Author Topic: New here :)  (Read 9121 times)

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
New here :)
« on: August 28, 2007, 06:36:27 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Daniel Burgess, 20yr, Portland Or, currently going through the basic prep stages for making some custom design armor, and will eventually build an actual, accurate, 501st class, Star Wars costume. (I'll be building a variation of a Biker Scout, metal armor).
Tavrikgannon, was the one who drafted ;) me over here from the 501st Special Ops forums. Glad to be here and look forward to getting to know you all a little better.

I also have an old z50r honda motor bike that i'll be building a speeder bike kit for, looking forward to having that done, might have that done before the armor, but i am very busy with school and such so don't be expecting anything "really" soon :).

Heres some links to images of concepts and such. A few i jsut photoshoped over some 501st personnel images, hope thats okay.
http://bp2.blogger.com/_nyvwaivjOOo/Rst31UJMcXI/AAAAAAAAACI/-4sfTE3e8G8/s1600-h/AllSharky.jpg
http://bp0.blogger.com/_nyvwaivjOOo/Rst340JMcYI/AAAAAAAAACQ/uoEEQ7KseHk/s1600-h/LayeredBikeConcept.jpg
http://bp1.blogger.com/_nyvwaivjOOo/RsvRWEJMcZI/AAAAAAAAACY/dQui0DwTLjs/s1600-h/BikerSketchAll.jpg
http://bp1.blogger.com/_nyvwaivjOOo/RtETakJMceI/AAAAAAAAADA/2Z412cOtxdk/s1600-h/templetsMade.jpg

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:44:07 PM by SpitFireScout »
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
  • His Royal Highness the Alien King
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: New here :)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 08:35:20 PM »
Groovy.. welcome aboard
Paul

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:11:05 AM »
What can I say, the lad looked lost in that big ol' detachment board. So I sent him here where he can be inundated by his local peers!  :lol:

Glad you made it over here, Daniel!

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:17:05 PM »
lol, thanks Bill,
since my production of my first suit has been postponed i've been tossing around ideas of what suit i'd like to do for my 501st class suit, atleast in terms of quality and accuracy. I think it's down to the Clone Blaze Trooper, or a Sith Trooper. I really like the Blaze Trooper, but i also like the Sith Trooper alot...
maybe i'll just build the blazetrooper next and then the sith trooper after that  :shock:  :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51453931@N00/158012675/in/set-1812315/
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Offline ClonenolC

• Cloud City Retired
  • my backpack's got jets... no, for real!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 12:24:51 PM »
Hmmm... the BlazeTrooper looks interesting.  but i think vision might be a problem.  of course, there's the issue of question answering from the lil tykes. i'm sure you'd get alot of that.  but if the heart wants..... but ya gotta promise me you put a REAL flamethrower on that thing!!!!  :twisted:  welcome!!!!
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:03:47 PM »
point- Flame thrower is obviously dangerous, if i did anything with flame it would be a safe hand held propane torch as a Removeable item (these are very safe and controllable, only put out a flame a few inches in length)  . Defintely not something i'd have in the costume for public events.

Safety issues have me gravely concerned, most of what i have seen makes some very cool homemade flame throwers, but it will never be truely safe from the flame sucking back into the fuel source and blowing it to kingdom come. (let alone the inherint dangers of fire)
 Also, its something i could only show off in private circles, definitely not a public deal there unless it was 100% safe and i would only feel safe if it made the equivalent of a small firey cloud that consumed all of its fuel in a matter of seconds. I would hate for someone to get hurt by something thats supposed to be visually cool and entertaining.
I'd install a handheld propane torch, you can adjsut the flow so its more flamey and its SAFE. Not as impressive, but much much safer.
http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomatic/consumer/images/products/TS3000KC_sm.jpg
I've worked alot with this type of tool, it is very safe and controlled.

I can build a metal gauntlet and housing for the propane tank so i wouldn't be melting plastic  :shock: or worrying about the tank getting dropped or dinged. I would also make it so i can remove the tank and torch assembly so it doesn't have to be in the suit, for cons, marches, trooping etc.

Safety is foremost on my mind with something like this.

Good point about the vision, kinda throwing the blinders on with that guy  8).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:09:38 AM by SpitFireScout »

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »
Hello SpitFireScout, I would like to welcome you to the CCG boards.  It is nice to have a new person and an eager person wanting to get into armor build.  I hate to put a dampener on your ideas, but I would suggest looking into the mission and emphasis of the 501st with respect to some of your armor ideas.  The camo scout probably won't make it in due to canon issues, and, as cool as it may be, the flame thrower would never be an item that we could allow at any event.  These would all be great items to have for a personal collection and to have for other costuming situations.  If you have any questions about the 501st, what we do, and how we do it, feel free to pose those questions out here to any of us.

Again, welcome to CCG.

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 11:56:44 PM »
Thanks FireStorm, glad to be here,
 i totally understand that the camo scout won't be a 501st costume, i'm doing that one first for fun and to get a feel for armoring.
The flame thrower, as i said, is defintely something that would not be a permanent part of the costume.  If i did it it would be removeable so it would be 100% safe for anything public related.
I have read up a bit on the 501st, need to read more, but i love the charity work you all do it's very inspiring and i would like to be part of it eventually. I love the idea of being part of a group that is supportive of SW costuming and doing something good for the communities we are in.
Any suggestions i am open for and am glad to hear them :), thanks.

infact it was first the costumes that attracted me to the 501st and its members, then i saw all the fund raisers and volunteer work they did and i was hooked. I don't have the burning "need" to be a 501st, but it is something i would like to be someday, and join the ranks of people who have fun, make amazing works of wearable art and help out other people while doing it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:34:30 AM by SpitFireScout »

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:42:52 AM »
While I agree that the blaze trooper is a neat idea, the flame thrower issue I really wouldn't even consider putting on a costume. The
extreme dangers of something like that are just to immence. You could light your self on fire, someone else, if you fell and broke the
container of the combustable you'd really be screwed ect ect. Also I dont know if you've ever trooped before but let alone, without an open
flame, its HOT in that outfit. Personally what I would do is make that flame thrower, but instead of it firing out an open flame, put compressed
water in a tank, simular to a class A fire extinguisher, and use that to simulate flame if you must. When I used to WW2 reeact the flame
thrower was brought up and we used the same idea, water instead of flame....Works for everybody.......
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Qui-Fawn

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:09:46 AM »
Ooh, Oooh, I know!  Attach a silly string canister!  That's safe, fun, and easily cleanable.   8)

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
oo i like the water gun idea, as a replacment for public events. I could work one of those higher pressure water backpacks into the back of the suit and have a serious water gun, that would be impressive, kids would love it too. If i was able to install a nozzle that let me adjsut the stream from a jet to a mist or spray, it could be very fun in parades, mist the crowds that are standing in the hot sun ya know (only if they want it and if its allowed). I don't mean blasting them with a jet of water, a nice misty kinda of deal, think of those garden hoses that have like 50 different settings on them lol :P.
there are also lots of packs that are used for spraying pesticides, or weed killer, that would fit the bill perfectly, buy a new one (clean) and it would be dandy.

Water is a bit heavier, but i'm a big guy, i could take it in addition to the suit. Have had to do stuff like that before (not in a suit of armor though) but getting to build in cooling units would be nice. Perhaps if i insulated the suit properly it could reflect the heat and keep the cool air in...

I did the silly string idea once for holloween, i sculpted a gun out of clay and built in a holder for the can, worked great. Might have to see about working that in addition to the water gun idea (dual function ;)) Equally fun, and if i could get red, yellow and orange silly string it would look the part perfectly.

I bet those suits get hot, i have never been trooping before but the heat issue is already on my mind, gonna be building fans in for sure. With a suit that size, i could probably work something that might even cool the chest piece, have to research it alot though.

Thanks for the input everybody, i understand everyones concerns about fire, and i appreciate all the thoughs and suggestions, i love progress :).
I hope nobody is thinking i'm a crazy irrisponsible person now  :cry:  safety is first on my mind when it comes to public events especially.

i wonder if you could add a food coloring to the water so it looks red? Might stain clothes.. don't want that.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:10:06 PM by SpitFireScout »

Offline ClonenolC

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 01:18:48 PM »
i still like the idea of a real torch...especially if you went up in flames...THAT would be "most impressive" at the Starlight Parade  :lol:  i too have pooped around with the idea of silly string in one of my Fett gauntlets....then i watched people ignite others with the stuff on America's Funniest... so none for me, but i do have blades  :twisted:
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 02:15:47 PM »
Sounds like you have done some fun stuff with your suit, ClonenolC.
 A real flame thrower is rediculosly dangerous, but the blow torch idea is very safe (since i'd build a metal casing for it, not plastic) no worries about lighting myself on fire, very contolled, it would be a small flame, but still cool, we could all roast marshmallows with my suit at private gatherings lol.

I don't smoke but i could give someone the coolest light they ever would get in their life. No sure if i want to do that, don't really want to promote smoking, kids would definitely get the wrong impression by that.
We could do an anti teen smoking ad with it! Bunch of storm troopers on the battle front, fighting enemies, kicking butt, they all take 5 in a bunker and light up, fall over dead, smoking kills. 
Have a responsibility to represent and be a good example, especially to the younger fans.

Probably shouldn't have even thought of any of that, jsut tossing ideas around, i don't want this to turn into anything negative though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:17:41 PM by SpitFireScout »

Offline ClonenolC

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »
i think a P.S.A using troopers would be effin hilarious!!! honestly, i havent done too much fun stuff with my armor, BUT.. i'm hopin to get together with FireStorm to put some co2 system into my jetpack (you listenin Martin???)
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:03 PM »
sorry i'm not very up to date on my abbreviations... P.S.A.?

Tags: