Linked Events

• Dornbecher's Hospital visit: February 17, 2007

Author Topic: '07' Dornbecher's Children's Hospital Visit - Feb. 17th.  (Read 36879 times)

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: '07' Dornbecher's Children's Hospital Visit - Feb. 17th.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 04:05:52 PM »
Doernbecher is always a hard thing for me, regardless of what time of year it is. Some of you know, but I will explain it for everybody. Doernbecher is where my brother died of Leukemia. I almost four when he died, not very old by some people's standards, but I do remember him. His birthday is monday. He died Feb. 22, 1979, a month to the day after his 7th birthday.
Because Doernbecher is the core of CCG's events is the reason why I was so hesitant on joining in the first place. And even though it has been 28 years, everytime I go to his grave it is as if it was only yesterday. I simply can't handle seeing sicks kids. Especially up at that place and especially around this time of year. Like I said, it is filled with bad memories for me.
So now you understand why I never pipe up to volunteer to do the Doernbecher gigs - when we all know just how much of a costume geek I am (48 hours of Bill, anyone???). I guess that is all I have to say. Talk to you guys later.\

- Bill
(the best damned TIE PILOT period!)  :D
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
Bill, thanks for letting us know about this part of your life. I'm sorry that happened. Sounds like you've got good feelings about your brother.....

To be sure, attendance at a DCH event is not required of members. Some folks go, some don't. Nobody is keeping score. This applies to anyone else who's life has been affected by DCH. Noone will ask about personal happenings or 'reasons' either way.

Again, thanks for sharing a part of your life, Bill.

It's always a pleasure trooping with you, and they'll be many more opportunities this year! :lol:

Barry

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 06:53:24 PM »
We love you, Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 01:59:54 AM »
Awwww, shucks!  :)

I love me too! Especially when it is the 48 hours of ME!!!! hehe

Barry: Thanks for the kind words. And yes, he was an amazing brother. I miss him everyday, but at least I am thankful that he is not suffering. I can actually remember when he was sick and how he looked, and acted. It wasn't a pleasant experience.
To say that I hate DCH is to say that I hate the pain that is associated with the memories of that place. And while I catch myself blaming them for not being able to save my brother, I do have to admit that they did all they could with what they had. It was 1979, the average survival rate of a child with Leukemia wasn't as high as it is now. We've come a long way with medical breakthroughs. Of course I wish they were available back then, but it is what it is. Like I said, I have to try real hard not to have ill feelings toward DCH. Old pain that I can't seem to let go of, I suppose.... seeing a sick kid up there is like seeing my brother in that hospital room so long ago. Last year I was at Shriner's on the anniversary of when he died. It took all I had to not lose it up there. There was a kid that looked just like my brother (they were bald like I had remembered him from when he was there at DCH), I had to leave the room.
Maybe someday I will be able to go up there and not have it bother me. Who knows? All I know is that my brother is the sole reason I troop. Star Wars was the first and last movie we ever saw together before he died. It is that one tangible connection that I have that keeps his spirit alive with me. Most people don't relate or can't understand, but then again they weren't on that porch in late February of 1979 saying goodbye to him, either.

Anyway, thanks for the understanding. It is always a pleasure to troop with you folks, too!
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »
It's always a pleasure to troop with you Bill!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Roadkill_Hermes

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 03:17:57 PM »
Don't worry Bill I'll give kids twice the love form me and you!  :D

Offline xrayman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Skullworx.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 10:08:35 PM »
- Bill
(the best damned TIE PILOT period!)  :D

Huge salute to you, and a second on the notion, sir!
Scot
TK5108 (retired)

Offline doug8421

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
If you guys need another spotter I would love to help out. My Mauls not quite ready yet, but I would like to meet a few more troopers.

Offline Carlos Spicyweiner

• Ashtrooper and CCG Honorary Member
  • 501st Legion Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2007, 03:36:26 AM »
If roster is still open I'm going to try and make it down there for this one.   Sign me up as TB.
Randy
Disintegration devices thats my motto.

www.HanJobs.org

Offline Stomper

• Cloud City Retired
  • OLD IMPERIAL GOON
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »
I just received a large box of beanie babies in the mail today from Rob Johnson (in Seaside, OR) to hand out to kids during this troop!  ALthough I won't be able to troop this one, I'll bring them to the garrison meeting on the 10th so whoever is going can take them with them.

THANK YOU ROB!!  :D
Tony Krewson
TK/TD-4063
SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS
MOLON LABE

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 06:01:19 PM »
no prob guys :mrgreen:me and the wife thought those kids need them way more than we do!! :mrgreen:
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 07:41:23 PM »
Thanks Rob. I'll check with DCH to see if they have any rules on handouts.  I know that Lucasfilms sent them items, so I'm guessing it'll be fine. I know they appreciate us asking. We do need to be 'professional' about our business/appearances there - Wouldn't want to do anything against their rules. Sorry if it appears a little formal, but I'd rather be safe than sorry with those children. 8)

Barry
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:40:51 PM by guyactor »

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
No prob barry!!Thank you!!!if you can't use them there i am sure there will be a time and palce.
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »
No prob barry!!Thank you!!!if you can't use them there i am sure there will be a time and palce.

Rob if we can't use them maybe Nick can.  :mrgreen:

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
Ok, but NO. Nick already has too many toys! :shock: :wink:

Don't wave 'em off yet. My guess is they'll be ok......But, yeah. We can always use to throw out to the masses...

BA

Tags: