Author Topic: Newbie near Eugene...  (Read 4209 times)

Offline fatlilryan

• First Name Michael
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Newbie near Eugene...
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
Hello All,

Please allow myself to introduce... my... self. (Sorry... couldn't resist!) I'm a nearing 40 y/o male living in Cottage Grove. Moved here from Portland 2.5 yrs ago. I've been a huge SW fan since I saw the original at a young and impressional age of five! My Dad took me, my brother (who is 11.5 months younger), and my older (female) cousin to a late showing. I can remember being mesmerized. My eyes never left the screen for a split second. Then the end credits came on and I turned to my left to say to the rest of my family... "Did you see tha-?!?!" And then saw all of them asleep in their seats. I was shocked that anyone could possibly sleep through something so awesome! At any rate, I am still crazy about Star Wars as I was then. It's the one thing that has never left me. The excitement. The fantasy. And the ever-consuming need to have my own set of trooper armor. Well, it's time to finally make that dream come true...

I have a Hasbro clone helmet that I am currently working on modding. I am looking at some armor on Ebay, as well as a DC-15 blaster/rifle. I am new to all the terms when it comes to molding and vaccuum forming. ABS, HIP, etc, etc. Wow, it's a lot to take in. So much out there, with prices and types all over the scale. So, here I am on the forum looking for some advice and tips from the wise and experienced!

A few questions...

1. What is the difference between ABS, HIP, Resin, and Fiberglass - and what are the pros/cons?

2. Is there anyone in the group that produces armor (storm and/or clone), and/or weapons? Wonder if I would be better off purchasing from someone within the group?

3. How can I tell if what I'm finding on Ebay is legit, of good quality, and worth it?

I'm sure I will have many more questions as I go through this process. I've been told that a clone is a tough build. I only chose it cuz I already had the helmet. I have some metal fabrication experience, so I don't think it will be that difficult for me. I did notice that there are occassional build parties. I would love the opportunity to join in one of those. My hope is to get my suit done in time to try it out for Halloween this year. I'm excited about getting 501st approved and doing some trooping! I am scouring the forums to glean as much info as I can. If my questions have already been asked/answered, I appologise. I tried finding the info by doing searches, but didn't come up with much. I recall seeing a glossary online somewhere with terms and accronyms, but could not locate it again. Any links or bookmark suggestions would be great!

Look forward to meeting you all!

Ryan

P.S. - Also, don't hesitate to email me directly if you feel so inclined.   :afro:
Ryan
"Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it." - Darth Bane

Offline Aysel

Re: Newbie near Eugene...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:14:43 PM »
first of all, Welcome! and you've come to the right place to live out your dream of being in armor. second of all, your questions are pretty much the same questions that everyone has when they are fist starting out. Our membership officer will probably be sending you a PM shortly about your specific armor questions.

Offline fatlilryan

• First Name Michael
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
I finally stumbled upon the 4-sale section... not sure why I was so blind to it from the get-go...??
Anyway, I am still finding more good info. I have seen some used armor, but I think I would be better getting a fresh set and trimming it to myself rather than relying on someone else's fittings.
Once I'm done with the clone, I will be looking to get a full stormtrooper done.
Ryan
"Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it." - Darth Bane

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »
Welcome Ryan, I am glad you are on the forums. There are many folks here who know where to point you for Clone info. Our Membership Officer will also contact you.  Make sure you check the public announcments to see where we will be at an Event.  We have many events that are coming up. Looking forward to your progress.
Allan Quick

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
Welcome,

I am on all of the boards that you probably have been checking out, so I can keep an eye if anyone has something legit for sale.  You are most likely going to get a better deal on one of the forums than evilbay, to many people find deals and then spend more money to bring the quality up to standards than if they would have bought outright from one of our typical venders.

I can send you direct links to recognized venders, just send me a message and we can chat back and forth.

Offline Luananeko

• Kashyyyk Base Reserve
  • The "Avatar Lady"...
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:32:07 AM »
Welcome to the forums! I'm pretty new here too, but everyone I've met so far both on the boards and at the events are pretty friendly and more than willing to help however they can. I'm sure you'll love it :)

Kim

--- Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and more! www.THGProps.com ---

Offline Carlos

• Cloud City Reserve
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:53:59 AM »
Hi Ryan, welcome to CCG boards.
By your Command.

Offline fatlilryan

• First Name Michael
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »
Welcome,

I am on all of the boards that you probably have been checking out, so I can keep an eye if anyone has something legit for sale.  You are most likely going to get a better deal on one of the forums than evilbay, to many people find deals and then spend more money to bring the quality up to standards than if they would have bought outright from one of our typical venders.

I can send you direct links to recognized venders, just send me a message and we can chat back and forth.

Sent an email. Thanks!
Ryan

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
  • Awards Trooped 25+ times
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
WELCOME RYAN from KASHYYYK BASE REBEL LEGION  :D...............Old Tony Kenobi
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
Ryan, Great meeting you at Picnic. we are glad you came up to join us. best to you.

Allan Quick

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »
Ryan, Great meeting you at Picnic. we are glad you came up to join us. best to you.

well said...

Offline fatlilryan

• First Name Michael
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 12:45:48 AM »
I had a great time! Only wish I had a chance to meet and chat with everyone who was there. I was fortunate enough to connect with a few folks who will be great go-to people when I have questions or concerns about my build. I've been working on my Hasbro clone mod the last couple days. I'm noticing more and more differences/variations with this compared to the film references. Seems to me the Hasbro voice-changer is closer to the Animated style clone. I'm still going forth with the mod just for fun and experience. Armor is still in transit and hope to have it by the end of the week (if not sooner). And I did purchase a fiberglass Clone bucket, which should be movie accurate. So, I'm well on my way to achieving my goal... and a lot of sanding, priming, sanding, and priming... and eventually a finished product! I look forward to meeting more of you and getting to know everyone in the weeks and months ahead.

Ryan
Ryan

Offline Aysel

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 09:00:33 AM »
welcome to the wonderful world of armor :mrgreen: I saw you at the picnic but didn't get a chance to say hi, so HI!

Offline fatlilryan

• First Name Michael
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
Well, I'm still waiting on my clone armor to arrive... and I also have a fiberglass clone bucket on the way.

In the meantime I've been working on my Hasbro Clone voice-changer helmet mod. The one downside of using this helmet is the type of plastic used to fabricate it. It has a shiny coating on the outside, is a soft plastic, and doesn't want to adhere to much of anything. You have to sand/grind/cut into it in order to get the bondo and most glues to hold. needless to say, I've been spending most of my time sanding the darn thing. Thank god I've got a dremel, which cuts down a lot of handwork! I've got the helmet completely broken down, so I'm working on it piece by piece. I've also done a lot of reading on others who have modded their Hasbro lid. I'm guessing my project will go somewhat the same way as others... seems that once you've got all the bondo added to the lid it becomes too heavy to comfortably troop in. So, I will most likely look to get a mold of the helmet made and probably opt for a slush resin process to make a version to troop in.
Ryan

Tags: