Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4881 times)

Offline The Kreator

• 501st Legion Member
  • TK/SL-8992
    • TK-8992
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Introduction
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
Just wanted to post a little introduction --

As you can see from my avatar, I'm really in to Batman and had a fantastic time portraying The Dark Knight at Tony's Kingdom of Comics this past Saturday for FCBD with several of you!  It was my first official event in costume, and what a positive experience!  Early on, I felt a bit out of place as Batman around so many Star Wars characters, but I thank those of you who welcomed me in and made me feel like a part of the group!  (It was also great having a top quality Joker to interact with - and we even had a couple fun cross-over pic among the different characters.  Really excited to see all the photos when they're posted.)

Simply getting to meet other costumers was great, because I didn't realize how many costumers were in the Oregon area.  As part of the Batman costuming forums, there really aren't too many locals besides one or two up in the Portland area.  Certainly nothing organized like the 501st and other Star Wars groups.

My whole goal in putting together the Bat suits was doing charity and fundraiser events, and I'm so glad to be able to volunteer my time at Tony's shop and excited to participate in future events.

But, I'm also very motivated to build a Star Wars suit and join up with the 501st!  Haven't decided which character I'd like to be, but I really enjoy finding a unique or challenging character to pull off.  I'm a big fan of monsters and creature effects, so I'm leaning towards a more alien suit, but have always wanted to do up an armored Trooper suit someday too.  Coming up with ideas for costumes, and discussing build techniques and the technical aspects of costuming is something I really enjoy.

Professionally, I'm a full time web developer and overall IT nerd.  :)

Looking forward to getting to know more of you and really happy to find this group!

-David

Offline TD-8821

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
David nice to meet you!Hopefully coming in novenber we do have a comic show where you would fit in nicely!!
We can help with any star wars costume so please ask away wiyj questions!
Rob8821
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »
Welcome, David.  It is awesome to have more costumers that go a different direction from Star Wars, as well as someone interested in joining the fold with us!  I hope to meet you some time and check out the sweet Batman suit!

Keep your eyes and ears open here; I believe a general costuming forum for all people interested in all costumes is looming on the horizon!~

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
  • His Royal Highness the Alien King
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »
Good to see you on the forums David! It was a blast trooping with you this past week.

There are all sorts of awesome Star Wars Aliens to Choose from even a few that are armored up... like Zuckuss :)

Let us know what we can help you with, and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

-P
Paul

Offline Daverian

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:05:05 AM »
Welcome David!
We will help you any way we can.
-Dave

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »
You know... Cloud Cty doesn't have any Wampas! :mrgreen:

Welcome, David. Glad to see another costumer interested in doing what we do.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline sigmarue

• Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:33 AM »
From the Rebel side of things, welcome! The Bat suit looks awesome! I'm glad you found your way over here. You'll find that a lot of the people here have costumes outside of the Star Wars universe and we're pretty proud of them, too.

Hope to see you trooping with us soon!  :mrgreen:

P.s. Make a tauntaun costume please.

Offline cojake

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
It was nice to meet you.  Loved your Batsuit!  The Joker looked pretty dang cool as well.  Would love to have you join us here as well.  Jason  AKA Boba
"It's all part of the therapy"
BH-4865  ESB Boba Fett

Offline The Kreator

• 501st Legion Member
  • TK/SL-8992
    • TK-8992
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm excited to get more involved!  I've always got plenty of costume ideas, and certainly appreciate the suggestions.

As crazy as it sounds, has anyone ever done a Jabba?  Transporting something like that might prove difficult, but I think it could be very cool if done properly.  I worked in technical theater throughout high school, and we had a full size Audrey II puppet for Little Shop of Horrors.  It was pretty awesome, and I always think back to that and wonder about doing a big hollow foam jabba, brushed with latex to form the skin.  (I have a big muscle suit done similarly, but haven't decided how I'm going to use that just yet.)   :D

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »
Welcome to the CCG forums! Another Garrison on the East coast made a Jabba float for a parade once. I think it had a tongue puppet inside! :lol:

-Kyle
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm excited to get more involved!  I've always got plenty of costume ideas, and certainly appreciate the suggestions.

As crazy as it sounds, has anyone ever done a Jabba?  Transporting something like that might prove difficult, but I think it could be very cool if done properly.  I worked in technical theater throughout high school, and we had a full size Audrey II puppet for Little Shop of Horrors.  It was pretty awesome, and I always think back to that and wonder about doing a big hollow foam jabba, brushed with latex to form the skin.  (I have a big muscle suit done similarly, but haven't decided how I'm going to use that just yet.)   :D

Audrey II.... Little Shop of Horrors... worked in technical theatre throughout high school??? Did you go to Oregon City, by any chance? We had Little Shop of Horrors as out Spring play my junior year! I remember that full size Audry II puppet, vividly!

Doing a Jabba costume would be wicked-crazy cool... if it could be pulled off. I think Kyle is right that it would work better as a float prop than an actual costume... but it would be awesome to see!

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
Maybe Audrey II pupets are more common than I though... I was going to ask you if you used to live in Grants Pass... we had an awesome Audrey II puppet for a show that was done with a community theater group.
Paul

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »
SWEET ODIN'S RAVEN

Everyone go check out this guys myspace page!

Your Freddy and Jason Costumes are intense.... freaking awesome... wowzers. So anyway, my new best friend, I have a Predator Costume, with a Freddy glove on it, and I downright need a Freddy vs Preddy pic... and probably a Jason vs Predator pic or fifty as well.

Smashing freaking work man

Now a fan,
-p
Paul

Offline The Kreator

• 501st Legion Member
  • TK/SL-8992
    • TK-8992
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »
Thanks for checking out my MySpace gallery!  I've been having a lot of fun with Freddy and Jason lately, (and actually have quite a big surprise in the works as far as Freddy is concerned coming soon!)

I went to McNary, so I guess a lot of the schools did Little Shop.  I'm wondering if it may have been the same puppet though?  I remember it was commissioned by someone, and we rented it out to other schools (primarily because we didn't have the room to store it with all our other projects.)

I saw your Predator with the Freddy glove on the belt (and Batman's head on a lance!)   :lol:   Looks awesome!

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »
Welcome David.  It was fun Tropping with you at Tony's.   I was the Stormtrooper that said to you "Who are you?"  Great fun.  The pictures will be up in the next 7 days.

Peace, Allan
Allan Quick

Tags: