Author Topic: Advice please!  (Read 4307 times)

JadesFire

Advice please!
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:22:33 AM »
I am going to be helping a friend make a costume for Sakuracon... she wants to dress as her mage from WoW, I know not many people here like the game but I want to do a good costume... not gaudy and whatnot. I t hought maybe people owuld have some advice on how to keep it in budget? I want to make the base a velvet-like material, but since real velvet is hella expensive I was wondering what would be a good substitute? I also amd going to be making the bwon parts from suede and was wondering what a good cheap substitute would be for the mock-up costume. The third question is about the shoulders, which are going to be pauldrens that have some bulk... was wonderin what the best material would be. Kinda thinking about carving some foam and covering it with the materials the rest of the costume will be made from, but I know nothing about that. I know people have made specialized pieces before and thought I would ask. My friend is fairly small so I need something that won't be too heavy. I would gladly take any advice in this matter, as this will be something of a rush project (the con is in two weeks lol) I have told her the final product probably won't be ready to go but the cheap-material mock up should do fine for now, then we will work on her final costume once the mock up is done.
Thanks guys and gals!

oh PS I will be starting my Mara as soon as I get my nect paycheck, and I have one neck seal almost done. It's looking awsome but I need to find a good adhesive remover because sewing through the velcro gets it sticky >.< Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Jade

Offline Trumby

Re: Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »
Con in two weeks? Months, you mean :P

As for help on the sewing..I wish I could help you there, but I can't sew so I will just point you to a place that can help: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=83782&highlight=world+of+warcraft

Or just make a new thread in this forum: http://forums.cosplay.com/search.php?searchid=2166056

Offline Stomper

• Cloud City Retired
  • OLD IMPERIAL GOON
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 06:20:39 PM »
A good adhesive remover is "Goof-Off", and "Fast Orange" hand cleaner does pretty good too.
Tony Krewson
TK/TD-4063
SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS
MOLON LABE

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »
For the Shoulder pauldrons, you can get foam from Joe-Annes... i forget what type its called, ask for the foam they use for seat cushions. Its sold in a wide variety of thickness's.
If you have one of those electric turkey carvers you can cut the foam really easily into a wide variety of shapes. I would imagine that this method
would be kind of difficult however. Definitely don't try cutting foam with scissors, it won't work too well ... (experiance talking :P). 

The best part with foam is its light and it can get squished without damage :). I guess you would have to sew cloth over the foam to give it the appropriate texture and color...
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

JadesFire

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »
Thanks! (lol the sewing isn't the problem, I can sew alright and I will get better with practice.) As for the con I didn't know it was two months she told me two weeks... I can't go this year so I kinda went meh ok whatever XD

I'll check out the foam at Jo-anns and I am sure she will have something that can cut it :D

Thank you all!

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »
I kinda went meh ok whatever XD

What? You kinda went meth??

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »
From urbandictionary.com:
meh    
Used in the greatest tv show of all time, The Simpsons. In the episode Hungry, Hungry Homer, Bart and Lisa respond to a homer inquiry with "meh".

Homer: Kids, how would you like to go... to Blockoland!
Bart & Lisa: Meh.
Homer: But the TV, gave the impression that...
Bart: We said "meh".
Lisa: M-E-H. Meh.
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:29:51 AM »
From urbandictionary.com:
meh    
Used in the greatest tv show of all time, The Simpsons. In the episode Hungry, Hungry Homer, Bart and Lisa respond to a homer inquiry with "meh".

Homer: Kids, how would you like to go... to Blockoland!
Bart & Lisa: Meh.
Homer: But the TV, gave the impression that...
Bart: We said "meh".
Lisa: M-E-H. Meh.

Ha Ha!  The STUDENT is now the TEACHER!  :)

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
The circle is now complete.  When I left you, I was but the student.  Now I am the master.

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:34:05 AM »
If you don't want to use suede due to cost, what about vinyl? Depending on color and thickness, you can get it by the yard from cheap to a little pricey. Foam is a good angle. Even Fred Meyer has some back in their automotive section. It is to redo RV seats. A sharp utility knife would, or should, probably work just as well as any other kind of cutting implement. I would maybe look at the cost of felt, as opposed to velvet. Maybe it might be a better solution?

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

JadesFire

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »
lol she wanted to go with silk to start with i was like uhm.... no. lol We'll price things out this weekend at the store and decide on a cloth... I think I want something the wieght of velvet cause then it will sit right, but we'll see XD
Jade

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
Yeah, weighty cloth will drape nicely, perhaps if we had a screen shot of her char we could give some more suggestions...(if wanted)
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

JadesFire

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 09:41:34 AM »
we went with basic cloth to start with... she was taken aback a bit by pricing >.< (I knew she would be lol)
So far I have part of the top cut and sewn... but not a lot of time to work on it so blah. I hope to finish the top by this weekend, although it will not have the brown overlay yet lol. Thank you all for advice, and if you want ill post a pic sometime and keep updates going :D
Jade

Tags: