Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2920 times)

Offline dpmohney

« on: November 04, 2016, 01:41:09 PM »
Hello everyone. I have joined this forum as my first step in joining the 501st.

A bit about me; I live in Salem Oregon and am old enough to remember watching the original Star Wars at the Elsinore theater in town. Ever since, I've wanted to have a Stormtrooper costume.

I have researched making my own, but I think building one from a kit first would be the best option. My goal is to have an ESB approved armor for the 501st. And to this end, purchasing the kit from Anovos and customize it to fit.

Any suggestions/directions are welcome.

Thanks

Offline carpe mindiem

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
Welcome!

If you haven't already, sign up for an account on whitearmor.net (otherwise known as FISD--First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment) and start reading. :)

There are several TK WIPs here on this forum, too: http://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?board=131.0

Create your own WIP and post photos and questions along the way! We all love watching new costumes come together.

Offline L Kamino

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 05:31:28 PM »
Welcome, and good luck with your build!  There's lots of help here and experience with builds. 
Eetla the Ewok, Darth Revan, Pilot with Rebel Legion Starfighter Command

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 06:27:52 PM »
Welcome to the forums! Let us know if you have any questions and have fun building!
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline dpmohney

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'll start poking around and get cracking.

Has anyone else purchased armor from Anovos? Is the helmet good, or should I get the helmet elsewhere?

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
There's a number of folks locally that have Anovos kits, and it's a good kit!  :D You can leave the helmet as is and get approved I believe, but there's room for improvement as well if you want something super tricked out.

If you poke through FISD you'll see a bunch of builds that went all the way to centurion.

Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 08:18:38 PM »
Welcome!
As Luke stated above, the Anovos kit is quite good! (Mine is a heavily modified Anovos kit).
It is, however, based on ANH stunt armor so you'll need to do a few things to convert it to ESB. Mostly, some decals on the helmet need to be changed, the frown needs to be painted black and your handguards are different. All should be quick and simple changes!
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline dpmohney

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful and encouraging. I am slowly building my finances for the purchase and am planning on selling a bunch of things in craft fairs for Christmas to put me over the edge.

Offline Beckett

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 09:57:05 AM »
Welcome to the forums! I'm also near Salem (in Turner). Stormtroopers are the best! I've seen several people who are very happy with the kits from Walt's Trooper Factory (WTF) as well. I think he has about a 6 week turnaround to deliver also. Not sure about the Anovos timeline. Great to have you here!
You can also find me on Facebook: Josh Beckett or Facebook Messenger. Or if you hate those you can shoot a text to 503-999-4664
joshmbeckett@gmail.com

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
Welcome! Definitely check out whitearmor.net tons of info there. I found this thread to be the most helpful when picking my armor and what I needed to get started http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/ , and feel free to ask any questions you may have. CC is a great garrison! 
Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:13:21 PM »
Welcome David!
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770