Author Topic: That's no moon...it's a new member!  (Read 7820 times)

Ambad

That's no moon...it's a new member!
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:10:34 PM »
Hello, all. My name is Kyle Smith, and I have joined this forum having been referred here by one of it's members, Bill, whom I happened to meet at the Oregon City Fred Meyers. He commented me on my Mark Ecko Boba Fett Jacket, and the conversation went from there. I had been interested in costuming for some time, but had neither the money to buy pre-made armor, nor the confidence to make my own. I suppose part of the reason was that I am overweight, and at 5'4" and 330 lbs don't fit the proper image of fitness for most costumes. Well, after a talk with Bill, I've decided to look into perhaps making my own costume.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet for a costume, although I believe that I have the handy-skills required to make one, provided it's not overwhelmingly complex.

My current ideas for a costume are torn somewhere between Star wars Canon and the Steampunk Star Wars trend which is growing in popularity. I'm leaning towards Imperial, although making some sort of Steampunk Boba Fett or Dengar might also be fun.

I also have a large, seperate two car garage full of currently unused hand and power tools, and some old broken machinery which could be scrapped for interesting parts and would be more than willing to help anybody out with any of their projects, if they need it.

Offline Lufta Shif

Re: That's no moon...it's a new member!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
Welcome!  Dengar the Imperial assassin would be awesome! 

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
hello and welcome!
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline Carlos

• Cloud City Reserve
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »
 Kyle, Welcome to the forum.

By your Command.

Ambad

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
Welcome!  Dengar the Imperial assassin would be awesome! 

I agree that Dengar might work well for me, at least for my first costuming attempt. His armor isn't terribly complex, and it's something that would also be rather easily Steampunkified if I decided to go that direction...

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »
Welcome, and as a fan of steampunk I would have to say "Scout", never have to many Scouts  :D.

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »
Welcome. I don't know how steampunk would fit in the Garrison. I am sure that would be great for Comic book shows or comic cons.  For straight forward events this would be a great for a Dengar Bounty hunter , I hope you may consider due to your size.  Or even a Tusken Raider.  Good luck. Ask many questions.. We are here to help in any way.

Peace, Allan
Allan Quick

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
  • Awards Trooped 25+ times
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »
Welcome Kyle :D. In my opinion the Garrison could use a Dengar. We have a friend from Wash who does that, but rarely see him. And I get tired of cutting down all these "treehuggers" and "backshooters" :lol:. Look forward to meeting you............old tony kenobi
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:04:16 PM by OldTonyKenobi »
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Ambad

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
Welcome, and as a fan of steampunk I would have to say "Scout", never have to many Scouts  :D.

*Awesome Steampunk Biker Scout*
While I'd love the irony of being a tremendously fat biker scout, I'm sure I'd get dinged for realism...

At least the Dengar idea is conceptually feasible, considering he's one of the few human characters who looked like they weighed over 200 lbs without their armor...

If I ever get the money, though, I'd make a Jabba costume...Some sort of flexible rubber lined with foam supported on a series of small poly-vinyl wheeled platforms (which would be concealed beneath it by an overhang of the rubber material) hooked together with u-joints (so that it could turn corners and go over small hills).

Either that, or I'll defect to the Rebel Legion and be Porkins!

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 08:15:36 PM »
HEY! Who said everyone in the Star Wars universe is supposed to be Ray Park fit :lol:? I have more muscle in my one big AB than most of these turkeys with their "6 packs" :roll:. I prefer to portray the "old ben kenobi that is in need of some more adventure instead of hanging around in that tavern on Tattoine way too much before he went on a desert hermit diet" :P!!!! ........old fatty kenobi :wink:

Ambad

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 08:51:20 PM »
HEY! Who said everyone in the Star Wars universe is supposed to be Ray Park fit :lol:? I have more muscle in my one big AB than most of these turkeys with their "6 packs" :roll:. I prefer to portray the "old ben kenobi that is in need of some more adventure instead of hanging around in that tavern on Tattoine way too much before he went on a desert hermit diet" :P!!!! ........old fatty kenobi :wink:
I'm not saying my size limits me to making and wearing one costume or another, just that canonically I don't think the Empire would accept a Storm Trooper in my size...An officer maybe, but I'm sure that white plastic is in short enough supply in that galaxy far far away thanks to the copious amounts of regular sized Clones and Storm Troopers, and that it was stamped into armor with a "one size fits ideal candidates" approach...I'm sure there were ends to that spectrum, with Troopers ranging from twiggy to tree-trunk in size, but I just don't see myself as a Storm Trooper.

If I were to pick a position within the Imperial Military, I'd probably go with AT-ST Driver, Death Star Trooper/Gunner, Or Shield Bunker Trooper/Technician

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
BTW: I love the title of your post!  :mrgreen:

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 09:06:39 PM »
Well if thats the case, I understand. I REALLY wanna do the "Commander Cody" armor, but it i dont think I could do "custom beer-belly" armor and make it look good :cry:. So here I come "biggie" Dooku :roll:.............old tony kenobi

Ambad

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »
BTW: I love the title of your post!  :mrgreen:
You'll find I'm full of surprises...

A bit too far?

Well if thats the case, I understand. I REALLY wanna do the "Commander Cody" armor, but it i dont think I could do "custom beer-belly" armor and make it look good :cry:. So here I come "biggie" Dooku :roll:.............old tony kenobi
I could see a somewhat bloated Dooku... He seems the type to let himself go a little if he's got a war/political campaign to run... Just don't become Darth Taft  :wink:

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:04 AM »
While I'd love the irony of being a tremendously fat biker scout, I'm sure I'd get dinged for realism...

Not here you won't! (That is something you would find in the Japanese Garrison, not here in Cloud City) And if someone says something, well, they shouldreally keep quite. This group is about accepting people of diversity to celebrate the love and fandom of Star Wars, and to do some good within the community. If people aren't here to support that, then they are here for the wrong reasons.

With that said, welcome! I'm glad you decided to check us out, man. I look forward to hanging out with you again. I may even make use of your garage and tools, sometime!  :wink:

Take care!

- Bill
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:34:38 AM by tavrikgannon »
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Tags: