Author Topic: Looking to Enlist!  (Read 2997 times)

Offline norfious

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Looking to Enlist!
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »
Hello! I have been a fan of Star Wars -- especially the clones -- for a long time and have desired to join the 501st for just as long. I had the thrill of meeting some of the Cloud City garrison at WizardCon earlier this year, which rekindled my desire enough to speak up and introduce myself here.

I am completely new to costume making of any sort, which has been what has prevented me posting previously. This is probably a huge undertaking for a complete newbie like me, but I've decided that I won't get any better unless I see other people's work and research here on the forums!

My eventual target costume is a clone commando, probably Scorch or Boss. Alternately, I would be interested in a phase 1 AOTC trooper or a ROTS shock trooper. Though honestly, any variety of clone trooper would do! I would be just as happy with a storm trooper as well!

I am a member of the clone trooper forums right now. I heard a group of folks over there got together for an "armor party," where they all made their armors together and helped each other out. I was wondering if the Cloud City Garrison ever did anything like this? If so, I would be incredibly interested. I have no skills whatsoever in sculpting plastic and am not confident enough to buy a $300+ kit and make it by myself.

More realistically, since my costuming skills are laughable at best, I think I should start with something simpler and cheaper, like an Imperial warrant officer or bridge crew. I'm also a member of the officer corp forums to get costume ideas.

I look forward to learning and talking with all of you. Any tips or direction for complete newbies would be appreciated!

Offline Leia8674

Re: Looking to Enlist!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  There is a lot of help out there and many people have been in your spot. 
Macy

Offline NavySith

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »
Welcome to the forums. I am one of the Clones, any questions feel free to ask

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline norfious

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
Thank you for the welcomes, everyone! I am very excited to get started! :)

Offline Han_Solo

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Welcome! I am in the process of building some stormtrooper armor for my wife. Like you, I had zero experience in making anything until I took on this project. The only tools I needed to buy were a rotary tool, an exacto knife, and a heat gun. I won't lie, it's been very tricky and challenging. My advice would be to watch some youtube videos on how to assemble the armor that you want to get. I watched several hours of video and thought to myself, "ok, I think I could do all of that." I have been working on the armor for 4 months, and am about halfway finished with it. I would do your research, and get started right away. It is definitely a process! There are armor parties on here from time to time, I would highly recommend going to one if you can, it will severely cut down on your assembly time. Everyone here is very kind and helpful. If you have the desire to make it through the process, then you can do it, experience or not! :)

Offline maxsteele

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »
Welcome!

I had absolutely zero experience working with any kind of plastic or costuming when I made the decision to make a set of Stormtrooper armor.  I got my kit August of last year, and I'm looking to finish my whole build by the end of this week.

It has been nothing but a learning process since the day I started.  Keep in mind that although there are people that can give you advice, and can lend some assistance, ultimately this is your kit and no one will care about the build as much as you're going to.  There will be times when you get discouraged and want to stop, but you have to remind yourself that no one is going to come build your set for you.  You need to be the one ultimately responsible in getting it fit, cut, and wearable.

There are many online resources which will help you to walk through the build.  If you're going for a clone, you'll want to get signed up to the Clone Trooper detachment forums at http://clonetroopers.net/ .  On there you will find all the information you'll need to help decide what clone to choose and where to get materials.

Once you get a build selected and are ready to start working on it, make a build thread over there and here, and photo document everything you're doing.  There are many skilled people who can look at your photos and give you advice on where to cut, how to fit, and what to paint to get your build up to 501st standards.

I know it sounds corny, but I am absolutely one person who can definitively say:  If I can do it, anyone can.  :)

Offline norfious

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, maxsteele and Han_Solo! It's awesome to hear about your success stories!

Still, the more I think about it, the more I I think I might wait a bit on the armor for now. I don't think I have enough confidence to spend that kind of money on something I am not sure I can make. I think I will try to start with something easier, like an Imperial Crewman or a Rebel Pilot. Those look to be the cheapest and easiest from what I have seen -- probably good for a newbie like me!  :D Then I'll work up to my dream of the armor.

(My ideal would be something simple that also covered the face, but that doesn't look really possible!)

Offline NavySith

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
I was told by several people on the CTN forum that I should start with a TK instead of a clone being I had never done armor. I didn't listen, I went with the clone and slowly worked my way through.  With the help and encouragement of many on this forum and a even a few on the CTN forum, I was able to finish and was approved in both the 501st and RL (a clone is one of the costumes that is duel approvable). You must do what feel is best for you but don't be discouraged about doing a particular costume because you have never done one.
sent from Kamino using Tapatalk

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline maxsteele

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, maxsteele and Han_Solo! It's awesome to hear about your success stories!

Still, the more I think about it, the more I I think I might wait a bit on the armor for now. I don't think I have enough confidence to spend that kind of money on something I am not sure I can make. I think I will try to start with something easier, like an Imperial Crewman or a Rebel Pilot. Those look to be the cheapest and easiest from what I have seen -- probably good for a newbie like me!  :D Then I'll work up to my dream of the armor.

(My ideal would be something simple that also covered the face, but that doesn't look really possible!)

My suggestion is build what you want.  If you want an Imperial Crewman, then go for it.  If you want a TK, but you build a Crewman, you're just going to want to build a TK after you're done.

Whatever you choose, there are many resources out there to assist you.  Good luck!

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
I say, if you really want to do a Clone or Stormtrooper, just dive in head first!  I had absolutely no costuming or crafting experience at all before I built my TK. A stormtrooper would be the most affordable option, starting in the $500 range for just the plastic armor kit. Clones are quite a bit more expensive.  It does take a bit of confidence to tackle an armor kit, and it can be overwhelming at first, but trust me YOU CAN DO IT!!  What part of town do you live in?   
TK/TD-76216

Tags: