Author Topic: Garrison Picnic  (Read 20609 times)

Offline Jabbasdead

Garrison Picnic
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »
So I was scrolling the boards at my old Garrison and they are planning their annual picnic and I was wondering if Cloud City did anything like that.  Basically, out of armor with the families and all. Since I don't like driving 530 to go to the Golden Gate Garrison picnic I was wondering if there are any plans for a CCG get together.

Offline Daverian

Re: Garrison Picnic
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:08:25 AM »
Kyle?

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »
We had one last year, that Ara had helped me set up at last minute (since I was having a hard time finding a venue that was open). Most public parks are reserved by now. But you may be able to find something in the way of a venue, if you jump on it now. Not discounting the possibility, but it is kind of late in the game, based on my own experience from trying to set this up last year.

-Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
Kyle?

Yes, Dave?

Oh, I see - you want me to field the question! :P

The short answer to Ralph's question is "no, we don't have anything planned."  We did have a big picnic a couple of years ago (back before I was even a 501st member). While I'd love to have more events organized like this for the garrison, I just don't have the time to do the work myself. I think the biggest hurdle is to choose a time and place at least a month in advance... that way if donations are needed to secure the park, they can be requested. ;)

-Kyle

"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
Also trying to find a weekend that there is not a Troop happening.. .Though it would be fun.. planning is everything.
Allan Quick

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:20:01 PM »
Listen, I am unemployed and at home with no car, a 4 yr old,an 8 yr old going on 16.  If I do a little web surfing and find a few places in the Portland area to suggest a few dates to Poll, would you be interested?

Portland charges to use City parks, crap I thought California was greedy.

Saturday will be my first trip to the Portland area to play in the golf event so I hope to get a better understanding of the area.

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
Well, there are plenty of places close to portland that may or may not charge for a get together.

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 08:50:05 AM »
Council Crest Park was where we had it last year. Highest point of the city... you can see all of the surrounding valleys! The best part was that it didn't cost anything in the way of a park fee. Michael and I threw a football around quite a bit. There were quite a few folks who showed up for that little get-together. I am sure it would have been bigger had I planned it better, not nearly as big as the one down at Willamette Park, but it was a nice turnout, all the same.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 09:27:54 AM »
I looked on Calender for August and I saw 2 events listed for 8/23 and 8/29 unless it has not been updated with all future projects.

Offline ceric

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Council Crest Park was ok. Willamette Park Garrison picnic was awesome, would like to see us have another picnic this summer. Sounds like there's an interest, but the When's, where's, and how's need to be planned. Put out the invite to all of the groups (CCG, KB, Kamino Squad, Mando Mercs, Oregon FanForce, heck invite Titan and Alpha since they've trooped here also) once everything is nailed down, put out the price and have people chip in. If it's a free place, all the better. August has some open weekends, Sundays are ok. Not too late to plan a picnic. B.Y.O. Food and gear. Let's see if we can make it happen  8)

-Eric

Offline Zolotkey

• Cloud City Retired
  • Twitter anyone?
    • Imperial Base
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »
There is a free park in south vancouver on the waterfront that is free just you need to show up early to get it. ;) :roll: it has a covered area. It has a big grass area and baseball field. ;) Not even a fee to park. Super Free! :P

http://www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/parks-recreation/parks_trails/parks/central_vancouver/marine.htm

Its super easy to get to for PDX folks. Just take I-5 to SR-14 take first exit then turn left at the stoplight and follow the road to you hit the park. ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:08:35 AM by Zolotkey »
Nick Z
ID/TK-2516 Retired
Sr QA Engineer

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »
Thanks for stepping up and not making Kyle do all the work.  This is the kind of thing that members can do for each other.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:42:27 AM by FireStorm »
FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »
I have a Birthday Weekend in August  :wink:. LOL.. Anyway.. get your idea's out there.
Allan Quick

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
This all sounds good to me, maybe if someone lives close enough to one of the parks suggested they can get there in the morning to reserve.  I know  nobody is going to want to drive down to Bend, so I think our best bet is Portland area, as long as its not the 29th of August because I need to take my wife out that day.

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »
so do we want to start a poll for a couple of dates to choose from and then decide on a location.  Get the date out of the way so people with work issues have time to work them out.

Looking at the Calender we have 8/1, 8/2, 8/8, 8/9. 8/15, 8/16 and 8/22 open with no events. So what do you think run a poll? Get a date and then find a location?

Tags: