Author Topic: The New Guy  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Traskk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
The New Guy
« on: November 18, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
Hi, I've been looking at the 501st for a while now, and decided that I wanted to try my hand at making myself a costume and I figured the best way to go about this was to get in touch with my local garrison. I'm also playing with the idea of stitching together some robes and applying with the 'other guys'.

The job I have right now has me traveling a lot, but I thought that working on a helmet might be a good starting project that I can pack along with me. If anyone knows where to find a relatively cheap ABS one, it'd be greatly appreciated.

A little about myself, I'm Jeremy, I live in Lake Oswego and work in Hillsborro. I have a background in electronics and love building things. Umm... big star wars nerd...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:10:52 PM by Traskk »

Offline Jabbasdead

Re: The New Guy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:43 PM »
Welcome to the boards, we have members in the area where you work.

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:03:43 AM »
Hi, I've been looking at the 501st for a while now, and decided that I wanted to try my hand at making myself a costume and I figured the best way to go about this was to get in touch with my local garrison. I'm also playing with the idea of stitching together some robes and applying with the 'other guys'.

The job I have right now has me traveling a lot, but I thought that working on a helmet might be a good starting project that I can pack along with me. If anyone knows where to find a relatively cheap ABS one, it'd be greatly appreciated.

A little about myself, I'm Jeremy, I live in Lake Oswego and work in Hillsborro. I have a background in electronics and love building things. Umm... big star wars nerd...

Welcome good Sir!  Define "relatively cheap"  :mrgreen:

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:57:57 AM »
hello and welcome!
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline Traskk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome good Sir!  Define "relatively cheap"  :mrgreen:

Best case scenario, I'd like to shoot for the $50 range. Something that will give me a good solid base to work with, but without most of the detail work already done (where's the fun in that).

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
even on sale it will be hard to buy just the fabric needed to make a "good" jedi robe that will allow you to troop for $50, not saying impossible but when you add Boots, sabre and such...your going to be well over the $50 range. As for 501st costumes, maybe a Jawa can be made for $50.

Offline Traskk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
Ah, sorry, should have been a little more clear. I meant I'd like to find a helmet in the $50 range.

Although, I do think that I could sew up robes for around $50, if I can find a good sale, and I probably actually have everything in my garage that I need to make my lightsaber.

I'm surprisingly good with needle and thread. I've sewn complete pirate costumes for both my wife and I in the past.

Offline Mosi

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »
Unless I missed it, what kind of helmet kit are you looking to buy for $50? Most reputable armor makers range anywhere from $75-150, just for a TK lid kit. Unfortunately, this isn't a cheap hobby and most of our costumes are in the 1k range (or more) from head to toe.
pew pew

Offline Traskk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:00:01 PM »
I was planning on a Standard TK Helmet as a start. I figured that $50 was a pretty lowball number, but hey, a guy can hope.

I figured that this wouldn't be a cheap hobby. For some reason, mine never are. If I follow through with the full suit, it's not going to be done anytime soon.

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
Welcome to Cloud City Garrison.

The TK Helmet is the Crown for the Stormtrooper and finding one at 50. can be difficult to aquire. Most TK helmets run for around 100. or more depending on quality. if you are lucky to find a CE stormtrooper helmet on E Bay that would be the type to go for if you were able to get it between 50 and 100. A really good Stormtrooper would cost 175. or more. I am glad you are asking questions and hope they help.

Allan
CO
Allan Quick

Offline furiousstylz

• Cloud City Retired
  • The maple kind yeah.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
A little about myself, I'm INSERT NAME HERE, I live in CITY NAME and work in CITY NAME. I have a background in electronics and love building things. Umm... big star wars nerd...

Lets' see, I'd guess that statement covers 85% of us?   :wink:

Welcome. And I know what you're going through. I just got my official TK number last week, and had to find answers to all the questions you are asking. Just take it slow, enjoy the process, and feel free to ask questions. I think I was pressed for time, and caused stress for myself. My next costume will be much more enjoyable putting together.
JOHNNY SERVIN
  T  K  8  8  9  7

How do you make God laugh?
      Make a plan.

Offline Traskk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
I am glad you are asking questions and hope they help.

When in doubt, ask the experts.

Since I'm planning on adding fun little things like fans and a microphone, I'll probably want something fairly sturdy and high quality. I'll just have to convince my wife that this is a good plan.

Lets' see, I'd guess that statement covers 85% of us?   :wink:

Fair enough, Uh, lets see... Spent 7 years in the army, got out middle of last year. Married to a viscous little blond woman.

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »
bring your wife along to one of our troops!that way she can see in person just how much joy we bring and all the great people in the garrison! when looking for the extra like micro phones sound boards ect always check here first you never know what you may find!
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »
bring your wife along to one of our troops!that way she can see in person just how much joy we bring and all the great people in the garrison! when looking for the extra like micro phones sound boards ect always check here first you never know what you may find!

Or completely leave her out of your little secret "obsession" and SLOWLY introduce her to the Star Wars stuff a little bit at a time.  Use the term "oh that old thing" or "I've had that forever" when she points to a new Star Wars prop or piece that you picked up.  Some significant others are shocked to how deep this Star Wars love goes!  :wink:

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 12:39:45 PM »
sometimes it is easier to ask here before asking on some of the detachment boards, your local boards tend to be easier on the "shinys" then the specialty boards.  BTW have you checked out any of the other boards?  If you were doing a Imperial Scout I would invite you to my boards

Tags: