Author Topic: Phase II Fives ARC WIP  (Read 1071 times)

Disasterbate

Phase II Fives ARC WIP
« on: October 18, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »
Howdy, all. I've begun work on my phase II Fives build with the 3D printed route. Since 3D printing isn't exactly the norm for costume builds, I'm curious to see what sorts of challenges I'll run into during the process of this, but I guess we'll see!

As of now, I have the helmet almost entirely constructed. I bought two separate Galactic Armory files to build this: The standard animated phase II grunt for the main bulk of the helmet, and then the rangefinder from the ARC helmet. I took the main piece into Meshmixer to remove the right earpiece to make room for the rangefinder.

Oh and for the pictures, pardon my poodoo camera. ;)

Here's some close up details on the right side. There does appear to be some lines visible here, but since I've gone through the filler primer and bondo stages, I think they might just be scratches from the sanding and not actually print lines, especially since I haven't gone in yet to do the higher grit sanding that would buff those scratches out. Corners are also particularly tough, but hopefully this counts as fully finished before I move on to the next round of sanding and painting, as well as the assembly of the rangefinder.

I have the rangefinder itself assembled, more or less, I just need to glue the base down to the helmet. I've decided that because the the stem piece may not necessarily last forever, I want to leave it unglued to the base piece in case it ever breaks and needs to be replaced. Better to replace just one part than the entire rangefinder. It also looks a tad rough on the top piece there, so I'll need to give it a bit more sanding. It's just the picture I got right now. Smile

The aerators are not pictured, but they are definitely around!

Offline NavySith

Re: Phase II Fives ARC WIP
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline Nathanzx10r

• Cloud City Admin
  • GML
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
Man, I really need to get a 3D printer! Not like the old school days when we used VHS tapes and wore out the pause button trying to get a good shot of the props we were trying to duplicate  :lol:
Scout Trooper / RO-Tie Pilot / Tusken Raider

Disasterbate

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 03:50:05 AM »
The white paint has gone over the primer finally and the helmet has received another round of sanding, so it's nice and smooth again. Spent the last hour and a half sketching out the rishi eel design. Tedious, but I think I'm finally happy with it. At least without a second opinion, that is. I purchased a cheap airbrush a few days ago and decided to decant one of the cans of the blue paint I intend to use (Krylon True Blue) in order to just airbrush the design on. I previously built a 501st grunt helmet for myself, but even with the simpler design, using the spray can was a little tricky. I think the airbrush will save me a lot of time (due to less error correction, hopefully). Here's how it's currently looking.

And the back, which right as I was about to upload, realized I forgot to add the back spikes on the top. :lol:

And since I forgot to show them last time, here's the aerators.

The base of the rangefinder was also added, but my dumb butt managed to take a picture that didn't show that.

Man, I really need to get a 3D printer! Not like the old school days when we used VHS tapes and wore out the pause button trying to get a good shot of the props we were trying to duplicate  :lol:
A 3D printer was one of the best purchases I ever made. Can personally vouch for the Creality CR-10S. But haha I have to imagine so! My old Star Wars VHS tapes are definitely showing their age, but I definitely wasn't using them for costume purposes at the time.

Offline NavySith

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 05:49:55 AM »
The bucket is starting to look good and eel is the hardship part of the costume because there is no specific pattern. From I can see it looks like the front of the eel is really narrow, the red arrow needs a stem on top, and the back points should be the same on either side.

When did my eel, I contacted the person that the Fives CRL was accepted with to see if they might be able to help with design and they sent me close ups of the approved helmet to get more detailed images, it helped me putting that image together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Disasterbate

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 04:19:30 AM »
While I finished the main design of the eel, I was starting to get carried away with painting other parts like the rangefinder and ear piece, and realized I should probably stop in case major changes need to be done to the eel. The lines didn't come out quite as perfectly as I'd have liked, but after some tweaking, I think they look okay.

And then there's this one, which I know is similar to the second one, but it shows the design of the eel a wee bit better.

Unfortunately I probably shouldn't have used this helmet as my first foray into airbrushing since it could have turned out a lot better. I ended up buying another can of the stuff I decanted to just get the even coat I wanted. Oh well! You win some, you lose some. :D

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 10:51:55 AM »
Looking good! Just remember since its animated lines and paint wont have to be perfect as it will get heavy weathering!! Looking forward to more clones!!
Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Disasterbate

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 03:07:49 AM »
Back from a pretty decent absence to say that for the time being, this build is being put on hold for other projects. As I only have 3D printing to work with for the time being, I realized that the currently available GA files for animated ARC trooper accessories are meant more or less to fit with the phase 1 armor instead. Fives appears to have a more unusual set of armor in this regard as (seemingly) one of the few ARC troopers to utilize phase 2 armor. The helmet has since been weathered, but should the files for phase 2 animated ARC accessories become available, I may be back to finish this one. In the meantime, I am likely going to be starting another build instead. :D

Tags: