Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 3336 times)

Offline bpresson

New to the Forum
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
Greetings all. My name is Brian. I found you guys at the Rose City Comic Con. I was 13 yrs old when Star Wars hit the theaters, and I wanted nothing more than Stormtrooper armor. I look forward to connecting with all of you as I discover how to put a set together.

Offline carpe mindiem

Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Leia8674

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
Welcome & glad you found us!   
Macy

Offline Mosi

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
Greetings!
pew pew

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:49:15 PM »
Hello Brian!  If you haven't already, head over to whitearmor.net and read the 'Getting Started' section.  You've got LOTS of fun research to do! 
TK/TD-76216

Offline stevo502

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:50:58 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Offline bpresson

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Hello Brian!  If you haven't already, head over to whitearmor.net and read the 'Getting Started' section.  You've got LOTS of fun research to do!

Forgive my confusion on this, but it's another forum.  Is that a different group? Is Cloud City Garrison a bunch of affiliated groups, so that you sign up with the group of your interest?  Because it looks like I have to register there as well.  Go easy on me. I'm old and senile.

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
Yep, it's a different, wider (geographically) group, but also more narrowly focused on the TK costume.

Here's the breakdown:
The 501st Legion (501st.com) is the world-wide umbrella group for imperial costuming.
There are units--either garrisons or squads--in various cities, states, regions, countries, etc.
Cloud City Garrison, which covers Oregon and SW Washington, is one of the 501st Garrisons.

Now, within in the 501st, because there's such a variety of costumes, there are speciality groups that focus on specific costumes. These are called detachments. The First Imperial Stormtrooper Division (also called FISD) is the detachment that focuses on TKs. Their website is whitearmor.net. There are detachments for most any other bad guy costume you can think of.

Spend some time exploring the resources and links available from 501st.com. Ask us any questions you have. We'll be able to answer or point you in the right direction.

Offline bpresson

P.S.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
Oh, and by the way, since this forum is for the local garrison is there someone local that would like to play coach? I don't mind plowing through the resources, but it will save a lot of time if there is a group of people locally that meet occasionally to show how to do things, and just talk about how to go about stuff. Forums are great references, but it can take a lot of time to work through whole threads.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:29:23 PM by bpresson »

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
We don't have regular meetings outside of our trooping events. Come out to some events as a spotter. You can see how things happen at events, and you can talk with members, see how they've constructed different costumes, what it takes to put them on, etc. There are all sorts of ways to connect TK pieces together. Everyone has a different preference. The more you come out, the more you'll learn.

Check out this spot in our forum for upcoming spotting opportunities:
http://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?board=52.0

Also watch for armor party announcements. We did a big one over the summer. We might get another one in during the  winter months.

Offline NavySith

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »
Welcome

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline Raj Mcconn

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »
Hello I Rob Hoover took my Kid to Star Wars Would love to Hand out with fellow SW Fans
There must be some way out of Here said the Joker to the Theif

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 01:11:32 AM »

Forgive my confusion on this, but it's another forum.  Is that a different group? Is Cloud City Garrison a bunch of affiliated groups, so that you sign up with the group of your interest?  Because it looks like I have to register there as well.  Go easy on me. I'm old and senile.

No worries, Brian.  It seems the further you get in this hobby, the more message boards your on. I've only just started my first costume build, and I'm totally hooked! I'm already thinking about the 2nd and 3rd costumes I want to do!  I'm on four different message boards right now, including this one...  :D   
TK/TD-76216

Tags: