Author Topic: Area of concern  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Daverian

Area of concern
« on: January 02, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »
Hello,
I had my first trooping experience Saturday and Monday at OMSI. It was nothing short of magical!
I did however want to ask about tips and tricks to avoid unpleantries. There are always the pushes and tugs at costumes from the teenagers and even some littler kids...but I had a rather unexpected encounter with a Dad as most 501st had left already on Monday. He was walking with his wife and kids to leave and as I was coming down the hallway he took the  "I'm a tough guy" act to look impressive to his kids, and violently grabbed my blaster (which I wouldn't let go of) and shook it back and forth in my face causing me to back up rather quickly to avoid falling down. He shouted a few tough guy things and moved on. I was telling him to take it easy... (good thing he moved on).
Any tips to avoid this kind of thing?

-Daverian

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Area of concern
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:21:03 PM »
I would like you to tell me what he said!!  If it is not printable, PM me.

That is uncalled for at the minimum!!  That is why we beg people to be spotters.  Spotters are need 100% of the time and this is just such an occasion.  The job of the spotter, along with so many other duties is to run interference on all of those situations.  There is nothing you can do ultimately.  People are people and they do people things.  Being an A-hole just happens to fall into that. 

What I want to know is what provoked an account like this.  We do nothing that is violent or otherwise, so unless this guy was drunk, high, or just a general A-hole to the world there should never be a reason for this to even happen.  Kids grab all the time, and the spotters need to jump on that, as well you need to watch and put them in line.  Say something to them and their parents.  It is not our job to be on KinderCare hours.  So if people can't watch their kids then they need to stop breeding.  I had a kid thump my new Cody pack and I turned and made sure that his Guardian knew that I was not happy and they the child should be kept in control or eatten.

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Daverian

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:03:57 PM »
It happened so fast, I believe he was muttering something about wanting me to spank him? ..No just kidding...I don't remember. :P

abntroop

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 07:30:41 AM »
BUT STROKE TO THE HEAD! MOVE!  :mrgreen: I'da pistol whipped him  :lol:

Offline rtpaynter

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03:24 AM »
Daverian, I'm happy to hear you felt the magic at OMSI. Unless one troops, the feeling can never be explained.   :P :P :P About the blaster: bummer, it happened to me a lot.  I now either rest my hand on my blaster while it's in the holster, hold it in my hand, or snap the holster strap so it stays put  (I practiced a lot to be able to blindly snap/unsnap with my gloves on). And spotters, they are worth their weight in gold for all they do- especially "Vader's Bouncers" at the Starlight Parade.   :wink: :wink:
Robin Paynter

Life's too short to be so sour...

Roadkill_Hermes

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:27:05 PM »
Wait we can bounce people??!! That sounds like fun!! lol  :lol:

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 06:58:45 AM »
<.......spotters, they are worth their weight in gold for all they do - especially "Vader's Bouncers" at the Starlight Parade.   :wink: :wink:

Yep. I already posted my good luck story about that. Heck, I'd pay someone who knew what they were doing. It's that worth it. :!: Keeps me out of doo-doo.

Hope your outfit is ok, Daverian. Very unfortunate, but there isn't much to do when it comes on that suddenly. Sounds like you kept your 'cool'.

Tags: