Author Topic: Shoretrooper WIP  (Read 23379 times)

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Shoretrooper WIP
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
Over the past few weeks, I've been assisting with dissections and suggestions on a couple of forums for this costume (Pathfinders and SpecOps).  I have a WIP over there and thought I'd throw it up here, as well for those interested.  I'll be doing as much detail in my build as possible for anyone who want to follow along at home.  This includes where I am sourcing my materials from and what tricks I am using on them.

Something about this armor just grabbed me when I saw it.  Remember, I'm the guy who never wanted to do a "normal faceless character" in the 501st.  Well, now I'm doing Shoretrooper 6132.  Hopefully, I won't be the only one!

I'll be making my posts as detailed and pictureful as possible.  If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Now, let's start off with one of my famous dissections. I’ll update it with pictures (like the CRL pictures) as the various items are completed.

SOFT PARTS
Neckseal
The neckseal will be made from a black 4-way stretch rubber-looking material.  It will zip up the back.

Shirt
The shirt will be made primarily of black mesh material. It will include ribbed 3/4 sleeves with a hand stirrup. There will be a ribbed chest/pectoral plate all the way up to the collar. Another plate will be located on the back.  The shirt will zip up the upper back for a smart fit.

Gloves
The gloves will be purchased from a 501st vendor. I’ll be installing a pair of grommets on them to connect the hand armor.

Belt
The belt will be made by sewing a pair of brown nylon straps together using a zig-zag stitch. It will velcro closed in the rear with additional velcro on the top in the rear (for the belt cover). I’ll be adding a number of grommets to it for attaching the belt boxes to.

Kama
The kama will be made using black canvas. I’ve scoured the reference pictures and drafted out the pattern necessary to have all the proper seams and stitching on the kama (I'll post it once I trace it into AutoCAD). It will feature a pair of black straps horizontally on the front. I will be building it onto a separate strap that velcros in the front and attaches to the trouser waistline with belt clips to keep it in place.

Trousers
The trousers will be made using brown duck cloth in a riding jodhpur pattern. It will have a working fly because… well, come on, working fly. It will include a belt and a pair of suspenders. It will have 3/4 legs with the bottom being a breathable material with a pair of stirrups to keep them in the boots.

Boots
The boots will be a pair of Havana-color Orca Bay Becon boots. I’ll be weathering them in various ways (to include tan polish brushed off with steel wool like my WWII reenactment boots).

HARD PARTS
Helmet
The helmet will be made using pepakura. I’ll include a modified scout snout greebly, 1mm sintra detailed vents, a hard hat chin strap, and a gray welding mask visor. It will be padded inside and will definitely have a helmet liner (OregonAero liners rock for buckets of all kinds).

Shoulder Straps
The shoulder straps will be made with sealed EVA foam. The attachments on the front and back will be permanently attached to the belt and attach through the chest and back armor with bolts.

Shoulder Armor
The shoulder armor will be made using pepakura. It will attach to the torso armor with a strap off of the shoulder strap. It will also include a strap to the bicep. It will be lined with black foam/neoprene.

Bicep Armor
The bicep armor will be made using pepakura. It will open/adjust in the rear under the tab and will include a strap to the shoulder armor/torso armor. It will be lined with black foam/neoprene.

Forearm Armor
The forearm armor will be made using pepakura. It will open/adjust under the cover strip. IT will be lined with black foam/neoprene.

Hand Armor
The hand armor will be made using pepakura. It will attach to the gloves with bolts/Chicago screws.

Chest Armor
The chest armor will be made using pepakura. It will attach to the back armor at the shoulder using strapping. It will attach over the shim between the armors at the side using magnets in a similar way to the FOTK armor. It will include a pair of grommets in the shoulders for the straps. It will be padded using black foam/neoprene that extends out from the edge.

Back Armor
The back armor will be made using pepakura. It will attach to the chest armor at the shoulder using strapping. It will attach under the chest armor at the sides with a shim using magnets. The insets will have details in accordance with the reference pictures. It will include a pair of grommets in the shoulders for the straps. It will be padded using black foam/neoprene that extends out from the edge.

Abdominal Armor
The abdominal armor will be built using pepakura, foam, and sintra. The front details will be made using pepakura. They will attach to a sealed EVA foam pad that wraps around the back of the body and secures under another foam pad with velcro.

Belt Equipment
The belt equipment will be made using pepakura and other materials. The belt buckle will be pepakura along with the arrow devices, small boxes, and medium boxes. The belt plate in the rear will be made using sintra and will connect to the belt with bolts on one side and velcro on the other. All boxes will attach to the belt with screws.

Thermal Detonator
The thermal detonator will be made using a pair of PVC pipes, couplers, and sintra. One will be cut apart and glued on top of the other for the ridges. The couplers will be cut down and sintra placed inside them for the end caps. It will be attached to the belt plate with screws.

Shin Armor
The base of the skin armor will be built using pepakura. They will attach in the rear and have foam/neoprene under it. The front plates will attach over it using screws. The straps will wrap around the legs and connect with either found items or resin reproductions. The straps will be made of sealed foam. It will attach around the leg with magnets.

OPTIONAL ITEMS

Blaster
I’ll be modifying a Doopydoo E-11 to look like that seen in the reference pictures. This includes the new power cylinder set, flashlight, and sight rail.

COLORS
The base coat for everything will be black self-etching automotive primer. Over that will be the tan color with the individual paint jobs over that and sanded through to the black for weathering. I’ll also use the windex method for weathering. The blaster will be painted in accordance to some of the FISD tutorials.

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Shoretrooper WIP
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
This isn't a double post as much as it is the first post of work.  I'm planning to hit Joann Fabrics tonight for the cloth parts (it's a coupon-palooza weekend) and have spoken with my pepakura wizard (Rundown) about making the pepakura files for the armor.  Here's a quick taste of the beginning of his files.  When complete, I'll post the files for others who may want to try their hand at the armor.

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
First purchase made.  Here we see the brown duck cloth, black mesh, and pattern (sorry about the flash, but it’s late).  I’m going to run the duck through the wash with some MilSoft (industrial fabric softener).  My plan is to make the jodhpurs with three-quarter length legs for breathability.  The bottom will be made with the mesh (maybe, it might just be a light cotton material).

Here’s a bit better picture of the breeches.  They’re fly breeches with belt loops.  It does have pockets, but they’ll be hidden by the kama.  They have saddle and inner leg reinforcements, so I won’t have to worry about walking wear for a while.  Finally, they are jodhpurs.

Here we see the beginnings of my kama.  I’m going to cut this up, wash it in industrial detergent and drop it in a black dye bath for a day.  Then, I’ll do the necessary cutting and hand it all off to my lovely wife to sew up for me.  Not bad for something I found at Walmart for $10.

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
Here is what I came up with for a kama pattern.  Well, half a kama, anyway.  Allow me to explain.

All of the seam turns are 1/2” wide.  The stitching is 3/8” apart.  Each side has a primary panel, the bottom of the secondary panel, the middle of the secondary panel, and the top of the secondary panel (4 pieces in total per side).  There’s the grommet with the 3” bottom hem.  The 1” wide nylon strap following the bottom and middle separator of the secondary panel (sewn along the entire length), and a raised detail shown where the reinforcement is between the panels (sewn to that point and then reinforced with two stitches 1/8” apart and half an inch across.

Some may argue that the pattern is similar to the Rex Kama (two trapezoids), but the split in the rear, and how it is pulling, doesn’t add up.  Unlike the Rex, which is baggy as he moves, this one looks to not billow any, staying in about the same placement on the legs.

If any has suggestions or sees a problem I may have made, please let me know.  The more criticism, the more detailed everyone’s is!

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
Those drop clothes tend to have a sealer in them to prevent bleed through, what will you used to allow the dye to penetrate?

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
It's an industrial detergent.  It takes pretty much everything out.

Offline inquisitorius-picnic

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »
Very cool. Its nice to finally get started on a costume you've been researching intensely.

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:48:39 PM »

Cool, care to share the brand you use. I have quite a bit of canvas I would like to try dying...

Offline Rat

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
Following

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 02:47:13 PM »

Cool, care to share the brand you use. I have quite a bit of canvas I would like to try dying...
Of course.  Sorry, it's been a weird few days.

It's called Synthrapol Detergent.  I get mine from the link, but I also get a discount through them.

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
An update on the armor files.

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 07:50:33 PM »
I have the helmet file for a start on the armor.  I spent all day unfolding it and will be printing it out tomorrow.  I'll post pics as I build it.

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Wow, this is amazing so far. Going to follow this intently!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
The armor I commissioned from a pepakura wizard is almost complete.  Hopefully I can get it soon to complete the build by the time the movie comes out!

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »
I now have the full set of armor files for my Shoretrooper Squad Leader, to include an update to the helmet making it a little less “kill me now” than it was before to build.  You might notice that it doesn’t have the belt buckle or back of the belt.  This is because the buckle will be made of layered sintra and the back of the belt will be made using a plate of sintra and a PVC pipe-built thermal detonator.  There are some things I will be not using, but mostly because they are found items or are easier to purchase resin-cast than to pep them.

I’ll be unfolding the files today and am hoping to begin building it before the end of the week.

Tags: