Author Topic: Blackthorpe's Wrecker Build  (Read 2174 times)

Disasterbate

Re: Blackthorpe's Wrecker Build
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 04:43:55 AM »
Fantastic work so far! Killer paintjob.

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »
Fantastic work so far! Killer paintjob.

Thank you! I am really happy with how it turned out, but I have a fear that it's too small and I will have to start all over again with a slightly bigger bucket.
Screaming Porgs CO, Old Rex, Jedi Knight
TI 87711

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 09:14:07 AM »
After far too long, I finally have some Wrecker progress! My knife arrived yesterday from Galactic Armory, and it is a beast!

2022-11-04_08-39-18 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Assembled it last night, and looking forward to filling in those print lines and making it look nice and deadly.

As for the armor, I'm still waiting on Walt... Apparently he has to redo the backpack because what he has takes too long to pull. Hopefully that doesn't take too long (although I think I have already lost the weather for painting...). Should be in the next batch or two to get done!
TI 87711

Offline Isabella20B

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 12:39:43 PM »
Looks awesome! The Bad Batch was a badass show, so cool that you're doing wrecker

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2022, 06:19:51 PM »
Last night I assembled the DC-17m, and that is a beast of a blaster! It's not 100% accurate to Wrecker's blaster, but it'll do. It is also huge! I can't get my hand all the way around the grip.

2021-06-07_07-29-14 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Bigger news is I just got in on a preorder with Walt's Trooper Factory for Wrecker's armor. He told me his loose timeline is about 6 months.

I think Marnie wants a blaster like that… hahaha

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 11:59:18 AM »
WTF armor arrives today!!! I'm so excited to finally get started on building the armor!
TI 87711

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 09:14:26 PM »
I forgot how much rough trimming hurts the fingers. (Don't judge me, I work a desk job.) Got a bunch trimmed, but still need to do the torso pieces and spats. Then on to sanding edges. It's good to finally be working on this kit!
TI 87711

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 08:11:55 PM »
I don't feel like I've made much progress, even though I have made some. Rough cutting is largely done, except for the spats. Broke two rotary tool discs trying to cut center bits out. My hands hurt from cutting through plastic with tiny lexan scissors. Got the knife sheath assembled, but it still needs to sanded, seems filled, and sanded again. There is still so much to do. I had planned to work mostly on the arm parts this weekend, but got frustrated sanding one of the bicep pieces. I wish I had space and the confidence to use my rotary tool for sanding. I so not like sanding.

2023-01-16_08-03-11 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
TI 87711

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2023, 11:09:32 AM »
Finally got some assembly done! But man, this kit is a pain in the butt. The sizing is all over the place (leg pieces fit great, arms pieces are huge, and the body is way too small).

Here's a test fit for the forearm. I'm going to need to build something to bulk up my arms or it'll look stupid.
2023-01-20_03-50-21 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

The next pics show a selection of pieces that are assembled (or partially assembled)

The thighs are looking good; just need to finish the return edges and hide the seams. Hand plates are assembled, but I have concerns about the sharpness (or lack thereof) in the raised squares. Spats will need an opening to get over my foot (crl says inside back corner). I'm pretty unhappy with Walt's sheath, but the one from Galactic Armory may be too big. The details on Walt's are pretty far off, and the greeblie he sent to go on it just has an empty space where the lights should go, with nothing to put in there, which means I'd have to figure something out.
20230129_185450 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
20230129_185406 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
2023-01-30_09-33-35 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

The shoulder bells are pretty easy: no assembly required. Upper arms are good to go, just need to finish the return edges and hide the seams. The forearms are giving me grief. The ridge was pulled as a separate piece for each forearm, and they don't align together at all. The curvature of the two pieces is not the same. I tried gluing one of them on last night and even with clamps it just kept sliding around and I ended up washing the glue off.
20230129_185928 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

And here is the saddest part: I just don't know if I can get the torso pieces to fit, even with a ton of spacing added. I haven't given up yet, and haven't worked on it too much, but I may need to get these pieces from another maker or figure out an alternative. I could probably trim down the chest and back to make a season 2 version, though.

I can see how the neck joins to the front and back pieces, but they don't all line up very well. It could be that they just need to be trimmed more to fit together better.
20230129_192104 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
20230129_191936 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
20230129_192009 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

I am... fairly large around my middle, and this torso piece seems to have been designed for a lanky teen. I may be able to cut it up and make it work, possibly just needing to build a new kidney plate.
20230129_192200 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

This kit has been super frustrating, but I'm not giving up.
TI 87711

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2023, 05:03:31 PM »
I have lots of extra plastic if you need some!
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2023, 05:10:01 PM »

I may take you up on that, thanks!

And might need a build party to figure those parts out...
TI 87711

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »
Lets do it! 

Its a bit cold in the shop these days, but we got some heaters!  Maybe after FanExpo we can find a good weekend.

I may take you up on that, thanks!

And might need a build party to figure those parts out...
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Blackthorpe

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2023, 09:14:43 AM »
I've been doing a little bit of work here and there. I have started filling seams on the arms and legs, and reinforced some areas where the bondo cracked. About the only thing I've gotten to a point worth sharing is the knife. This is a 3D print from Galactic Armory and I am really happy with how it turned out.

20230606_230058 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
20230606_230027 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
TI 87711

Tags: