Author Topic: names?  (Read 12338 times)

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: names?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 06:19:23 AM »
You asked for it...

This is the name of the hero character I play in the Star Wars RPG, as well as the primary NPC hero if the team needs a Jedi.  I?ve been using this name since I was six or seven, I think, and it has always stuck.  I originally began using it because I thought it was cool sounding and now it is a part of me.  I use it for my Ren Faire persona, my online name everywhere, and the name of my main character in almost every RPG I take part in.  Heck, I?ve been using it for so long that I actually answer to it if someone were to call me by it (how pathetic is that).  As for what it means?

Volund was the name of a Paladin in one of the first Dungeon?s and Dragons novels I read as a child.  This was a book from first edition.

Starfire was the name of a Transformer.  This was one of the most memorable Christmas gifts my Grandmother bought me.

Well, I did some research and found out a little information on my name which I did not know?

There is not much I could find for Starfire beyond a couple of interesting articles and a DC Comics Heroine.  The Comic character aside, Starfire was the name given to the fire used by the Annunaki to heal the primitive workers they creates to mine the Abzu.  The workers they created were a hybrid of the primate and the Annunaki and were called A.Dam? in effect, they were human.  The Starfire was the healing light that was used to restore those who succumbed to injury, illness, or stresses of labor.  As my first name is Jason (Greek for Healer), I feel this fits a great deal.

As for Volund, well?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Wayland (also spelled Weyland, Weland; Welent and Watlende, etc.) is a mythical smith-god of the Anglo-Saxon religion brought with the Saxon settlers of Britain.  He is synonymous with the Norse/Germanic V?lundr (also spelled Volund)of the V?lundarkvi?a, a poem in the Poetic Edda.

Weyland had two brothers, Egil and Slagfi?r (Slagfid/Slagfinn).  In one version of the myth, the three brothers lived with three Valkyries: ?lr?n, Alvitr, and Svanhv?t.  After nine years, the Valkyries left their lovers.  Egil and Slagfi?r followed, never to return.  In another version, Weyland married the swan maiden Herv?r, and they had a son, Heime; Herv?r later left him.  In both versions, his love left him with a ring; in the former myth, he forged seven hundred duplicates of this ring.

At a later point in time, he was captured in his sleep by King Nidud in Nerike who ordered him hamstrung and imprisoned on the island of S?varst??.  There he was forced to forge items for the king.  Weyland's wife's ring was given to the king's daughter, Bodvild.  Nidud wore Weyland's sword.

For revenge, Weyland killed the king's sons when they visited him in secret, fashioned goblets from their skulls, jewels from their eyes, and a brooch from their teeth.  He sent the goblets to the king, the jewels to the queen and the brooch to the king's daughter.  When Bodvild took her ring to him to be mended, he took the ring and seduced her, fathering a son and escaping on wings he made.  V?lund made the magic sword Gram (also named Balmung and Nothung) and the magic ring that Thorsten retrieved.  Wayland's assistant is Flibbertigibbet.

He is particularly associated with Wayland's Smithy, a burial mound in Oxfordshire.  This was named by the Saxons, but the megalithic mound significantly predates them.  It is from this association that the superstition came about that a horse left there overnight with a small silver coin (a groat) would be shod by morning.

As my name is Germanic in origin (Ellenburg), I feel it appropriate that I used the Germanic name for my name.  I knew not of its origins when I first used it, but after reading the story, I kind of like his style (even if it is a little brutal).  But hey, who wouldn?t want to marry a warrior-woman Valkyrie?

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
Up until my early retirement 2 years ago I was a wildland forest fire fighter.  Spend a lot of years, mostly my summers, fighting fire.  When I joined I didn't have a nickname, and Scot Thiesmeyer called me that and it stuck.

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »
I started writing a fanfic novel in 2000. I never finished it because the computer is broken. So it sits there collecting dust, probably fragmented by now.

Tavrik Gannon is the Imperial antagonist of the story. He is a commando, an officer, a real mean guy. All the costumes I do are mirrored reflections, or the fleshing out of the characters that I have up in my head.

In fact, if any of you are on the Rebel Legion boards you see that my screen name is Aramys Strael. He is the title character and hero of the fanfic work. He found his way into the rebellion due to some unfortunate circumstances. But he never had any love for the Empire anyway. Tavrik and him were actually friends when Tavrik was inserted into the Rebellion as an Imperial agent. Tavrik trained Aramys in becoming one lethal commando. Later on Aramys discovers that he is a Jedi, much like Corran Horn. Aramys was wounded during an operation set during the events that happened during Shadows of the Empire. It was because of this he couldn't join the commando team on Endor. But because he had piloting skills he flew the space battle instead.

So you can see how I am fleshing out the character with the specific costumes. The Imp officer is supposed to be Tavrik Gannon (although he would be ISB, so it should be the cream colored tunic. That will happen someday) as is the upcoming Storm Commando. Aramys Strael will be the Jedi of the New Republic, Rebel Commander and later New Republic, pilot and commando.

The only costumes that really don't have anything to do with my fanfic stuff would be the CorSec and the Clone when I get them completed. Of course the pilot costume was a fluke. I never really had a desire to do it, until a friend of mine was trying to get it started. When I did the Starlight Parade 2 years ago, I did it wearing my buddy's TIE gear. I told everyone that I was breaking it in for him. I soon caught the bug to get armor myself. Now I troop as the TIE PILOT (when I ever get it put back together and get a new bucket for it). And while I sign my name as Tavrik Gannon, Tav never really was a pilot. I did play the TIE FIGHTER video game and had a character on there named Koba Kull. Perhaps he will make an appearance in some fic later on down the line. It is a bit ironic that my favorite Christmas (when I actually still enjoyed and embraced the holiday) was the year that my step-dad spent his last dine on TIE FIGHTERS for my brother and me. He didn't even have enough money to get us stockings, so he used a pair of his dress socks, instead. But that is what make it extra special to me. It was his sacrifice to give us the best Christmas ever that really made the difference. Who would have thought that 20+ years later his son would become a TIE FIGHTER PILOT???

Sorry for digressing....... but I do have a method to my costuming madness!

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline chadrice

• www.affordableengravingmilwaukie.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
Boy I wish I had some thing way more original but I have a bad habit of forgetting logins so I just take the first name and the last name and smash the suckers together, and Fawn thought hers was unimaginative
Affordable Engraving
www.affordableengravingmilwaukie.com

you didn't stop riding cause you got old, you got old because you stopped riding.................

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »
well my old name "irob972" was givin' to me by a friend when we played paintball on a team way back in the day...my name irob and my jersey number was 972....(as well as my b-day)
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Zabet

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 12:43:43 AM »
Well Christine (Darth Van Tu'Gen) & I spent a whole class period figuring out a good Star Wars name for our class sweatshirts.
Christine figured hers out & helped me with mine.

Za'bet Skott is basically my name, Star Wars-ized.

Offline Stomper

• Cloud City Retired
  • OLD IMPERIAL GOON
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 05:19:51 AM »
My screen name used to be my TKID... TK4063.  Then I caught the Republic Commando bug, and saw each Commando had a nickname like "Boss", "Fixer", "Scorch", "Fi", "Sev", and so on.... Well, one of my favorite "sayings" when I was an Army Drill Sgt. was, "I'm gonna stomp a mud-hole in your @$$!!" so........... STOMPER was born! 

Now I'm know by that moniker on EVERY forum I participate in, and I get referred to as "Stomp", "Stompie", etc.  :lol:
Tony Krewson
TK/TD-4063
SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS
MOLON LABE

Offline greedo

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 09:07:31 AM »
wow, we must have met because that just gave me flashbacks from my basic training in 1994.
F**K you Photobucket!

Offline ClonenolC

• Cloud City Retired
  • my backpack's got jets... no, for real!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
you should try his boot and see if it fits  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 05:44:19 PM »
Well I use to have a differnt name for the Bikerscout boards but they decided to change things around and sadly my former Username had to go.

Being a fan of the old "Batman"Theme and a budding apprentice of the Dark Side the first thing that came to mind was "Sithman"And the rest is history!

Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Offline Aysel

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:57 PM »
Aysel is a Turkish name meaning Goddess of Moonlight and is the name of my online character on City of Heroes. I now use Aysel for everything. Before that I was Pheenix on every board I joined. and the DJ aysel in my avatar is my DJ character for the online radio show I do.

Morgan the Terrible

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
Mine originates from my navy days...a certain bar in hong kong started it all.  The story is much to long to tell here, but if asked I'll give my best account of the origin.  Anyways i've been using it for my handle ever since.

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
  • His Royal Highness the Alien King
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 08:52:17 PM »
Drink the habusake did we?
Paul

Offline Stomper

• Cloud City Retired
  • OLD IMPERIAL GOON
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »
Mine originates from my navy days...a certain bar in hong kong started it all.  The story is much to long to tell here, but if asked I'll give my best account of the origin.  Anyways i've been using it for my handle ever since.

We should be able to just read about it in his tattoos! ;)
Tony Krewson
TK/TD-4063
SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS
MOLON LABE

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 10:20:10 PM »
Is Hong Kong the place where they have beer with opium in it????
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Tags: