Author Topic: hello from Indiana  (Read 3317 times)

Offline My Only Fettish

• Cloud City Member
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
hello from Indiana
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:23:08 AM »
We were planning on leaving for the first leg of our  trip to Indiana on a Saturday.  At 6pm on the Friday night before, my Tahoe died.  It started again, then died again about 15 second later.  I had to get it towed.  Of course there was only one repair shop open in town) the Dodge dealership) on Saturday, but--get this--they couldn't get my truck to die again.  They drove it off and on all day and left it running for a few hours and it ran fine, so they said I should just go ahead and make the trip.  This did not reassure me.  Would you set off to drive across the country, towing a trailer, with a truck that died twice out of the blue?  Me neither--I don't care what those guys at that shop said.  My dad is a mechanic (he owns his own business in western Washington by you guys and has about every certification known to mechanic-kind), and after having me do some testing and listening to the symptoms I described, both he and his top tech at the shop said, "We're not betting men, but we'd lay money that it's your fuel pump."  They both said that Chevys always need this at 150,000 miles (which is how many miles are on my truck) and the symptoms fit perfectly.  So I bought a new fuel pump and had to insist that the guys at the shop put it in.  They weren't going to do it because they couldn't find out the problem.  Now I understand where they are coming from--they didn't want me to think they had fixed it when they couldn't prove what was actually wrong with it.  However, I trust Dad's advice and experience far more than some young punks at at Dodge dealership.  They did get the new pump installed and the truck has ran fine ever since.  My starting problem had even gone away, which makes me believe Dad's diagnosis even more. 

Anyway, the whole point of that story was that the trip started off frenzied and hectic.  Instead of a leisurely drive to Spokane and a day to get organized for the drive to Wyoming, we got to Spokane in time to go straight to bed so we could leave first thing in the morning.  The drive over here was miserable.  Because I was towing my trailer (no horse, thank goodness), my mileage was terrible--we had to stop for gas about every two hours.  We spent three days of 12-14 hours of straight driving.  The cats were NOT happy about that.  My father-in-law drove with me, which was...challenging.  (Apparently not as bad as Scott experienced with his mom in the car with him though, so I guess I shouldn't complain.)  The only thing that saved me was the fact that we had bought the new Harry Potter book on CD and listened to that for most of the drive. 

We are still unpacking a few boxes almost two weeks later, but overall we are moved in.  My biggest complaint at this point is the weather.  Apparently we are in the middle of a very unusual hot spell.  The humidity has been staying between 50 to 75%, and it has been been as cool as 70 degrees at night and as hot as the mid to high 90s during the day.  This morning at 7am it was 80 degrees out!  :shock:   (WTF??!!??!)  My horse is having a hard time too (and she can't come inside to the AC to cool off).  She is sweating all the time, even when she is standing in her stall in the evenings, let alone when she is out to pasture during the day.  I have been going out to hose her off with cold water to help her cool down, and it has helped perk her up a little.  I can't describe how much this weather SUCKS.  I can't even take a deep breath because it feels like I'm breathing water into my lungs because of the humidity.  Icky, icky, icky!!   :evil:

That's about all that's going on here.  I start teaching the week after next and right now I am trying to work on my Gree.  It is hard to do though because we have an apartment so I can't do it inside, but outside it is WAY too hot.  The humidity is making my paint slow to dry too.   :roll:   From what I hear though, this weather is highly unusual, so how much longer can it last...?  Grumble, grumble, grumble.   :x

And that's the update from the midwest, land of corn as far as the eye can see.   :?

Theresa
BH 2828

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: hello from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
Good to hear from you, Theresa! Don't let that weather get you down - just think that it was probably about the same temp/humidity on Kashyyyk during that final battle. :P

-Kyle
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline ClonenolC

• Cloud City Retired
  • my backpack's got jets... no, for real!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »
Good to hear from you, Theresa! Don't let that weather get you down - just think that it was probably about the same temp/humidity on Kashyyyk during that final battle. :P

-Kyle

:roll: NERD!!!!!  Glad your Tahoe didnt die on the trip there.  Hope the Gree is comin along nicely!!!
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 01:45:57 PM »
As much as I am sad that you left, I am at least happy you are there in one piece.  I hope you are going to be OK!!

Miss you Theresa!
FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline DoubleTap

• The officer formerly known as wsco911
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »
It good to hear that you are having a great time!!!  Does this mean you'll be back soon?   :mrgreen:
Jim TK 1747
Smell Rob's finger.

Offline My Only Fettish

• Cloud City Member
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 09:16:53 AM »
I wish I was coming back soon!   :|   Only two more years, only two more years, only two more years... 

I posted these on CT.N, but here are some pictures of my Gree progress for those of you who haven't seen them there:

The first two pictures are close-ups of the camo.  You can sort of see the highlights and lowlights I used for each of the three primary colors of the camo.  I am not happy with the camo shapes (what was I thinking?), but I think the colors came out close. 

Here is all of the armor I have painted so far.  I clear-coated it with a matte finish, yet still it's shiny.  (WTF?)  I think I will sand it a bit to get that shine off. 

Here is a pic of some of the finished pieces next to my reference pics so you can see how the colors compare. 

I am currently working on painting my helmet.  Like I said though, it is taking FOREVER for the paint to dry.  Something to do with the 61 percent humidity we have right now.   :roll:
Theresa
BH 2828

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:47:46 AM »
That looks great!!!sorry to hear about the horse and all the heat..hope things work ok....Take care...
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »
The armor looks great, Theresa. I'm glad to hear that you made it over there safely. Take care!

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline DoubleTap

• The officer formerly known as wsco911
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »
That is the best Gree paint job that I have seen!!! :shock:
Jim TK 1747
Smell Rob's finger.

Offline rtpaynter

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »
Indiana...got some family in New Albany...and I really miss you, Fett. Humidty that high is unusual. A special gift just for you.  :D Nice paint job, too.
Robin Paynter

Life's too short to be so sour...

Offline xrayman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Skullworx.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:40:21 PM »
Glad to hear that you made it OK.  I think there should be fireflies there sometime during the year - that's something to look forward to.  I remember seeing them on and off as a kid in that part of the country.

Armor looks great - don't worry about the camouflage paint job unless you're going to try to blend in with the corn there - then maybe you should reconsider the pattern.  :lol:

Miss you 'T' - keep in touch!
Scot
TK5108 (retired)

Tags: