Author Topic: Hello from Southern California!  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Kathryn

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Hello from Southern California!
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
Hello!

First off let me introduce myself. My name is Ana and I live in Los Angeles, California. I am part of the Southern California Garrison, Orange County Squad.

I am planning a vacation through Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, Victoria and Vancouver Canada in March and was wondering if you fine folks could help me out as to recommend what fun activities and sightseeing to do. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I will come bearing gifts if any of you would like to meet up. :)

Ana

Planned itinerary:
Mar 18 - LA to Medford, OR
19 - Medford, OR to Seattle, WA
20 - Tour Seattle
21 - Seattle ferry to Victoria for the day and spend night in Vancouver
22 - 23 - In Vancouver
24 - 25 - Leaving to Portland OR
26 - Portland, OR to San Francisco, CA
27 - San Francisco to LA

Offline CJ49er

Re: Hello from Southern California!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
Hey there Ana!

Multnomah Falls is close by and worth visiting, Voodoo Donuts in downtown P-town is a popular spot. Tons of micro-breweries and wineries in the area also. I am sure others can throw in some other great local spots to visit.
Should be some good snow on the mountains during that time of year also.

Chris
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline L Kamino

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:17:38 AM »
Yes, Multnomah Falls is a great place.  If seeing the waterfalls are of interest to you, Latourell Falls is near Multnomah Falls and is a beauty.  A caution to you if you do go visit any of the waterfalls:  Don't leave any valuables in your car.  The lots get hit bad if there's anything visible.  Just bring a pack and keep your stuff with you. 

Our zoo is really nice, even if the weather is rainy!  There's a train you can ride to tour it, and there's some great ice cream and raspberry sherbet at the cafĂ©.

I like the Japanese Gardens as well.  And like the zoo, it's a great place to visit when it rains.  There's less people, and some of the gardens are designed to channel rainwater. 

Depending on how late you depart on the 26th, Portland Saturday Market (a street fair) is a fun place to visit.  There's great food and lots of local art and products.  Strange and interesting people-watching too. 

Lori

Eetla the Ewok, Darth Revan, Pilot with Rebel Legion Starfighter Command

Offline Cob

• Cloud City Reserve
  • IS-10054
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »
This reddit thread has some common responses -- https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/1hbkv2/new_to_portland_what_are_some_things_i_must_do/

visit powells books.
eat at pok pok
I heard voodoo donuts is overrated and you should go to blue star instead, but I can't have donuts so this is all hearsay.
play a game of DDR at ground zero
ride the aerial tram at OHSU
japanese gardens can be nice, but only if you avoid the crowded days
pittock mansion has a nice view of portland even if you don't take the tour
if you eat at huber's make sure you sit in the bar side -- it has a cool ceiling

Offline L Kamino

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:40:35 AM »
I agree about Blue Star being better, and there's one right in the Hawthorne shopping district,  which is also cool.
Eetla the Ewok, Darth Revan, Pilot with Rebel Legion Starfighter Command

Offline Kathryn

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
Thank you everyone for their suggestion and responsiveness over the Holiday weekend. Time to hunt and book hotels. May each and everyone of you have Happy and safe New Year!

Tags: