Author Topic: Hello I'm New  (Read 3683 times)

Offline TallyHawk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Hello I'm New
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
Hi I was thinking about getting together a TFU Shadow Guard suit for ComiCon, but since I have never done any thing like this I was hoping My locale members of the 501st could lend me a hand and tell me how to get started.

Offline Jabbasdead

Re: Hello I'm New
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »
You don't see to many of those in the 501st, have you to the guard website: www.forcepike.net. I have a Royal Guard that I need to finish.

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
  • Awards Trooped 25+ times
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »
NAH. We cant stand ANY new members or costumes! JOKING! TALLEYHAWK you have no idea what you are about to embark on. All you have to do is ask, and you will get a TON of help. And you will find an extended family, which is the core of what the 501st/RL is. You can even join an event to help out before you get an approved costume/character approved. On behalf of the
KASHYYYK BASE REBEL LEGION, we welcome you 8)................old tony kenobi
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:15:01 PM by OldTonyKenobi »
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
You ought to come out and help at this event next Saturday http://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?topic=4669.msg57501#new. See how things go and help a good cause.

Offline john.wilnau

• Cloud City Member
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
Welcome TallyHawk!

I am a new member also, you would find a huge helping hand from the CCG/RL.

Again, welcome and happy trooping!

John
-John<br />\"Stop that ship!! Blast\'em!\"
TK4163

Offline TallyHawk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind words every one. After looking through the Post one ForcePike it seems that the armor for the Shadow Guard is mostly unique. so can any one tell me how I making or preferably commissioning such gear?

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »
I might be able to help you, I'll get some info for you tomorrow. I have a sick kid tonight.

Offline TallyHawk

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »
Thanks any and all  help is appreciated. 

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 01:18:49 AM »
Welcome welcome... I wanted to do this costume for awhile and decided it was way harder than a Jedi (hint hint), so I''ll be watching your career with great interest. :D

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »
looks like the chest, shoulders and forearms are all parts you could find in a TK kit. the shoulders are just cut down. the ab plate, shin guards and boots will be a custom pieces, but the designers were nice and used lots of straight lines so those would be rather easy to fabricate. Of course the helmet you should be able to find as a regular royal guard, just paint it black :)

There is a type of plastic you can heat in boiling water and shape as it cools. Cannot recall the name of it at the moment, but it would be the material to use for the shins and boots.

I thought these guys were totally bad in TFU glad to hear someone is making one. On a side note, don't expect to move your neck at all while in that helmet :(

Welcome and good luck!
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »

Sintra is the plastic that you can use if you are going the boiling water route.  Depending on your noggin size a regular Don Post helmet may not work, you'll just have to try one on to see.

Offline Aysel

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 09:41:03 AM »
also called PVC foam board, Sintra is the brand name, awesome stuff very easy to use and if you make a mistake in the forming you can just reheat it and try again.

and welcome! good luck with the shadow guard, I'd really like to see one done

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
Hey Tally...

I actually worked on this costume for the TFU release. While I never did finish it completely, I did work with the DXO over at Forcepike to iron some of the costumign bits down.

If this is something you are wanting to do, I can help you. We were able to figure what all the components were and what mods would need to be done to existing armor pieces. In a nutshell, this is a mix of storm trooper, Royal Guard and Jango Fett parts. Along with some custom pieces, including a unique ab plate, which I do have molds for.

I had a set of TK bells that I altered for this costume. I also have a tk chest plate that has been masked off with tape to reflect some of the subtle differences in the armor. I have pics up on my photobucket account. I'll shoot them to you, if you want.

As far as sintra is concerned, when Rick and I were doing to test runs on forming the ab plates, we found that sintra doesn't well for the ab plate. The detail is lost, when using sintra, and it doesn't look very good. ABS was used and it looked 10x better! Besides, some of the other costuming parts that one would be pulling from are usually ABS, anyway. Best to keep them as consistent, as possible.

Of course, sintra would work well for the back plate, gauntlets and the leg armor. Just something to consider.

Let me know if I can help you out, any.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Tags: