Author Topic: Hail Imperials!  (Read 7540 times)

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Hail Imperials!
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:10:32 AM »
Hail Imperials!

My name is Jason Ellenburg and I am very interested in joining the 501st Cloud City Garrison.  I live in Newberg and am currently a student at George Fox University and a Sergeant in the Oregon Army National Guard.  I am an avid collector of the Star Wars fiction (Novels, Comics, and RPG material) as well as an avid RPG gamer in both the d6 and d20 games.  My reason for coming here should be obvious, but I would like to ask a couple of questions.

First, as an avid collector of Star wars, I have also followed some of the RPG source material (Star Wars Adventure Journal and others) and have found a few good ideas.  One of which would involve a “dual costume.”  It is a little known story about one of the Emperor’s pet projects.  It involves training Force Sensitive Stormtroopers as his personal guard (beyond the Crimson Guard).  Well, my idea would involve a set of stormtrooper armor as well as a little special thing dangling from my belt…

I might be able to cross it (with a blaster rifle) as a normal TK if needed, but also something a little different.  Such as adding a white cowling and cape (something like Vader meets ARC Commando) and entering myself into a Special Ops category. 

I’d like to know what you think.  Would it be feasible or not?  If nothing else, I could just be a normal TK, but the idea of a Lightsaber-wielding Stormtrooper seems to resonate with something dangerous.

Next, would be a joint project my wife and I are working on.  You see, I am a very avid player (read geek) of Knights of the Old Republic.  Well, I recently found a site that makes custom order leather costumes.  Well, with this and a couple Hollywood-style mask producers, I will be able to create a very good duo costume: Revan and Bastila.  Would this be something that would interest the Garrison?  I know technically my wife would be part of Kashyyyk Base with the Rebel Scum, but it would still be a good appearance for those of the generation raised on the game.

Beyond that, I am wondering where you would suggest a set of Stormtrooper armor.  I’d prefer it unweathered, as that would give it more of the “can’t tough this” look of a Force-Sensitive Stormtrooper.  Beyond that, I look forward to joining your ranks.

For the Empire!

Jason Ellenburg
(aka Volund Starfire)

Offline Daverian

Re: Hail Imperials!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 09:33:50 AM »
That is AWESOME!!! Great idea!!  :shock: :D

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:14:20 PM »
Welcome Jason, thanks for finding our boards and saying hello.

Just a note about your idea.  The 501st bases its costuming on known, recognizable costumes from the Star Wars universe.  While there is a customization world, those are outside the realm of the membership of the 501st.  Here is what I recommend to all people wanting to do custome work.  Get a suit that will get you membership.  Once you are a member and maintain a membership level costume you may do custome stuff.  That way when gigs happen that require a member to only be in canon approved gear you have it to wear.  I myself want to do a custome Mando someday, and it is much easier to do because I have my membership and I can always fall back to that suit that is official. Great ideas, though, and I think you should follow through once you get membership.  If you have any questions about armor just ask, we can hook you up!!

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:36:07 PM »
In that case, this is me asking!  :D

I have seen you in passing during CIV, and will definitely be meeting some of you in person at the Evergreen Museum.  If you could give me some links or such for finding armor, I would be appreciative.  I have only found one place, and their prices look reasonable, but I am curious about other places and prices.

I am planning on first getting a TK, then possibly an Imperial Officer, after that trying out for the Saber Trooper... which I can provide at least two pics for (the one above and the concept sketch from ANH with the trooper wielding the saber ).

Before all of that, though, I'd still like to get a full TK suit.  I probably wouldn't be wearing (or ordering most of it depending on the price) until January, but that will give me the time to gather the resources and get it together... not to mention, I need to lose a little around the middle to "fit" in it.

Qui-Fawn

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 02:04:46 PM »
Hi Jason! 

First off, thanks for the link you sent me.....second, both Pepito and I work in Newberg at Dragonfly Taekwondo, drop by and say hi to us sometime. 

As for the Revan, Pepito has one that I've worn a few times and there's someone else who has one, too.  But like Martin said, Pepito got his officialness with his TK, and since he's expanded his costume "repertoire".  He's got Darth Willyface.....err, Nihilus, too.  I always love seeing the EU represented!!!  But I'm just a measly Jedi, so whadda I know??

Can't wait to meet you at the Evergreen Museum!

--Fawn

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
Isn't Revan a recognized costume in the 501st??? Isn't that Rachel's Sith Lord costume?? Or am I just a wee bit on the crazy side?

At any rate, FINALLY, another RPGer in the group. Do you know how long I have been wanting to hang with a fellow RPGer? It is nice to have you among our boards (and seeing you on Spec_Ops, as well). I can't wait to meet you. Take care!

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
  • His Royal Highness the Alien King
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 12:07:28 PM »
Oddly I once thought of doing the force sensitive trooper, but after realizing the limited arm monement the suit provides... I went another route.
Reven is a fun costume (although I barely get a chance to wear it, I'm debabting wearing it this weekend.)

My advice is go to the aviation musem and take a look at all the different costumes before you buy something
Paul

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:07:51 PM »
Well, I have been looking around at some of the various prices and garb and I think my first will be an Imperial Officer, followed by a TK, then the Spec Ops version of the TK.  And yes, I will be going with the Black Uniform, Gloves, Blaster, stormtrooper officer on my IO uniform.  I hope people don't mind a Captain rank.

As for RPGs, I am just not learning thw WotC d20 (D&D in space), but I am a GM for the old WEG d6 SWRPG.  I even have a large collection of the various sourcebooks and am always on the lookout for more (though now my money will be going toward a uniform and such).

I will definitely be at the museum this weekend.  Though, in truth, I will be going mostly to meet you Troopies (and Sithies, as the case may be).  See you there!  Oh, and when I finally get my uniform, if you don't mind my asking, what will I be doing as an IO?  I don't believe in bossing or whatnot (even though I am an Army Sergeant), but I would still like to know.

Other than that, I have to get back to class and look attentive while I post in some other threads.  See y'all later!

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »
Your Duties will include Letting Vader and the TK's know when tiny fans are standing right in front of them, looking important and,  and pointing out how many more rank bars you have than Bill.
Paul

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »
First of all, roger.  I am usually tapped by the recruiter to aid the Johnny... that is the 10 foot tall blow-up doll which you may see near the National Guard recruiting booth.  Same thing probably... field of view is limited, sound is dampened by the blower, you have the tactile sense of a rhino... So, you need a "handler" to warn of incoming tipping hazards.

Secondly, how many rank bars does Bill have?  If I am going to lord my higher and more noble rank over anyone, I must be prepared to gloat over how many more times I have been promoted than they have.  Not to mention, entering the super-exclusive officer lounge with my enhanced rank cylinder and taunting him from within the door! 8)

Ehem... he's not the recruiting officer, is he? :shock:

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 08:54:56 PM »
Half the Time... Bill Doesen't even have rank bars :P
Paul

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:44:53 AM »
Your Duties will include Letting Vader and the TK's know when tiny fans are standing right in front of them, looking important and,  and pointing out how many more rank bars you have than Bill.

Not true..... I've upgraded! I'm a Captain (or Commander) as well!
So there, Pepito!
And it is not half the time.... it was the one time, sheesh! But that was a crappy version of a LT badge. I have a better, more accurate Captain's badge. I wore it to the booksigning last night and loved it!  (althought, I did forget my belt :shock:)

Now... back to the RPG stuff. I still have a bunch of my old books from the WEG d6 version. In fact I had them on display at the Ligth Vader's Saber event at the WTC. I thought it was a rather nice presentation.... and it showed my geek side a bit, hehe.

I look forward to meeting you in person, Jason. Take care!

- Bill
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:51:07 AM by tavrikgannon »
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Stomper

• Cloud City Retired
  • OLD IMPERIAL GOON
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 03:49:08 AM »
Welcome to the forums Jason!  FYI- stay clear of Bill, he's just trouble....   :P

heh... I was exposed to RPG stuff back in my Army days during the the 80's and early 90's... but the schrapnel almost took my nose off and cut my left temple.  :wink:
Tony Krewson
TK/TD-4063
SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS
MOLON LABE

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 05:44:39 AM »
It was probably a bad GM... I don't use fragmentary dice... I prefer CS, its easier to handle and there is no chance of it going off if my wife steals it for a Yatzee game.

Offline Metal4Life

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 12:58:40 PM »
....and pointing out how many more rank bars you have than Bill.
HA HA HA HA HA!
Welcome to the Fray Sir!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:01:25 PM by Metal4Life »
One shot, one kill? BAH!... I prefer the Machine Gunners way, ACCURACY BY VOLUME!  -TK5811

Tags: