Author Topic: Hello from Medford  (Read 5697 times)

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Hello from Medford
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
Hi I'm not much of a costumer, but I'd like to be. Interested in joining up with locals, anyone in Southern Oregon? Looking for help starting an animated series clone trooper costume. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

-soup
Cris

Offline Mosi

Re: Hello from Medford
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »
Welcome!

Not to discourage you, but an animated clone is an extremely difficult costume to build so it will definitely take some time. It is one helluva cool costume though!
pew pew

Offline Sorcerer1089

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:49 AM »
I am a newbie in Vancouver who has also been considering an animated trooper costume. I have seen kits out there. They are pretty expensive, but probably worth it.. Stormtrooperguy.com has some extensive pics of his building of a Captain Rex kit, but he does not sell anything that I know of.

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
Thanks for the info and responses. In your opinion what would be an easier costume to build for a beginner like me? Also is there any trooping going on in Southern Oregon?
Cris

Offline Mosi

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:40:05 PM »
I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T have that be your first costume, I'm just saying it's a difficult one to tackle. If you only have money for one costume in the near future, then by all means, build the one that is your favorite. If you want to cut your teeth on something a bit more simple first, then a TK, TB, or TIE pilot are good ones if you want to have a full helmet type of costume. Otherwise, starting with an Imperial Crewman is always the simplest and cheapest to start with, and is also the base layer for the TIE pilot, gunner, and Navy trooper.
pew pew

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »
I should have formally introduced myself I'm sorry!

My Name is Cris, and I live in Medford, OR.

Like all of you I am an ultimate SW fan, I have great memories of my dad taking me on opening day to each of the first 3 films (I was a baby for "A New Hope" it was my 1st film, and my parents said I didn't cry thru the movie at all). Later when the prequels came out I was able to take him opening day to those three films. In 2007 I landed a job at Lucasfilm. One of the final memories I have of my dad is that he came to visit me at work and got to meet his hero George Lucas. He was so happy! Last year he passed away unexpectedly, and I miss him terribly. SW was something that both my dad and I shared and I will never forget that. I remember that he was really fond of the 501st, and having seen you guys in action and what you stand for I really want to help give back and share the love of SW I had with my dad with other people.

Thanks again for reading and it's really great to meet you all.

-cris
Cris

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »
I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T have that be your first costume, I'm just saying it's a difficult one to tackle. If you only have money for one costume in the near future, then by all means, build the one that is your favorite. If you want to cut your teeth on something a bit more simple first, then a TK, TB, or TIE pilot are good ones if you want to have a full helmet type of costume. Otherwise, starting with an Imperial Crewman is always the simplest and cheapest to start with, and is also the base layer for the TIE pilot, gunner, and Navy trooper.

HI Mosi thanks for the reply, TK or Clone I gotta be a trooper in honor of my dad! :)
Cris

Offline Mosi

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:04:59 PM »

HI Mosi thanks for the reply, TK or Clone I gotta be a trooper in honor of my dad! :)

Can't think of a better reason to start wearing plastic! You still with LFL?
pew pew

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
I am still. I'm in SF during the week, OR on the weekends :)
Cris

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »
Hey Cris,
Welcome to the boards. Pm Sent
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline Mosi

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »

Okay, do tell us what you do there! How awesome!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:01:49 PM by Mosi »
pew pew

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 03:52:21 PM »

Okay, do tell us what you there! How awesome!

been working with the animated series, hence the want for an animated clone trooper costume of course! :)
Cris

Offline Mosi

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 04:14:22 PM »

Okay, do tell us what you there! How awesome!

been working with the animated series, hence the want for an animated clone trooper costume of course! :)

Awesome Sauce! Dave F. seems like a great guy to work with.... and he loves the 501st! It may not be a bad idea to solicite help from the Golden Gate Garrison with an animated CT if you are there M-F. Maybe it's something you can do after work? There are a few people here in the Portland area that have built Clones, but it's a bit of a drive.

If you are pretty handy with model building and the like, then building a clone wouldn't be that difficult. The big difference with the 1st and 2nd Trilogy trooper costumes are that the 1st trilogy have the "seamless" look and require more TLC when building. You have to be pretty careful to trim and join the two halves (a leg for example) together enough that there isn't a massive gap. Then you have to fill the gap w/bondo and sand it down, then paint. You don't have to do the seamless with a TK since the two halves are glued together at the front and back ridge-line.... .or are joined with a joining strip if you need more room. No bondo, no sanding, no fuss.

I built a Kashyyyk Trooper not too long ago and had to do some seamless parts. Between that, sewing, painting, gluing, it kicked my arse  :mrgreen:   http://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?topic=5155.0
pew pew

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 04:02:31 PM »
Yeah Dave is a cool guy, very approachable, down to earth... although he has a very unhealthy obsession with plo koon. lol As far as building goes... I am not much of a craftsman, sewer, etc., at all. I'm an artist and can paint but that's the extent to it. Ive been poking around on other forums and although people say Boba Fett is a tough build there seems to be tons of pieces floating around for sale... I'm hoping after Celebration madness is over I can sit down and really map out a plan on which costume I want to begin. I appreciate all the help and info - I really feel the love in this Garrison, I'm really glad I joined!
Cris

Offline djsoup

• Cloud City Retired
  • TC 5409
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
Looks like I got a solid lead on some animated trooper gear. Thanks everyone for your help!
Cris

Tags: