Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2826 times)

Offline HalcyonOrdfell

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Greetings!
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »
Hey, everyone!

I just moved to Portland for a new job, and I've decided I finally want to build my own Stormtrooper armor and join the 501st. I've collected close-up photos from online - I want to build a Stormtrooper armor set closely resembling the original Star Wars films troopers (with some modifications, like more comfortable knee joints :) ).

I've found and read through http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/stormtrooper/index.html and http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/.
It seems like I have two options for beginning: either create a body cast of myself, or buy a mannequin with dimensions as close to mine as possible.

I wanted to ask -- does anyone have good ideas for where I can find a cheap mannequin?

Offline Wingnut7901

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
Hello!

I also recently decided to begin my journey to the dark side  :twisted:  I have found everyone here to be extremely helpful.  I do not however have any leads on a cheap mannequin. Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to help out.  Good luck!

"No Shields, All Guts"

Boots: En Route
Gloves: Researching
Flight Suit: Researching
Comm Pad: En Route
Hat: Researching
Belt: Researching
Armor: Researching
Helmet: Researching
Chest box: Researching

Offline Mosi

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
Greetings! I'm not sure where you can snag a mannequin, but you can make your own duct tape one that is correct to your body. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek-XqWTnUMI 

Also, if you want to modify armor, be extremely careful since the suit has to meet the CRLs located here http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

pew pew

Offline HalcyonOrdfell

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »
 :o !!!

Mosi, thank you! That's fantastic.
Also extremely creative and ridiculously simple. You probably just saved me ~$200 to get started. Much appreciation!

I'll make sure to read of the CLRs before I actually mold anything.
Today is an exciting day!

Offline Mosi

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »

Also extremely creative and ridiculously simple. You probably just saved me ~$200 to get started. Much appreciation!

We do very much encourage creativity and DIY projects around here, but you may want to reconsider moulding your own TK armor since it's very time intensive and can get rather expensive for all of the materials. You can pick up an untrimmed TK kit for around $400 and call it a day.
pew pew

Offline Luananeko

• Kashyyyk Base Reserve
  • The "Avatar Lady"...
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »

We do very much encourage creativity and DIY projects around here, but you may want to reconsider moulding your own TK armor since it's very time intensive and can get rather expensive for all of the materials. You can pick up an untrimmed TK kit for around $400 and call it a day.

I'll second this... My husband Ron and I are working on 3D modeling our own TK kit for vacuforming, and the FISD boards are SUPER detail oriented. Even the slightest mistake/error is pounced on and anything less than perfection is typically not accepted. Building your own TK kit from scratch is a REALLY long and tough battle. It's far less stress, expensive, and headache inducing to take advantage of the armor makers that have already gone through the process and have their kits available for cheap.

Kim

--- Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and more! www.THGProps.com ---

Offline greedo

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
seriously recommend doing the duct tape route.  Most mannequins will make your stromtrooper look a little fem... plus looks like they're posing on the runway for a photoshoot. not good.

i did duct tape and all you need is this:

1.  2 rolls of duct tape
2.  an old pair of sweat pants
3.  an old sweatshirt
4...  and most importantly.... someone you trust to cut you out

F**K you Photobucket!

Tags: