Author Topic: New trooper, where do I buy spec aromor, I'm on a tight budget.  (Read 6158 times)

Offline CJ49er

Re: New trooper, where do I buy spec aromor, I'm on a tight budget.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »

If I'm not joining the legion at the time of our conversation/conversations, I don't quite have to be up to 501st spec right? Well unless I do a troop with a parent or guardian. However if I did get my kit before I join the 501st, do I have to wear civilian clothing or could I wear my armor? (I would go with a parent/ guardian to these.)

About the shoes, would you recommend me get white shoes or cheaper shoes and paint them white? What are some tools I may need for building? Also where could I get them? There is a harbor freight close to me. ( industrial tool store) or should I order them online? Do I HAVE to get a $150-$200 weapon to have it be 501st spec or can I get something cheaper?

In all how much would you estimate me paying for all of the soft goods of a basic TK set? And once I get my kit should I go to armor parties since I have little to no experience with this or should I try it myself? Overall this is very confusing but I'll keep researching. Last night I went to bed at 4 AM because I was on forums for 6 hours. I can see many sleepless night in my future. "I've got a bad feeling about this." -Obi-wan

Thank you al for all of your help and sorry for such a lengthy conversation. I hope I didn't take up too much of your time. Thank you guys!

You would not need to be in an approved costume until you were an actual member of the 501st, basically you could wear whatever you want until a member. Although since you are wanting to join, I would recommend staying focused on wearing approvable armor.

For the correct TK shoes, you should stick with what others are doing, which is most likely TKBoots.com or ImperialBoots.com. Some people do buy the same shoes used in the movies and paint them white.

You can buy tools, most common will be utility knives, clamps, magnets, rotary tool, sheers, but you could also just attend armor parties to use tools and get help from others. 

Basic approval for a 501st TK does not require ANY blaster, so if you're on a budget, skip the blaster for now.

Bottom line is read, read, read..... Dont stay up until 4am reading, but read a LOT :)   There is much to learn from the hundreds of people that have been down this road.

SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »

If I'm not joining the legion at the time of our conversation/conversations, I don't quite have to be up to 501st spec right? Well unless I do a troop with a parent or guardian. However if I did get my kit before I join the 501st, do I have to wear civilian clothing or could I wear my armor? (I would go with a parent/ guardian to these.)

About the shoes, would you recommend me get white shoes or cheaper shoes and paint them white? What are some tools I may need for building? Also where could I get them? There is a harbor freight close to me. ( industrial tool store) or should I order them online? Do I HAVE to get a $150-$200 weapon to have it be 501st spec or can I get something cheaper?

In all how much would you estimate me paying for all of the soft goods of a basic TK set? And once I get my kit should I go to armor parties since I have little to no experience with this or should I try it myself? Overall this is very confusing but I'll keep researching. Last night I went to bed at 4 AM because I was on forums for 6 hours. I can see many sleepless night in my future. "I've got a bad feeling about this." -Obi-wan

Thank you al for all of your help and sorry for such a lengthy conversation. I hope I didn't take up too much of your time. Thank you guys!

You would not need to be in an approved costume until you were an actual member of the 501st, basically you could wear whatever you want until a member. Although since you are wanting to join, I would recommend staying focused on wearing approvable armor.

For the correct TK shoes, you should stick with what others are doing, which is most likely TKBoots.com or ImperialBoots.com. Some people do buy the same shoes used in the movies and paint them white.

You can buy tools, most common will be utility knives, clamps, magnets, rotary tool, sheers, but you could also just attend armor parties to use tools and get help from others. 

Basic approval for a 501st TK does not require ANY blaster, so if you're on a budget, skip the blaster for now.

Bottom line is read, read, read..... Dont stay up until 4am reading, but read a LOT :)   There is much to learn from the hundreds of people that have been down this road.

We are here to help. :). If your goal is future 501st membership than you should shoot for the minimum requirement.  A blaster isn't required but if you want to be approved with one than it's going to cost what I had said before.

As for the exact tools and soft goods I can't really answer that.  You'll learn what people use through research and then you can search and choose things based on your budget.  Don't go out and buy tools right now.  Research kits and makers right now.  That's your first step.  Learn about the differences between the various maker options and then make that purchase.  In the mean time learn everything you can about building a kit.  There are many ways to do it and the way I built mine is going to be different from how you built yours.

You are of course welcome to go to armor parties when they happen, but you will do the majority of your building at home, but between asking questions of builders here and on FISD you'll be fine.  I had no idea what I was doing when I started.
Thank all of you so much for all of the diversity of your answers! It truly means so so much to me. Having such a helpful community is amazing for me and everyone else. I will definitely be researching more and watching the original movies for more information on my TK armor. I'll also look at build guides and forums to make sure I have movie screen accuracy. It will be a long trip but I'm so glad to have all of you guys with me.

I'm glad to hear that even though the armor should look screen accurate that there's still flexibility. I'll keep my eye out for lower cost kits and sales on items. I'll make sure to keep a journal for all of my research so I don't forget everything. Thank you ALL for the help and support that you've given me. It has really helped me get on my feet! Thank you again!

Happy trooping! -Gage

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »
We do have a section of the forum that's dedicated to Work In Progress builds, so totally feel free to start one and keep us updated!
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
We do have a section of the forum that's dedicated to Work In Progress builds, so totally feel free to start one and keep us updated!
Thank you lidocaine! I'll make sure to keep everyone update and/ or keep a video log on YouTube of my journey! Thanks again! -Gage Ceballos

Contact info: gageceballos63@gmail.com
                 (1)541-992-9220

Offline bigguynextdoor

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
It will take time,... but Welcome Aboard! :)

~SHHHHHH,....HOHHHHH,...
"I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing."

ANH Darth Vader
SL 20461

Offline Gewn

• Cloud City Retired
  • DS-32986
    • Art Work Rebels
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 12:25:34 AM »
If you order an ANOVOS kit it'll probably get here by the time you're 18. Problem solved! Haha!

As has already been stated numerous times, just read and check the forums. It's the best way to ensure you don't spend unnecessary money and waste your time. Also, be wary of anything you find on the internet that isn't backed up on a 501st forum. Especially armor kits that can be found on eBay and Etsy. If it seems like a deal too good to be true, it probably is.

Best of luck, Gage. We all look forward to seeing you at an armor party!

Hikuro1983

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
If you order an ANOVOS kit it'll probably get here by the time you're 18. Problem solved! Haha!

As has already been stated numerous times, just read and check the forums. It's the best way to ensure you don't spend unnecessary money and waste your time. Also, be wary of anything you find on the internet that isn't backed up on a 501st forum. Especially armor kits that can be found on eBay and Etsy. If it seems like a deal too good to be true, it probably is.

Best of luck, Gage. We all look forward to seeing you at an armor party!
Anovos gonna need some ointment for that burn...sheesh.

And welcome Gage, I would also recommend whitearmor.net and there are a ton of FB groups that give you some pretty good intel on various armor smiths. Once in a while like towards end of year there are groups who do a BOGO deal or good discounts. But also do your research on sellers. There are a lot out there who recast for cheaper prices and the quality will be fairly bad.

My recommendation is start out small, I gathered what I could over time and became a Tie Reserve Pilot while looking around for the best price and service to get my armor. Luckily enough I have a good friend who's also my wingman who gave me some of the parts I needed and made the rest easy. So make lots of friends in the group, show your interest and enthusiasm and you'll always find the help you need.

Offline Rat

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »
So a little bit late in the welcome, but welcome. Have you gotten a kit together yet and you should be old enough to join by now.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Tags: