47 AM »
I love my Rubie's Cape, robe, helmet, suit, and shins  :grin:
As I'm building several Vader costumes, Rubie's stuff is going to help out tremendously.
I'm using modified Rubie's statue armor and chestboxes I make myself. Gonna work great.
J

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
If this is for your son's personal enjoyment, then by all means get it. If my dad built me a Vader diorama when I was little, I'd have peed my pants everytime I saw it.

However, if its for legion membership, STAY FAR AWAY!!!!

Like tony said, Vader IS the 501st, and a Vader costume should look as epic (and accurate) as possible....

That's my two cents anyway.

Offline Ex-titan

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Precisely. Me, I have never done anything to legion spacs and I'm happier for it!  :wink:

Tags: