Author Topic: 06.04.22: 2022 Starlight Parade - Portland (SPOTTER SIGNUPS)  (Read 1540 times)

Offline jj49

06.04.22: 2022 Starlight Parade - Portland (SPOTTER SIGNUPS)
« on: January 13, 2022, 10:14:17 AM »
PHOTO UPLOADING LINK: https://starwarsoregon.smugmug.com/upload/P5VHXH/star22

06.04.22: Starlight Parade - Downtown Portland

Would you like to help us during one of our biggest, oldest, and highest-visibility events? Starlight Parade is coming up and we'd love your assistance!

We need a total (and maximum) of 10 marching spotters to help us at the Starlight Parade this year. Any number of volunteers are also welcome to stay back at the staging area with our vehicles to help keep an eye on things there and make sure there aren't any break-ins. Any spotters in excess of the 10 max need to stay back at the staging area.

- The 10 marching spotters can be SWO members or an adult (18+) immediate family member/household member/close friend of a marching costumer, or a spotter.
- Two spotters will march at the back of the group to collect any pieces that may liberate themselves from our costumes. One of those two spotters will pull one wagon. The other eight spotters will be spread out to march next to our costumed marchers.
- Spotters will not be assigned to specific people, but the placement of spotters may be affected by characters who will potentially need extra attention during the parade.
- All spotters must agree to wear either a SWO spotter shirt (we have these to loan out if you don't have one of your own) or plain black shirt and plain shorts/pants (the darker the better, no patterns).
- All spotters must agree to "disappear" as much as possible. No interacting with the crowd (other than keeping them away from our costumers as needed), no hand gestures, etc. Focus on the marching costumers in your area to make sure everyone is doing okay.
- All spotters agree to follow the guidelines and instructions presented by the spotter lead (TBD) on the day of the event.
- All spotters need to sign up in advance.

If you're not already familiar with it, there's a lot of helpful information about this event here. We will know our placement and meeting spots soon, so those are still subject to change.

SPOTTER ROSTER:
1. Guy Sundwall
2. Kelli Dietz
3. Leah Power
4. Valentine Power
5. Drew Parsons
6. Patricia Clark

Backups/On-Deck:

Volunteers to stay in the staging area and keep an eye on things:

GENERAL INFO
  • We are #13 in the parade line up this year.
  • Parade length is about 2.25 miles. This is a brand new route so we are all going to be a little on the learning curve as far as location, timing, etc

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO RIGHT NOW
  • Get cooling vests or other mechanisms for keeping yourself from overheating ready to go. One option: http://coolvest.com/ - Another option: Freeze water in a Camelback.

PRE-PARADE
  • Familiarize yourself with where we’re parking, meeting, and staging. Make a plan for how and when you will arrive (we should have this info soon).
  • The day before the parade, wear your boots/shoes all day to get your feet used to them. Figure out where blisters might form and get some moleskin down on those areas so you don't have to deal with pain during the march.

DAY OF PARADE
  • Suggested packing list: Cooling devices to wear during the parade, band-aids/moleskin for blister prevention, something to eat and drink, picnic blankets or camp chairs, hand sanitizer, etc.
  • Get some good sleep the night before the parade, and don't overexert yourself the day of the parade.
  • Drink plenty of water all day long to make sure you are hydrated.
  • Pre-parade is a great time to mingle with SWO members, spotters, and friends! Show up early and make a day of it!
  • Plan your arrival at the staging area. Streets get closed off, so you may want to plan multiple routes/parking areas as fallbacks if you can't reach your preferred spot. Consider ridesharing or mass transit.
  • Parking in the lot is not free. Expect to pay $7-$20 for the day. (Exact cost is not known at this time.)
  • Eat something light before marching. It'll be awhile before you're able to eat again.
  • Empty your bladder before marching. It'll be awhile before you're able to pee again. :)
  • We will take a series of group photos before we start marching. More details will be posted a few days before the parade. We would really appreciate help from spotters with crowd control.

MARCHING IN THE PARADE
  • Keep the crowds away from our costumers when marching. Parade organizers prohibit any direct contact between us and the crowd.
  • Along those lines, resist the urge to high-five the kids. If a kid up the street sees us high-fiving, they'll walk into the street, and things bog down.
  • When the parade stops (which it usually does often for MAX and buses), people may come out to take pics. One of your duties is to dissuade them, but we might get diehards who are bound and determined to get pics with us. Don't encourage or welcome this behavior.
  • Keep a close eye on the costumers in your zone. The weather shouldn't be unbearable warm this year, but it's sitll important for you to notice and recognize when our folks might be overheating. If necessary, be prepared to help a costumer exit the parade route and rest/remove their helmet.
  • Be courteous to the crowd, but hold strong about keeping them from interacting directly with our costumers.
  • The parade is long and you will get hot so don't overdo it. Keep steady pace.
  • The live TV section you'll notice camera operators and/or news reporters who may approach us as we're marching. Just keep moving with the group. Do not acknowledge the cameras in any way. As spotters, you should disappear into the surroundings as much as possible.
  • The parade does not end where we start. We will need to walk back after the parade route ends to get back to our staging area. Costumers might remove helmets and other costume pieces for the walk back; your assistance carrying items like this might be requested.

ENTRY AND LINE-UP INFORMATION
 - All parade entries line-up in the formation area according to the map below.
 - We are entry #13.
 - Enter the formation area on NW Everett.
 - At 6pm Burnside closes
 - Be sure to plan on arriving early because the area becomes very congested as other participants and spectators arrive.

TIMING
This is as set as it's going to be until any last-minute changes on event day.
Noon: Suggested arrival time if you want to get to the parking lot before they start closing roads.
1:00pm: Staging area roads likely to close.
4:00pm: Parade orientation hosted by our fearless leaders - ALL MARCHERS AND SPOTTERS MUST BE PRESENT
5:00pm: Parade route roads to close.
5:00pm: We'll start getting into costume to be ready and present at the formation area no later than 6:00pm. Once in the formation area we MUST stay on the sidewalk of our assigned block. Our formation block is at SW Harvey Milk and 1st Street.
6:00pm: Group photos in our staging area - Please help us with crowd control!
7:30pm: Parade scheduled to start
7:30pm-8:15pm: We start marching - This is an estimate

DISBAND INFO
 - The parade disbands at SW 14th and SW Taylor. There will be police and parade officials in the disband area to assist.
 - No vehicles are allowed to park on SW 14th or SW Taylor. Vehicles parked on these streets will be towed at owner expense.

HELPFUL LINKS
Application (including Rules and Regulations on page 2)
Participant Instructions

MAPS:
NEW ROUTE!

FORMATION/STAGING AREA MAP

NEAREST TO DISBAND AREA: PARKING

NOTES:
 - Our normal area of parking and hanging out all day will likely need to change due to the new route, we will update asap
 - We will hang out all afternoon somewhere :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 10:56:19 AM by jj49 »
TB-14944

Offline Ergamack

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: 06.04.22: 2022 Starlight Parade - Portland (SPOTTER SIGNUPS)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 04:22:34 AM »
Let's try this again. I was signed up to help for the first time back in 2019, but everything got canceled. I am happy to help anywhere you need me that day.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:14:46 AM by Ergamack »

Offline hlmcgee

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:43:48 AM »
Delaney’s boyfriend Greg Barrell has volunteered to spot for this event.
I am a Jedi, I'm one with the Force, and the Force will guide me.

Offline hlmcgee

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 01:29:37 PM »
My husband Darrell McGee will spot for us
I am a Jedi, I'm one with the Force, and the Force will guide me.

Offline jj49

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 12:00:49 PM »
We received additional information regarding formation/staging and disband areas, as well as more important timing updates. Please see the original post for all the details. Here a few highlights:
 - The Parade start time has moved to 7:30pm
 - We must be on the sidewalk of our formation block no later than 6pm (corner of SW Oak St and 1st Street - map above)
 - Disband information at SW 14th and SW Taylor.

Other updates to come in the next few days:
 - Location to meet for our orientation at 4pm - ALL MARCHERS AND SPOTTERS MUST ATTEND
 - Tips on where to park
 - Any other gathering details for the day
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:03:01 PM by jj49 »
TB-14944

Offline ceric

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 05:23:55 PM »
My wife Patricia would like to volunteer for a spotter position
-Eric Clark

Offline saberwolff

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 01:30:00 PM »
      Saberwolff TK 2129  I will have a spotter for the parade. Not sure which one yet, but I will have a spotter so you can put one down for me name TBD.
                                                                                               Will
Will

Offline alexcobb202

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 04:54:27 PM »
I have a good friend, Billy Gunderson, in town. He would like to spot for us if the 10th spot is still open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline saberwolff

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 09:57:33 AM »
     I regret to inform that both of my choices for spotters have dropped out so I have unroster my spotter position
Will

Offline Ergamack

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 09:33:13 AM »
Was there ever a new "hang out" spot picked?

Offline Sarah

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 09:56:19 AM »
We’re parking at the Smart Park between 3rd and 4th, Alder and Morrison. We’re aiming for second to last level to give us some cover. It’s about two blocks from our parade staging area.
TK/ID/DS/DZ-26534

Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs!

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 03:16:37 PM »
Spotter meeting will be at 500PM on the fifth floor of the aforementioned parking garage.
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Ergamack

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 03:30:03 PM »
Thank you. I can now stop walking around in circles.

Tags: