Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 1038 times)

Offline BdoubleC

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Hello there!
« on: July 04, 2021, 02:10:47 PM »
Hi Star Wars Oregon! My name is Brian, and I am hoping to eventually join the 501st once I complete my ROTJ Biker Scout costume. I've met a handful of you during meetups and events, but have only just started commissioning components (soft parts) for the costume. A little about me: I'm a longtime Star Wars fanatic. I worked for Prop Store for a number of years and got to interact with a number of original props and costumes that we put up for auction, and got to meet and work with some of the team that worked on the original trilogy. My girlfriend and I moved up to Oregon in 2018 for a stint I did with Laika, and we have been hoping to put together screen accurate costumes for a while now.

I'm currently sourcing soft goods from Steph's Imperial Outfitters, and my friend from Laika supplied 3D printed EC-17 blaster components that I need to clean up and assemble. Hopefully it's 1:1 size and accurate, but I'll have a better idea when I am done assembling.

What I am most concerned about is armor as I want to get it right and not plunk down hundreds of dollars on an inaccurate kit. I am not sure if I want to commission armor from a reputable builder like RS Propmasters, or if I would be better off attending armor parties once they resume and having my hand held as I ask basic construction questions. If any Pathfinders have recommendations, I am all ears. I went through the Pathfinder forums and saw mention of a number of armorers in addition to RS Propmasters (Moncal and Striker) but I was unable to find links to the actual stores.

Any help would be super appreciated. I imagine the Forums have answered my questions have a billion times, but there are so many threads it's a bit hard to find the information I am looking for. Thanks! Hope you hear from you guys and gals!

Offline Nathanzx10r

• Cloud City Admin
  • GML
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 06:26:30 PM »
Did you look at the ultimate armor comparison post on the Pathfinders page? I currently run Altmanns helmet and Armor. His armor is upsized just a tad for us bigger guys though, but very accurate. I am 6'2" 240. I know the RS kit is very popular and accurate, but does come with a matching price tag associated with it. I know a lot of folks the SC armor kits and are happy with them.
Scout Trooper / RO-Tie Pilot / Tusken Raider

Offline Nathanzx10r

• Cloud City Admin
  • GML
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards

Offline BdoubleC

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 08:58:34 PM »
I had not come across that thread earlier. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll deep dive and see what I can find. Do you know if there is a handy place with links to the various stores? I tried basic searches on google but didn't find anything definitive. Cheers!

Offline BdoubleC

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 09:09:11 PM »
Nevermind, found the links and breakdowns I was hunting for.

I'll keep reading and see what other info I can dig up for myself. I of course welcome any pointers from local scouts!  :tk:

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 06:20:58 AM »
Hello and welcome! My scout armor and bucket are from Altmann and I'm super happy with them. Nearly 50 biker scout troops later and I've only had to repair the belt a few times. I'm hoping we can do a build party soon, since things are opening back up, so, stay tuned!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline BdoubleC

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »
I knew Altmann made a very accurate Scout helmet, didn't know they made a suit too, that's cool. Didn't see prices listed on their webpage so I might reach out to them to inquire more. Nice Cad Bane btw!

Offline Nathanzx10r

• Cloud City Admin
  • GML
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »
Your best bet is to get ahold of Spike (thats his username on pathfinder forum). That is Steve Altmann from Austrailia, he produces the helmets and Armor. I do know that he put his armor molds for sale, but unknown if he sold them. He said he was going to keep helmet molds, as they were offical molds that were used to sell offically licensed helmets. I'm sure if he still has the molds for the armor, he will still make you a set.

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 06:14:42 PM »
Welcome, Brian!

we have many talented people and BikerScouts, looks like you are getting some great advice from some of them already!

I am definitely looking forward to hosting some armor parties now that life is getting back to normal, so hopefully we can get you scouted up one way or another :)

SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »
I'm not a Biker Scout - just here to say Welcome and we look forward to having you on board soon!
ID/DZ/SL-46602

Offline BdoubleC

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »
Thanks guys!

Tags: