Author Topic: Introduction!  (Read 464 times)

Offline AverageNobody

• Cloud City Member
    • TB-44271
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Introduction!
« on: August 22, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I kinda did things out of order and submitted my costume for approval before actually introducing myself... so here's a belated intro!

Been a Star Wars fan for most of my life, even during the dark times... before the internet! I carried Heir to the Empire around in my JanSport backpack, got in trouble for drawing AT-ATs on test papers, and constantly debated my Trekkie friends about which fleet would win in a battle. Good times.

As for costuming, I bought a mostly-complete Boba Fett costume back in 2014, and spent the next couple of years replacing, modifying, and upgrading pieces, hoping to get it 501st approved and start trooping. But then life happened. I changed jobs, moved from California to Oregon, bought a house, then the pandemic happened, etc. Things have mostly settled down now, and I think I'm ready to resume my 501st journey, but I think I'd rather troop in something a little lower maintenance than Boba. I've always loved the Scout Trooper (pretty sure I melted our VHS of ROTJ from too many viewings of the speeder bike chase), so I commissioned a full suit from RS Prop Masters earlier this year. Finally got all the pieces together a few weeks ago, and submitted my request to join the 501st today!

I still want to make a few more quality-of-life modifications to the costume (like add a LOT of velcro), but I'm hoping to start trooping and meeting folks soon!

TB-44271

Offline CJ49er

Re: Introduction!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 04:20:02 PM »
Welcome fellow JanSport owner!! :P

good luck on your Scout approval!

EDIT** Congrats on your approval :)   Welcome to Cloud City Garrison/501st!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:21:41 PM by CJ49er »
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Daybreak

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 04:55:59 PM »
Welcome!! As a fellow trekkie/star trek fan, I completely believe the star WARS ships would win. And not just because I have an X-Wing pilot costume, lol. Anyways, good on you for having everything together right away!! Scout Troopers are very cool and I see way less of them than Storm Troopers. Is the visor any easier to see out of, I wonder?

Good luck with the velcro! I had to do quite a bit of that myself, and I see even more of it in my future. We cannot escape it...

edit: cant believe i wrote the star trek ships would win as a typo. i am ashamed lol i firmly believe they would lose bad
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 12:49:32 PM by Daybreak »

Offline AverageNobody

• Cloud City Member
    • TB-44271
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 06:45:48 PM »
I can't speak for the Stormtrooper helmets (though I've heard they're pretty bad), but the Scout visor is kinda like a tinted swimming mask: it's a flat surface, so nothing gets distorted, and the shape gives a nice field of view. It's WORLDS better than Boba Fett's helmet, in terms of visibility and ventilation.
TB-44271

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 08:09:26 PM »
Biker scout is definitely one of those costumes where adding loads of velcro helps a lot during troops. Knees, forearms, biceps, belt, vest and cumberbund to name a few haha.
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Nathanzx10r

• Cloud City Admin
  • GML
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 03:20:53 AM »
I can't speak for the Stormtrooper helmets (though I've heard they're pretty bad), but the Scout visor is kinda like a tinted swimming mask: it's a flat surface, so nothing gets distorted, and the shape gives a nice field of view. It's WORLDS better than Boba Fett's helmet, in terms of visibility and ventilation.

I broke out my scout for an event after like 18 months of not wearing it, I was like...Damn, I can see out of this thing LOL.   
Scout Trooper / RO-Tie Pilot / Tusken Raider

Offline VADER0605

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 11:05:40 AM »
You guys can see out of your masks.... What the heck?!?! Thats cheating!!! Congratulations!!!!
Chris Stevens
Rogue One Darth Vader
SL-91149
WIP: ANH VADER
        ROTJ VADER

Offline Sume

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 04:47:18 PM »
You guys can see out of your masks.... What the heck?!?! Thats cheating!!! Congratulations!!!!

I know right?  Grumbles in Revan about mask sight. 

Offline AverageNobody

• Cloud City Member
    • TB-44271
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 10:40:31 PM »
Turns out, all the cool mysterious characters were only standing around looking stoic and intimidating because they were afraid of tripping over their own outfits.

If Boba Fett had run after Vader in ESB, this scene would've played out differently:

"He's no good to me d--"
*Suddenly, his toe spikes catch on the floor. He stumbles and drops to one knee, accidentally firing his dart launchers. The weight of his jetpack makes him topple forward and he faceplants, his helmet rolling across the floor to rest at Vader's feet*

Vader: "Hey, you look like a guy that was at my execution party on Geonosis. He was wearing the same kind of armor too. And he had a kid. Waaaait....."
TB-44271

Offline Sume

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 11:34:09 PM »
Congratulations on the approval and welcome.

After actually assembling a Revan costume myself.  Makes me think there has to be some sort of HUD in these helmets that we don't actually see as movie goers.  I am sure jokes about mask sight is a common theme around here.

Offline AverageNobody

• Cloud City Member
    • TB-44271
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 12:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!
I am officially a 501st member: TB-44271 reporting for duty!
TB-44271

Tags: