Author Topic: Staying in character and responding to certain situations  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Staying in character and responding to certain situations
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Hello all!
Sorry for starting yet another topic.  :tongue:

Now that I have been out in my armor, I found that I really need to work on staying in character. More specifically, I need to figure out the best ways to respond to certain situations and comments that people frequently made.

So far, the most common thing is "Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper?" (I am, in fact, WAY too tall for a Stormtrooper!) I've been responding with something along the lines of "That's why they give me the big guns!" in reference to my DLT-19. I went HWT for a reason! This situation isn't hard to respond to, really.

The hardest one for me so far, is when people try using the Jedi mind trick. If they're a little kid or dressed up as a Jedi, I'll play along within reason... But I kept running in to 20-30 year olds that were trying to make me say or do something stupid or eye-roll worthy. The best way I found to decline is by threatening to arrest them for attempting to manipulate an imperial soldier (or something like that).

I've been trying to answer questions about my armor in character as well. Things like "How much did that cost" are usually met with "It cost me nothing but a lifetime of service and dedication to the Empire". I think I'm getting better at reading people to figure out if an in-character answer is appropriate or if they want a serious answer.

So, now I'm curious. How often do you stay in character? Is it encouraged, required or just kinda' up to you? And what are some common things that are said/done that I should prepare for?

Thanks for any advice you have!  :azn:
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Staying in character and responding to certain situations
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:16:54 PM »
I just tell those that I am a Jedi in disguise so Mind tricks do not work on me.  ;)
Allan Quick

Offline zuckuss501

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:13:55 PM »
People ask me who I am a lot, I tell them I'm zuckuss, a bounty hunter! .......... And they still don't know who I am, some of the 501 st thought I was a Tuscan raider, and my name is zackess, but hey, as long as you know who you are, and you have fun, that's all that matters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline L Kamino

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »
If someone asks me something vague, I stay in character.  One lady asked how I can see out of my mask, and a gave a lengthy explanation about my digital holographic readout inside.  (I had her going but finally told her the truth.)  If I can tell by their demeanor and the type of questions that they're genuinely curious about details (and might be recruitable) I break character and talk to them as myself, explaining things and the workings of my saber. 

My most common question from the kids?  "Can I have your light saber?"  My answer: "Sorry...no.  I can't be deprived of my weapon.  What if a Jedi shows up?"
Eetla the Ewok, Darth Revan, Pilot with Rebel Legion Starfighter Command

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:51:12 PM »
I just tell those that I am a Jedi in disguise so Mind tricks do not work on me.  ;)

I'll keep that one as a backup plan!  :wink:

People ask me who I am a lot, I tell them I'm zuckuss, a bounty hunter! .......... And they still don't know who I am, some of the 501 st thought I was a Tuscan raider, and my name is zackess, but hey, as long as you know who you are, and you have fun, that's all that matters!

I can totally understand the general public not knowing who you are... But 501st members thinking you're a Tusken Raider? I guess Zuckuss is just obscure enough, huh?  :tongue:
If someone asks me something vague, I stay in character.  One lady asked how I can see out of my mask, and a gave a lengthy explanation about my digital holographic readout inside.  (I had her going but finally told her the truth.)  If I can tell by their demeanor and the type of questions that they're genuinely curious about details (and might be recruitable) I break character and talk to them as myself, explaining things and the workings of my saber. 

My most common question from the kids?  "Can I have your light saber?"  My answer: "Sorry...no.  I can't be deprived of my weapon.  What if a Jedi shows up?"

Being able to figure out if they want a serious answer or not is something I'm working pretty hard on. I like that lightsaber answer though! I might have to do something similar for my blaster.
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
You can ask them if they have completed Imperial Heavy blaster training in the last year.  :)
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44:04 AM »
You can ask them if they have completed Imperial Heavy blaster training in the last year.  :)
Ha! I like this one. I think this will be my main excuse for those times I don't want people holding it.  :grin:
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline Ancient Fan

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »
Being a face character (Moff) when people are harassing stormtroopers or being rather impertinent I just tell the civilians "do not harass the stormtroopers, they have not been fed today..yet" that usually gets them laughing or at least back off. But for those trying to see inside a helmet or touch,grab,push costume characters I just tell them "the emperor does not approve of your actions" I then stand between the costume of their attention and them so that ends the problem right there. Not done angrily, just assertive is all - and in character (for a Moff).
Phil / ID 7538

Imperial Doorman

Offline Beckett

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »

I love Zuckuss.....great Character!
You can also find me on Facebook: Josh Beckett or Facebook Messenger. Or if you hate those you can shoot a text to 503-999-4664
joshmbeckett@gmail.com

Offline Beckett

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 03:19:38 PM »
In my first troop I broke character much more than I wanted. I think I'm gunna get better with time but I have a vision of consistently only breaking character for communicating with spotters. Its gunna take me some time though. One of the big challenges is that I love talking about my costume and the build so I'm gunna have to just suck it up and commit. I feel like it gives my spotters a sense of gratification knowing they have to wrangle me and keep me in line also. And its not easy finding spotters so I really want them to feel like they are needed BIGTIME. For me this all a huge part of the fun. Love this thread!
You can also find me on Facebook: Josh Beckett or Facebook Messenger. Or if you hate those you can shoot a text to 503-999-4664
joshmbeckett@gmail.com

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:28 PM »
..."the emperor does not approve of your actions" I then stand between the costume of their attention and them so that ends the problem right there. Not done angrily, just assertive is all - and in character (for a Moff).

The stern look of disapproval is totally normal....and effective! I like it!

In my first troop I broke character much more than I wanted. I think I'm gunna get better with time but I have a vision of consistently only breaking character for communicating with spotters....

Now, you have a totally reasonable excuse to break character, especially when communicating with spotters! I imagine that it's hard to convey important messages just by flailing around and making wookie noises.  :wink:
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline David A

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
Well for me I stay in  character the full time, no matter what people say or do, for me its all about keeping the illusion of  that character for the kids.... Kids know when you are out of  character I have heard them say it about some troopers once or twice,,,

Offline Beckett

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:26 PM »
I really like what Dave said. It makes me think of the first time I brought my daughter to Disneyland. Cruella De VIlle kept asking my daughter about her dog in a really evil voice and Maleficent kept telling us how terrible our daughter was right in front of her. She really did think they were evil. There is something really magical about that interaction that leaves a lasting memory. A great costume is one thing but a great costume on a great actor is another thing all together.
joshmbeckett@gmail.com

Offline bpresson

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »

Any true fan of Star Wars should know you are. I knew it instantly, and was completely WOWed by your accomplishment.

Tags: