Author Topic: Possible New Recruit - Has Costuming Questions  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Krell

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Possible New Recruit - Has Costuming Questions
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
Greetings to the 501st!

My name is Jay and I have been a long-time fan of the Star Wars universe and have been considering the 501st for the past several years. I figure now is a good time to start!

I am interested in putting together a costume in an effort to join your ranks and my initial questions have to do with the approval of certain ideas.. I have spent a great deal of time reviewing the accepted costumes and such, and was trying to come up with a "generic" Sith costume that might be up to standards. Is there a Sith Acolyte costume that could be acceptable? Eventually, I would like to develop a Darth Revan costume, but I imagine that would take me a considerable amount of time and I would prefer to begin "trooping" earlier than that. I appreciate any tips or comments you are willing to share.

<bows deeply>

~ Krell ~
-------------------------
~ Jay ~

Darth Revan (WIP)
Future 501st Member
Cloud City Garrison

Offline stevo502

Re: Possible New Recruit - Has Costuming Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »
Hi Jay!

The 501st is dedicated to established characters from the Star Wars Universe, as opposed to custom or generic ones. You can find information about the acceptable film-canon Sith Lord costumes at their official detachment here:

http://www.501stsithlords.com/

You'll also find acceptable EU Sith Lords at the Expanded Universe Detachment:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/

If you're really wanting to do something custom, there's a group for that called The Dark Empire. They're another high-quality costuming organization that has been given recognition by LFL. We have some dual-members here that might be able to help you as well. Their web site is here:

http://www.thedarkempire.org/

Hopefully you'll find something in the first two links because we're always hoping to get new members! :)

-steve

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »
The SWTOR Sith Acolyte costume is accepted by the 501st. I've been (slowly) working on a suit of Sith Acolyte armor myself. You should be able to find the requirements for it over on Flagship Eclipse.

As far as I'm aware, there are two vendors who make the armor-- though there may be others by now. I know the price of one vendor, but the other I haven't asked. I actually got my mask from someone else in England, and they were kind enough to bring it to me at Celebration VI so I didn't have to pay shipping.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi[/center]

Offline Aysel

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
As far as I know (I'm the former Flagship Eclipse detachment leader) there are still only 2 vendors for the sith armor. There are a few options for sithy costumes that are excepted by the 501st, all of which we can help you with. The best way to start out is find the costume you really want to do, Revan?, gather the pieces you need for it, and then in the mean time, join us at different troops as a spotter. Spotting is a very important job for those of us that can't see well while in costume. And it's a good way to get to know all of us ^_^

Offline Krell

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
Thanks for all the information. I took a look at the Flagship Eclipse website but could not find any photos or information listed as to the requirements for the Sith Acolyte costume. At this point, I plan on speaking to a seamstress friend about the Robes/Undergarments for Darth Revan. I will need to either find GOOD instructions on how to create the armor pieces ( as I have no experience with crafting ) or find a place to order the items. I see mention of a couple of vendors who make armor pieces but I don't know who they are. Anyone have a website link for that?

I will continue to research the interwebs for more information, and I appreciate any tips. Also, I would be interested in "spotting" as it would give me a birds-eye view so to speak in how the events work and what they entail.

Thanks again for your time!

~ Krell ~
~ Jay ~

Darth Revan (WIP)
Future 501st Member
Cloud City Garrison

Offline Krell

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
Also, I see as a spotter I would need to pick up a CCG Tshirt, or 501st Tshirt...where would one find, view and order such a wonderful item?

~ Krell ~
~ Jay ~

Darth Revan (WIP)
Future 501st Member
Cloud City Garrison

Offline Aysel

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »
You don't need to, but a star warsy shirt or plain t-shirt is preferable as we've got spotter lanyards that will identify you as part of the group.

Offline Krell

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
A bit more research has yielded me this:

Is this still the accepted costume instructions for Darth Revan?

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=985

And is this an acceptable option for the "soft" costume pieces? When I looked it appears to meet the criteria.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/127348705/darth-revan-full-soft-parts-cape-costume?ref=shop_home_active

If I was able to get this crafted then I would be left mostly with the armor pieces. Does someone have a link for a crafter who might make these, or perhaps detailed instructions if I were to attempt it myself?

Thanks again for the assistance!

~ Krell ~
~ Jay ~

Darth Revan (WIP)
Future 501st Member
Cloud City Garrison

Offline Aysel

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »
Yes to the first, the second is actually not worn correctly in the picture and will need a little work (mostly easy fixes that I can see). As for the hard parts, Rob at My Wicked Armor is the only one I know about that makes the hard parts, he does good work, but he takes forever since he's a one man show. What you could so is keep you eye on the flagship forums for sale area, Revan armor comes up occasionally. Or if your adventurous, you could try your hand at pepakura, it's a method using paper as the base where you build 3D pieces.

Offline Krell

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 03:26:33 PM »
Excellent! I will work with my seamstress to start putting together the soft pieces based on the instructions on the forum. And I actually found 'My Wicked Armor' and "Liked" his Facebook page and sent him a message. Hopefully I will hear something from him in a reasonable amount of time.

Regarding those CCG Tshirts, and the 501st ones: Are they available for purchase somewhere? I may be interested in representing when I'm out and about. :)

I will keep my eye on the "spotter" page to see if I can make it to one of the events. Question: Do I just respond to the thread on the page, and then show up? Do I need to submit any information prior to that to pre-enroll in the Garrison? I understand I cannot complete the application until I have an accepted costume but I want to make sure I don't forget something.
~ Jay ~

Darth Revan (WIP)
Future 501st Member
Cloud City Garrison

Offline Aysel

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
Just respond to the thread, give your first name so we know who to look out for, and Missy will add you to the spotter roster for that event.

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Regarding those CCG Tshirts, and the 501st ones: Are they available for purchase somewhere? I may be interested in representing when I'm out and about. :)

We can't sell official 501st or Garrison items to non-members. Once you have an approved costume with the 501st or Rebel Legion you'll be able to purchase items from either group.

Tags: