Author Topic: Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser - a review  (Read 473 times)

Offline Vaughn

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser - a review
« on: September 22, 2022, 06:34:44 PM »

Wanted to take a few minutes and detail out our experience on the Galactic Starcruiser at Disney World. I’ll talk about the prep, planning, and a pretty broad review - as I don’t want to spoil the experience for anyone planning on going. If you want to know spoilers, hit me up in messaging.??

Preparation and Planning
Unless you have an abundance of expendable cash, you will need to save up for this experience. For two guests in one room, the cost is $4809. While this experience is amazing, it isn't worth going into serious debt over. We saved over 4 years (since it was announced) so we were able to afford this, on top of using miles to pay for our flights. Also any extra $$ you might need for souvenirs (we about bought out the entire Halcyon store...you won't have access to it online, so total FOMO). The Halcyon store has items exclusive only for your voyage - you can probably find the stuff on eBay but at a premium cost.

You'll want to plan your outfits. What you want to wear on the ship and down on Batuu. Remember, Batuu is freaking hot and humid; dress accordingly.

I prepped ahead of time by watching YouTubers go through the experience. I probably spoiled a lot of the plot lines by watching these videos but I wanted to make sure our hard earned money was going to be used wisely. By doing this though, I was able to recognize when certain things were happening and followed people in other plot lines into their secret meetings with characters. As for a back story, know what planet you are from and some sort of idea of who you are and what you do. If you say you're from Earth, punch yourself in the neck.

Costumes?
Alright - we are a bunch of costuming nerds, of course you want to wear a costume. It adds to your experience - it also helps immerse others as well. Do you have to? Nope - plenty of people on the ship were in normal "vacation" attire. A tip though, wear something that will differentiate you from others, so that the characters can recognize you. A certain accessory or look that is consistent throughout the two days you're on the ship will help. Full helmets aren't permitted (you can put them on to pose for photos but you can't walk around with them on). Some clothing items/makeup are permitted on the ship but not on Batuu - so make sure you research your look ahead of time. Your costume needs to be comfortable, there are stairs on the Halcyon.

Dinner & the Captain's Table
In the dining area, there is a center table known as the "Captain's Table". This dinner experience is an extra $50 per guest and you need to book it ahead of time. While we did enjoy this, it really isn't a necessity. It gives you seating in the middle of the dining room, an extra course or two, and little more interaction with characters. There's a performer on night #1 and the Captain's Table would have prime seating, although she really performs all over the room. On night #2, this is the "Taste Around the Galaxy" and quite a phenomenal experience. The Captain's Table is served first and there's a toast with the chef as well. This also included an extra two courses - it's so much food! However, everyone in the dining room is eating the same thing.

Food and Drinks
OMG - there is so much food! All you can eat, like on most cruise ships. The only things not included in your meals are alcoholic drinks. The food tastes great and has so much attention paid to presentation. There's all you can drink blue and green milk, if that is your jam. Snacks are constantly available in the Atrium. They are very conscious about food allergies, vegetarians, vegans, etc. - just make sure to talk to a crew member so that the dining staff has your preferences. If you're a picky eater - some of these items will force you to get outside of your comfort zone.

The adult drinks are very delicious. I don't think I found one that I disliked, there were some I liked more than others but all of them are good! The Sublight Lounge is a freaking awesome place to hangout - take the time to hang out in there and enjoy the drinks and company. Also, your bartenders might have some info...

Photo Session
Let me preface this with we paid the introductory cost of $99 for this experience. It is now $399 - which is an insane price jump. You get 30 minutes with a photographer and someone doing professional lighting. You need to have some sort of idea of where you want to take pictures at, so be sure you have explored the ship! While I do love the photos we got from this experience, I really don't know if I would pay $399. If you are going to get pictures, I would suggest around 2pm on Day #2, when most folks are doing their Batuu excursion and frees up a majority of the ship for pictures. Here is a link to some of photos we got from our experience:https://imgur.com/a/EOxHQ8w

Batuu Excursion
On Day #2, you can take excursions down to Batuu, where you will more than likely have missions to complete. These missions aren't like the ones you normally do on Batuu and will have an effect on story lines back on the Starcruiser. You are given one lightning lane for Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance - so be sure to use those! You also have credit to eat at Docking Bay 7 - but again... there's lunch on the ship! Don't waste your credits on the park food when you can enjoy the amenities on the Halcyon. Bring a phone charger!! The whole experience relies a lot on the Datapad, so make sure you stay charged up! You can take breaks throughout the day, head back to the Halcyon for a break (or another mission...) then back to Batuu to ride something or do some shopping.

Choose Your Own Adventure
We all remember these books that we had growing up - choose your own adventure. Feel like being a scoundrel? Smuggle away. Resistance supporter? Ignite the spark. First Order loyalist? Be as loyal as you want to be. Wanna be a spy for either side? Go for it. Feel like song writing and being a match maker...you can do that too. There are so many story lines to participate it, you will not be able to do it all. You need to choose and stay with your story line. If you're lucky, you might be able to do two story lines. There are many secret meetings that happen within those story lines. Your datapad will drive a majority of these stories - but not all of them. Talk with the characters; when I say characters, it's not just the main characters - the crew of the ship also have valuable knowledge. Also, if you aren't getting the missions/stories you want don't worry; a crew member can likely help get you on whatever track you want.

So, is it worth it?
For those #'s oriented, you are probably curious if this experience is worth the price tag...fiscally. Meaning, do the amenities, service, food, rooms, and overall experience add up to the price tag? Really, that answer is subjective. I went into this having spoiled a bit of the story lines and things about the experience because I wanted to know our hard earned money wasn't going to waste. Even after some things being spoiled, I absolutely think this is a worthwhile experience. The service from all crew members is amazing. The characters are wonderful to interact with. You are fully immersed into your own Star Wars story for two full days. You'll get as much out of this as you put in to this experience. You can literally make yourself a part of the story. In the finale, Sarah and I each got called out for helping the First Order (we made friends with the First Order very early). If you are introverted, it could be equally fun just to watch everything going on around you. There were times when we would just sit and drink in the Atrium and just watch crazy stuff happening all around and it was very entertaining.

I could go on and on about this - we absolutely loved our time on board the Halcyon. We fully intend on saving and head back in a few years. Perhaps...with more friends?!
ID/DZ/SL-46602

Offline CadBane3

Re: Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser - a review
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 06:38:55 AM »
Sounds amazing! I really enjoyed following your pictures on Facebook and am glad that you had a great time! Can't wait to hear more about it, in person!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline stevo502

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 06:41:42 AM »
This is great, thanks for sharing your experience and advice! Glad you two had a fun time  :D

Offline jj49

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 07:01:07 AM »
Awesome details. I also loved watching your trip via Facebook and pics. Looks like a great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TB-14944

Offline Fox

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 04:42:03 PM »
Are you able to hijack the entire game or do they have ways to keep everybody on track?

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 06:11:08 PM »
Are you able to hijack the entire game or do they have ways to keep everybody on track?

You can’t but the crew has the ability to put you on any track you want. Say you want to be on the Resistance track but you aren’t getting those missions, you can ask a crew member and they’ll magically get you on track.
ID/DZ/SL-46602

Tags: