Author Topic: HAPPY 30 YEARS OF STAR WARS !! where were you?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline rtpaynter

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
HAPPY 30 YEARS OF STAR WARS !! where were you?
« on: May 25, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »
HAPPY 30th STAR WARS - OPENING DAY MAY 25TH 1977 !!!!!!  WOW
I was 13, my mom let me play hooky from school and by 11am I was standing in line at the AMC Regal theater in Mission Valley San Diego with my grandfather. (I saw SW an additional 12 times at the same theater). And....Where were you???

And.........

http://www.omsi.edu/visit/featured/bodyworlds/visitor.cfm

BodyWorks 3 coming to OMSI June 7th tickets are $21

I know it's not Star Wars, but almost as cool.

MTFBWY  - Robin

(I had sent out the above to a the SW fans at work who said it was ok to share)

Scooter (Scott B) wrote:
I was a fiesty twelve years old and stood in line at the now defunct Southgate Cinema in
Milwaukie Oregon( off of 99E ). We didn't wait long - my Dad was a cop and he always
had a way of getting the best position in line...

Celena W wrote:
That's cool...I was 2 years old and probably running around with a snotty nose. :-)

George T wrote:
I was approaching the ripe old age of 2, and probably looking and/or begging for candy, or getting into some other kind of trouble at home with mom... 

Happy 30th SW Ms. Paynter!! 

So, hmmm...  you were 13 on opening day...  I guess that now makes you-- 33?  :wink:

:P :P

Robin Paynter

Life's too short to be so sour...

Offline xrayman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Skullworx.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: HAPPY 30 YEARS OF STAR WARS !! where were you?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 01:58:01 PM »
I was a 7 year old kid in Troy, Michigan and running down to fish in a nearby stream for bluegills or find garden snakes nearly every day.
My friends saw SW long before I did, and when I finally talked my folks into taking my brother and I, we ended up having to go to a drive in to see it (drive-ins were popular).  On the way home, I recall my dad saying it was 'really neat', but mom had little interest.  We only saw it once, but my brother and I played SW every chance we could that summer, me being Luke, and him being Vader, driving my folks crazy in the car on errands.  Mom finally gave in late that summer and got us Star Wars T-shirts.
Scot
TK5108 (retired)

Offline Pepito

• Cloud City Retired
  • His Royal Highness the Alien King
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »
I was -5 at the time....

I grew up in a motorhome and every christmas we would watch the Trilogy while opening presents and then it was the anual Lego Droid building contest... I've been hooked ever since.
Paul

Offline Ancient Fan

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:59:28 PM »
I was 26 at the time, saw it in San Jose in the Cinedome near Winchester mystery house. To this day, I still remember where I was in the theatre (mid-section, slightly to the right) and the hair standing up on the back of my neck when the Star Destroyer flew into view and kept getting bigger, and bigger, and the sound system was just awesome... The audience actually applauded and whistled at that point - we all knew we were in for something very different. My wife (at the time) thought the movie was "ok" (hey - she thought Monty Python and the Holy Grail was going to be about a snake on a crusade  :roll: ).

Phil
Phil / ID 7538

Imperial Doorman

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »
I turned 11 years old in August 1977 and My Mom took me to the Theater to see it.. It took that long to get to Medford Oregon.   I was hooked and saw it another 9 times that summer.. OHHHH the joy of Star Wars.. After the showing My friends and I would play outside the theater and play Star Wars.    I also remember they sold Movie programs and T shirts.    Oh the days of a ONE Screen movie theater.  Peace, Allan
Allan Quick

Tags: