Author Topic: Event Curiousity Questions  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Wylde

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Event Curiousity Questions
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
So I've been pouring over all of these forums, along with other sites and I noticed there are not a lot of events that are done in the Southern Oregon area.  I'm just curious if there's a reason for this, since if I'm able to be a part of this after I finish my TK, am I going to be constantly driving 250 - 300 miles to attend events?  Are there any TK's down in the Southern Oregon area at all?

Thank you!

Offline carpe mindiem

Re: Event Curiousity Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
It's a population thing. There aren't many costumers in that part of the state, and there aren't many events in that part of the state. Sometimes we get events that we have to turn down because we don't have anyone available down there. I think most of us would love to see a growth in the number of costumers so that we could increase our exposure down South. Have any friends who want to join you on this adventure? :)

Offline Wylde

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Ahh, that makes sense.  Apparently, I'm going to have to start recruiting for the Dark Side down here!  There's actually a few people I've talked to around here that might be interested, guess I'll have to get them to join!

Offline stevo502

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:31:26 AM »
DEFINITELY recruit and don't wait until you've got armor! As Mindie pointed out, a bulk of the population of the Garrison/Base are in and around Portland, so that's naturally where most of the events occur. That's a combination of not only people being available (and willing) to roster up, but also because of the frequency of events, there's more local visibility, and we get more requests.

When you start out in a new area, it will be a little bit tougher. You might need to seek out and create events to get the ball rolling. In fact that's how events started in Portland - it was four people, making things up and asking people "can we come to your event?" vs now where people ask us more often. They got out there, got visibility, recruited, and eventually became a squad then a garrison.

Back then, the main bulk of the membership was in Seattle - most interaction with Titan involved Portland people driving up there. So there were a lot of small events here with small rosters - don't fall under the illusion that you need numbers or specific characters to make an event worthwhile - a couple of Stormtroopers can have a HUGE impact, especially in an area that doesn't see them every weekend.

Hopefully there will be occasions where folks from further north can support the events, but it's not a guarantee and it can't be forced. And it's not because they don't care or want you to fail, but we struggle sometimes to get people out to events here - getting them to drive 4 hours or more isn't always going to be easy. We can't make people troop (more than once a year anyway) and we can't make them troop events we want them to troop. Make it awesome, make them WANT to come down for those events (for example: Klamath Falls Scarecrow Row Harvest Festival)

ANYWAY (sorry this is so long) there are a lot of people ready and willing to give advice on setting up events, how to make contact with charities, etc. And if you're near Grants Pass, you've got a long-time trooper in Dave to help out, and I know he's ready to recruit and grow things down there. I know there are a few scattered folks way down south, hopefully they'll see this post and make contact and you all can start talking about some new events to create.

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
Yes, don't get discouraged if you don't have a Vader or other "face" character.. my son's school had me as a Gunner, Janet and her son Brendon as Imperial guard and stormtrooper, respectively and folks had a blast. My mother in law lives near Grants Pass, and events there can get me to go and do some chores for her and a troop in the same weekend, provided I'm not on call.
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Offline Wylde

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »
Thank you Dax and Stevo for the encouragement and advice!

With the business I do, I'm use to setting up events, going to events and getting people involved, so I believe this will be a lot of fun to do.  This will also tie in with the Star Wars Cosplay Calendar I'm currently working on, so I can see a lot of potential for more people down in Southern Oregon to get involved.

I'm really looking forward to being a part of this group more and I'll be up at the Rose City Comic Con in Sept. doing some photography and checking out it out.

I'm about 25 miles roughly from Grants Pass, so if Dave is interested in getting together and chatting about this, I'm sure we could come up with a plan to get something going down here and it would be nice to have someone local for advice, tips and tricks on doing my TK armor!

I have to say, it's very impressive how great this group is and I really do appreciate all the advice!

Thank you!

Offline vader55th

• Cloud City Retired
  • TD-8955
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
I haven't disappeared, I'm still here...
James
TD8955 / BH8955 / DS8955

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
Good news too is that there are many Troops in the Eugene area which is not as long of a drive.
Allan Quick

Offline Katze

• 501st Legion Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »
Eugene is a good place to get started too.  As a spotter, I attended a lot of events here as a spotter before I costumed up. We have the Eugene Celebration parade as well as PK Park coming up.  PK Park is one of my favorite events, and a lot of fun in and out of costume!
TR-52638
Janet

Offline Wylde

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
I'll have to check that out Katze!  Thanks for the heads up on the events coming up.

Yea, it's not that far of a drive at all, Quick2!

Are you in Southern Oregon Vader55th?

Offline Aysel

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »
Also, don't just recruit for "the dark side", since there are very few people down there with any type of star wars costume (Marjon is a Jedi, she's in K-Falls) pretty much any type of costume growth down there is a positive.

Blacky no stars

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 01:05:34 AM »
Klamath Falls Scarecrow Row Harvest Festival!? I'd go to that!  :D

Tags: