Author Topic: Mando Super-Commando Grunt: 1st Build, Have some questions  (Read 354 times)

Offline Isabella20B

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Mando Super-Commando Grunt: 1st Build, Have some questions
« on: October 13, 2022, 02:54:08 PM »
Hi I'm building my first Mandalorian armor in the Super-Commando Grunt style: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:MW_SC_KenobiGrunt  –and I have a few questions about getting my costume ready for approval:

1. The Flight Suit: I read in the Costume Reference Library that the flight suit can be 2 pieces and made of cotton, my question is would it be approvable to use a leather-like material for the pants instead of cotton?

2. I'm planning on building my own jetpack, but I do not have a 3D printer and obviously want to build it in an acceptable way for the 501st, but I have had a hard time finding patterns/tutorials on how to go about making this. I'm planning on using pvc board and pipe. I would love any suggestions possible!

3. Also concerning the jetpack: can it be built onto the back armor permanently?; or does the jetpack have to be able to come off the back armor? If it does have to come off, are there any suggestions about how to attach the jetpack to the armor in a conciliatory way?

That's it for now, excited to hear back soon!

Offline Lidocaine

Re: Mando Super-Commando Grunt: 1st Build, Have some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 10:26:27 PM »
Hello there!

I'm currently handling the BHG/MW costumes for local approval, so here's my take on your questions.

1. I'd probably stick with the cotton blend as the CRL specifically mentions it. Dickies coveralls slightly modified would be a fairly cheap and easy way to get that. Leather probably wouldn't achieve the desired look, as least according to those who designed the CRL.

2. At first blush the jetpack looks similar to Jango's Arena Jetpack, and the Dented Helmet does have some templates for that here: https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/boba-and-jango-packs.10051/

There are a few services that do print out jetpacks for you, I've seen anywhere from 90-130 based on size from some Etsy vendors like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1025942821/jango-arena-jet-pack-kit-full-size?variation0=2051638645

I haven't done business with them, so I can't speak for their print quality, turn-around times, etc. Just providing a potential source! 3D printing also typically requires quite a bit of sanding, filling, etc as well.

3. I don't see anything specifically requiring the jetpack to be able to detach from the armor. I know for Boba there are straps that come out of the armor and fit onto a harness under the vest. That's a bit more comfortable than just having all the weight hang on your back with the armor. That being said, Boba's latest Jetpack does attach directly to the armor, so long story short, whatever works best for you as long as it is flush against the armor.
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Isabella20B

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Mando Super-Commando Grunt: 1st Build, Have some questions
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 12:27:55 PM »
Hi!
Thanks for all the info! I've already ordered a few things from Etsy so I feel like trying my hand at making the jet pack myself, I'll definitely check out the Dented Helmet templates! And I'll make sure to keep the flight suit cotton. Hopefully I'll be able to send approval pictures soon, thanks again!

Tags: