Author Topic: WIP: the road to Kylo  (Read 1532 times)

Offline DarthCephalus

WIP: the road to Kylo
« on: September 14, 2020, 11:23:58 PM »
Hi guys, so I am expanding my Dark side horizons into my first fully cannon character. Looking at TFA Kylo. So far, I have cape and outer robe from HJO/ Darkside costumes, helmet from Wicked Armor, and gloves from... somewhere. Not sure the maker on the gloves, but I got them off an approved SL so I was lead to believe they were appropriate. Looking at PHP props for the belt. Crow props for the boots, xcoser for the neck seal, and still trying to figure out a vender on the sleeves and under tunic. I wanted to go with the false under tunic that used to be approvable, but they changed the CRL. Not planning to do the mid tunic as I want to keep down the layers as much as I can. Figured I was finally invested enough to Star the build thread though. I’ll try to post pics tomorrow. They are too large to upload so I have to host them somewhere.

Offline DarthCephalus

Re: WIP: the road to Kylo
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »
Update:
I think I have a line on everything at this point. Mostly waiting now.

Parts I have:
Dark side customs cape/hood and outer robe
Wicked Armor helmet
Gloves by unknown maker, but second hand  from an approved Ren
Boots from Imperial Boots

Parts on order:
Tunic and sleeves from Spacekitten customs (went with variated pleats)
Belt and neck seal from PHP props (not technically ordered but in build queue)

Parts left to order:
Black series saber (converted)
Guess Harlem coated zip jeans. 

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
I’d say you’re on the right track. Just make sure it fits well. PHProps and CrowProps are good sources. Done lots of business with both those gentlemen.
ID/DZ/SL-46602

Offline Nathanzx10r

• Cloud City Admin
  • GML
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it all come together!
Scout Trooper / RO-Tie Pilot / Tusken Raider

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
I’d say you’re on the right track. Just make sure it fits well. PHProps and CrowProps are good sources. Done lots of business with both those gentlemen.
Thanks Vaughn. In theory it should all fit. Fit on the outer robe seems good and the rest is being built to my specifications. Fingers crossed at least.

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 06:32:21 AM »
Coming along well, but tell us more about Wizard Kittens! Lol
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 12:20:20 AM »
Wizard kittens is a pretty cute little card game. Definitely recommend. Anywhoooo... just got the lsat parts ordered for this costume. Belt and neck seal will be coming from PHProps. I was on a wait list, but now my turn has come.  I have a feeling they will come in before the sleeves I ordered last year from SpaceKittenCustoms. Picked up the saber on a sweet sale. It is a Supreme Leader FX Elite I will modify myself.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 09:01:20 AM »
Karina with SpaceKittenStudios does great work. She does take a while but I’ve gotten sleeves and two capes from her and she always delivers.
ID/DZ/SL-46602

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 10:42:36 PM »
Belt and neck seal obtained from PHP. Now just waiting on the tunic and sleeves from Spacekitten customs. Ordered back in November, but I knew it would be a long wait going in.

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »
So since these images, some folks on the SLD advised me the helmet was not correct. Turns out what I have was Wicked Armor prototype from before the back of the helmet was seen. Still pretty cool and works kind of for the TFA hooded Kylo, but I decided to be safe, I would do a Black series conversion.  Got the electronics removed, seams sealed, primed, texture applied, and a black satin top coat. Fabric blacked out on the eyes and cheek vents. Brow vents filled and Weathered. I used silver paint fir the dings. Tried to follow the CRL pic as best I could,  but the resolution on it left a lot to be desired, so I had to let the dents on the mold guide me a bit. Used soot from one of my fire tools to blacken the bottom part of the chrome a bit. My son wanted to help me model it. Per some advice from the SLD, I also went back with some pewter Rub n Buff.

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 04:53:22 PM »
I decided to make myself some blade sleeves. The plain white blades were not cutting it for me (pun intended) and I figure I’ll have it off most of the time while trooping anyways. I didn’t like the looks of the silicone or hot glue versions so I used red cellophane.

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 04:56:13 PM »
Got the magnets in the helmet and hood. Working on cape/cowl styling and hood placement, which some at the SLD also said needed work. With the tunic and robe on, it should pop the shoulders up, but I think it is getting there.  Interesting development: over time, I have been collecting TLJ parts as well while I worked on this, and it looks like they will both be done at the same time when the sleeves finally come in. Just scored a TLJ tunic in exactly my size from DS 33310. Picked up the cape a while back from my Vaughn. Neck seal I got was either/or and most of the other parts are the same. Once the Tunic comes in, I'll have to get shots of that ensemble as well.

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
Got a pic of the TLJ ensemble. Pants are coated denim. They do not have the seams in the back of the knees or daggers above and below yet, but I am working on it. Cape is from Spacekitten customs. Not sure where the tunic is from, but it came from an approved member. Sleeves are still just stand ins as I am still waiting on the set I ordered last November. Still figuring out the opera straps on the cape.

Offline DarthCephalus

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 11:39:49 AM »
Sleeves and tunic from Spacekitten Customs. I have been waiting on these for about 19 months. At this point, I think I just need to finish the darts on the knees and then it is time for a test fit and submission photos.

Tags: