Author Topic: Greedo10360's TB Build  (Read 8683 times)

Offline CadBane3

Greedo10360's TB Build
« on: November 05, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »
Hello everybody,

Starting a scout trooper and thought I would start a thread to help me through the process. I've ordered the armor and helmet from Altmann and the armor should be here in a few weeks and the helmet is probably a few months away (he's a busy guy). In the mean time, I've been picking up the soft parts (as permitted on the credit card)! :)

I have my gloves from Wampa Wear and ordered a balaclava. I was eyeballing this jump suit and was curious if anybody has any thoughts. I'll need to remove the epaulets and the patch thing, but I like that the neck likely doesn't need altering. Any input?

http://thumbs3.picclick.com/d/w1600/pict/152018276130_/New-Adult-SFI-32a-1-Certified-Single-Layer-Racing.jpg

Today, I purchased the suede that I'll need and I need to pick up the elastic strapping (easy enough to find).

Otherwise, I think I'll have the boots and cumberbund/pouches made but I want the flight suit first, so I can dial in the sizing.  Also, I need the flak vest and may learn to sew and make that myself, which my mom is excited about. :)

Anyway, let me know if anybody has any thoughts on the flight suit above. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:18:15 PM by Greedo10360 »
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

Re: Greedo10360's TB Build
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 10:45:08 PM »
Well, I went ahead and bought the flight suit above. I like the idea of not being flammable! Lol

I also ordered and received my suede. There's a company in Portland called Tandy Leathers, and it was pretty reasonable. Once the suit gets here, I'll get started on the mudflap and suede patches.

In the mean time, my armor and helmet should be shipped in a week or so, and I'm excited to get started on that.

More updates and perhaps some pictures (and probably lots of questions) in the next few weeks!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
Flight suit came today. Thank you ebay! The size/fit is pretty good and it isn't too hot. It's a bit heavy, but that's not a terrible thing. It's dry clean only, which I would have assumed once I add the suede to it anyway. Here is my test fitting.

Here is a closer image of the neck:

I liked this flight suit because it had the neck collar already completed and that's one less thing for me to learn how to sew. I'll need to remove the patch and the epaulets, but does anybody have any feedback? Look good?
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
That's a good fit. The cuffs should tuck nicely into your gloves and boots.

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
Looks good. Couple of suede add-ons and you're on your way to tree hugger status :)
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 11:32:23 PM »
Looks good. Couple of suede add-ons and you're on your way to tree hugger status :)

Thanks! Got the suede, just need to do a bit of research into how large the "patches" will need to be. I was thinking about waiting until my armor gets here but may get impatient.  :D
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline jj49

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 06:46:59 AM »
Awesome! Look forward to having you in our tree huggin biker gang :)
TB-14944

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
Started to work on my flight suit and trying to figure out the riding patches. They seem to be a bit challenging, so I'm working on a template first out of shipping paper (use what you have, right?). Here is my first effort. It seems to match the photos online but I wanted to see about getting input from anybody that knows. Please let me know your input. The top of the template is right underneath the belt that will be right at my waist line. Too big? Too small? Too wide? Any help would be appreciated. If you want me to pin them to the suit and see where they fit while being worn, I could do that too.

Thanks!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 04:19:52 PM »
Check the CRL photos in relation to where the knee armor sits and the suede ends.

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 08:25:52 PM »
Check the CRL photos in relation to where the knee armor sits and the suede ends.

Will do. Thanks! I posted on the biker scout network and got some feedback on the shape as well. Need to make some changes and try again. The CRL says it ends above the knee but the reference photo that everybody posts shows it underneath the knee armor. It's just tough to see black suede on black flightsuit!  :D
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
They look a bit wide and long, but its hard to say for sure not knowing how it sits on you with your armor. I can dig out my wife's templates, and her flight suit if you need/want any comparisons.  Where are you located? Maybe we can get together if you need any assistance.
We also may have some of the strapping you need to go around the legs if you haven't gotten any yet.

Chris
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
They look a bit wide and long, but its hard to say for sure not knowing how it sits on you with your armor. I can dig out my wife's templates, and her flight suit if you need/want any comparisons.  Where are you located? Maybe we can get together if you need any assistance.
We also may have some of the strapping you need to go around the legs if you haven't gotten any yet.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I bought the strapping but would love to see the templates. I'm in Vancouver but can get anywhere to meet, except downtown, at night, lately. Lol
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »
Here is version 2.0 of the possible riding patches template. Thank you everybody for your feedback and after hours (maybe a slight exaggeration) of pouring over Lancer requests, I have trimmed and come up with this:

The bottom of the template would be just above my kneecap. There seems to be a good deal of variation on lancer requests as to how high up the suede would go, probably because it is covered, but I want to be as correct as possible. Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:36:30 PM by Greedo10360 »
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Definitely looks better, but hard to tell without the knee armor. It will be helpful for when you get your suede. 

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
those new templates look good.

Here is what we used for Judy's flight suit, she is short so these prob too small for you, but gives you an idea of how we did them.

SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Tags: