Author Topic: Bad Feeling About This  (Read 679 times)

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Bad Feeling About This
« on: May 31, 2023, 01:42:41 PM »
Dear Star Wars Oregon

I'm frustrated as a Star Wars costumer, as all of my ideas regarding improving costuming events have been rejected by those in power without any chance to explain. So, here I go trying to save what I can of my rejected event idea: it would have happened in a perfectly normal hotel room, possibly with a backdrop that would change based on the environment. No one will need to modify weapons, and indeed bringing one's own precious weapons would be unnecessary, as I plan to make or acquire the weapons myself. There will be lightsabers and there will be infrared light or something like that for blasters. I got a little expansive describing the initial plan last night and would like to know if there's a chance that you would change your minds if there was no danger to the costumes whatsoever (the safety of costumes having been stated as my true intent over an expansive vision of LARP several times).

Sincerely,
Micah Aarre Read
Hopeful Luke Skywalker
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:58:13 PM by Sentinel »

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Bad Impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 01:50:03 PM »
I also wanted to do a movie-based workshop where we'd review Star Wars' evolution over time and think about our costumes. That got me in hot water too. Everything seems to get me in hot water these days... I really loathe being in hot water.

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Bad Impressions
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 01:57:09 PM »
I don't blame you for any of the miscommunication that occurred. But I really wanted to do something great for you early on... That didn't work out.

Offline CJ49er

Re: Bad Feeling About This
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 02:27:42 PM »
Dear Star Wars Oregon

I'm frustrated as a Star Wars costumer, as all of my ideas regarding improving costuming events have been rejected by those in power without any chance to explain. So, here I go trying to save what I can of my rejected event idea: it would have happened in a perfectly normal hotel room, possibly with a backdrop that would change based on the environment. No one will need to modify weapons, and indeed bringing one's own precious weapons would be unnecessary, as I plan to make or acquire the weapons myself. There will be lightsabers and there will be infrared light or something like that for blasters. I got a little expansive describing the initial plan last night and would like to know if there's a chance that you would change your minds if there was no danger to the costumes whatsoever (the safety of costumes having been stated as my true intent over an expansive vision of LARP several times).

Sincerely,
Micah Aarre Read
Hopeful Luke Skywalker

I would recommend getting approved in your costume and do the same costume events that we all do:  trooping for charities! .  Its what we all know and love to do, its the reason we are here.

Join our party first, then maybe toss out your new ideas.

Maybe some of our group will like your new ideas and will want to partake, maybe not. 
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 02:30:17 PM »
Agreed. I'm hoping to try again when people know I'm as serious about costuming and safety as I am about providing a quality experience.

Offline SWO Admin

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 03:01:06 PM »
Micah -

Your event request for costumed characters to participate in a LARP was rejected by the 501st Legion Event Coordinator, which is a higher level than us at the local level. Our members, while in the role of a 501st Legion/Rebel Legion member, do not LARP or re-enact combat in costume. We explained to you that those activities can possibly cause injury or damage to very expensive movie accurate costumes that our members make.

When you were told about this, you proceeded to bombard the Star Wars Oregon, Kashyyk Base, and Cloud City Garrison Facebook Messenger accounts with more requests and questions to the point where you were banned for a cooling down period. You were asked several times to stop with the constant messaging; you refused to do so, which is why you were blocked.

You asked if we would play a tabletop RPG game in costume. Also, not something we generally do. Before we could even respond to that request, you asked if we'd come over to your house to watch the movies with you so we could compare our movie accurate costumes with the costumes in the movies. Costuming standards have already been developed and no changes are made by us at the local level. Those standards are available at the Rebel Legion and 501st Legion websites.

If you are looking for social connections/friends, you will have to do that by other means - not spamming the Facebook accounts of the clubs. Those accounts are made to manage our members and events.

We understand you are currently in the costume approval process with the Rebel Legion and your judge is currently awaiting better photos. If you wish to become a member with either costuming group, you will need to exercise more patience in regard to communication. Both of our organizations are all volunteer run. Additionally, coming on to the forum and bad mouthing and misrepresenting facts about either of our groups prior to becoming a member does not look good for you and could affect your future membership in either club. In the future, please consider your responses more carefully prior to sending them.

Sincerely,

Michael Halstead                                                                                           Missy Thingelstad
Cloud City Garrison Commanding Officer (501st Legion)                                   Kashyyk Base Commanding Officer (Rebel Legion)

Vaughn Bechtol                                                                                             Heather McGee
Cloud City Garrison Executive Officer (501st Legion)                                         Kashyyk Base Executive Officer (Rebel Legion)

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 03:18:47 PM »
I'm sorry I contacted you.

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 03:20:12 PM »
Misunderstandings throughout, again. I gave you ideas. That was all.

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 03:21:52 PM »
And I never badmouthed any of you. I just made it clear that we could all be more patient.

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 03:29:38 PM »
I'm autistic, which makes it harder for me to understand how people will perceive things.

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 03:31:49 PM »
I'd really like to repair my relationship with Kashyyyk Base & Cloud City.

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 03:41:08 PM »
Micah -

Your event request for costumed characters to participate in a LARP was rejected by the 501st Legion Event Coordinator, which is a higher level than us at the local level. Our members, while in the role of a 501st Legion/Rebel Legion member, do not LARP or re-enact combat in costume. We explained to you that those activities can possibly cause injury or damage to very expensive movie accurate costumes that our members make.

When you were told about this, you proceeded to bombard the Star Wars Oregon, Kashyyk Base, and Cloud City Garrison Facebook Messenger accounts with more requests and questions to the point where you were banned for a cooling down period. You were asked several times to stop with the constant messaging; you refused to do so, which is why you were blocked.

You asked if we would play a tabletop RPG game in costume. Also, not something we generally do. Before we could even respond to that request, you asked if we'd come over to your house to watch the movies with you so we could compare our movie accurate costumes with the costumes in the movies. Costuming standards have already been developed and no changes are made by us at the local level. Those standards are available at the Rebel Legion and 501st Legion websites.

If you are looking for social connections/friends, you will have to do that by other means - not spamming the Facebook accounts of the clubs. Those accounts are made to manage our members and events.

We understand you are currently in the costume approval process with the Rebel Legion and your judge is currently awaiting better photos. If you wish to become a member with either costuming group, you will need to exercise more patience in regard to communication. Both of our organizations are all volunteer run. Additionally, coming on to the forum and bad mouthing and misrepresenting facts about either of our groups prior to becoming a member does not look good for you and could affect your future membership in either club. In the future, please consider your responses more carefully prior to sending them.

Sincerely,

Michael Halstead                                                                                           Missy Thingelstad
Cloud City Garrison Commanding Officer (501st Legion)                                   Kashyyk Base Commanding Officer (Rebel Legion)

Vaughn Bechtol                                                                                             Heather McGee
Cloud City Garrison Executive Officer (501st Legion)                                         Kashyyk Base Executive Officer (Rebel Legion)

I don't need friends. I would like somewhere to show off my awesome Star Wars costume, when I get it ready.

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Mandalorian
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
Or help others show off their costumes. That sounds better.

Tags: