Author Topic: DStep's ANH stunt TK build (ATA)  (Read 7665 times)

Offline DStep

Re: DStep's ANH stunt TK build (ATA)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:44 PM »
OK I’ve made more progress on the body.  Here are pics of the body with a test fit.  I think cleaning up the return edges came out nice.

OK, so here are my questions:
1) This fit feels great at the bottom, but I notice the chest sits pretty high.  The neck line is pretty snug against my throat, but it’s not uncomfortable.  I’ve trimmed it back to about 1/8” return edge.  I’m not sure if I should remove all off it.

2) I also noticed that there’s just a small gap between the shoulder tabs on the chest and back.  Should I drop the front and back lower to allow more room for the length of the shoulder straps?
There’s also a formed crease across the shoulder tabs on the back piece (I’ll post a pic soon).  I wasn’t sure if that was a trim line, so I left it and it makes the shoulder tab longer.

3) In general, the armor feels pretty big/roomy right now.  I’m 5’7”, 165lbs...about a 32 waist.  Should I trim more off on the kidney and the ab, where they connect?  This would bring it in tighter, but I’m thinking it would throw off the notch that I still need to cut out at the bottom front of the kidney.

I think I’m at a point where this part of the build will help determine  the placement of the shoulder bells and thighs, so I’ll wait until I get some feedback.

Thank you all for the help so far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DStep

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 09:28:04 AM »
Here are the shoulder tabs on the back.  I guess it does look like I need to trim to those lines.

I think I’m going to remove all of the return edge on the neckline of the chest.  I’ll try the next test fit with the neck seal and full undersuit on also.  I adjusted the taller brackets on the chest.  They were pointing towards the back of the armor (because of the angle of the return edge) and I ended up bending them until they were pointed up (up against the inside of the chest).  It made a big difference in lowering the chest down to the ab.

Time for a test fit and I think this will help bring the neckline on the back piece up higher.

Offline DStep

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
I’ve also got the knee plate trimmed and test fitted.  I think it’s ready for some glue.

Offline DStep

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 10:53:15 PM »
Here’s testing fitting #2.  I’ve made these adjustments:
-on the chest piece, removed all the return edge on the neckline and trimmed more on the bottom by the ab
-trimmed the excess shoulder tabs on the back piece
-cut the notch on the bottom of the kidney

Unfortunately, it’s pretty uncomfortable around the neck...on the verge of a choking feeling.  I later tried stuffing the chest to pull it away from my neck and it helped a lot, so I can put foam in there if this fit looks right.  I also tried widening the gap between the shoulder tabs on the chest and back, but I think it drops the back piece down a bit.

Any thoughts on any other adjustments that should be made?

Offline DStep

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
Just a small update while I wait for the strap buckles to arrive.

The gloves are done, made a few snap plates for the modified chest/ab connection and waiting for the paint to dry on the TD.

Offline DStep

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
Finally made some more progress.  TD is all done!

On to wrapping up the torso.  All the elastic, snaps and rivets are in.  I started test fitting the shoulder straps and they come too far onto the back plate.

I found a post that mentions that the CRL has been updated to allow cutting the back of the strap for L1 approval.  If I’m going for Centurion, then is this acceptable too?  I just wanted to confirm.  I was planning to cut off the back tab and a few ridges to make it fit better.

Offline daryldoak

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »
I recommend trimming more around the edges of those straps, so there’s only 1 or 2 mms of flat around the entire strap. 
And I wouldn’t cutoff the back tab yet, I’d move them farther forward so 3 or 4 of the smaller ridges are on the chest straps.
TK/TA/TS/IS/IC/BH-11371

Offline DStep

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »
I recommend trimming more around the edges of those straps, so there’s only 1 or 2 mms of flat around the entire strap. 
And I wouldn’t cutoff the back tab yet, I’d move them farther forward so 3 or 4 of the smaller ridges are on the chest straps.

Yeah I tried a test fit with a rough trim on the shoulder straps.  I’ve got them trimmed and sanded now and tried moving them lower on the chest plate.

I noticed that they start going over the ridge on the chest and won’t mount flat.  Is this ok?

Offline DStep

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »
Been making a little progress here and there.  Just need to paint the details on the body, finish the ab buttons, make some final adjustments and then work on the helmet.

It feels nice to see it all coming together!

Offline DStep

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
Been real busy with life, so progress has been slow.  Finally got the helmet together...just need to trim the neck, put the S trim and paint.

Tags: