• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Cons?
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:26:33 PM »
Does anybody go to any of the local Conventions such as Kumoricon,Radcon, or Orycon? Just curious if they are any fun? Also does anything "Star Wars" themed occur there?
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline Ilovesanddirt

Re: Cons?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:10:37 PM »
Does anybody go to any of the local Conventions such as Kumoricon,Radcon, or Orycon? Just curious if they are any fun? Also does anything "Star Wars" themed occur there?

Portland Comic Con is the only one I have been to.  I know the Orycon doesn't allow helmets :roll: so I don't know if I would want to go to that.  Now the others I haven't heard of.  I would be interested.  We also went to Emerald City Con in Seattle this year.

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »
Eric (ceric) and I went to a comicon about 5 years ago. He was showing fan films and I was standing at this table as Vader handing out trading cards. It was very laid back with lots of kids. I was the only one in costume.

Barry

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 11:44:44 PM »
Yeah, OryCon is kind of lame. It is a "no buckets, no blasters" venue. So there isn't much in the way of Star Wars costumers there, typically. My friend, Tim went last year in a Jedi costume. One of the security people thought the weapons policy was lame, so he told Tim to tuck his saber prop behind his cloak so that it was out of sight, out of mind.
OryCon is more for the "furries" style of costumers. But it was mildly amusing to check out. But Rob is right, other than the Seattle ComiCon, the Portland Comic Book Show is pretty much the only  con to go to where you would see some costumers...

- BIll
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 12:03:04 AM »
I've been to the portland comic con once and it blew some much @$$ I've never even considered going back. All it was a bunch of vendors trying to peddle off over priced comic books. There were a few Toy booths selling off some nifty toys but nothing to exciting. And they had a few comic artists, signing autographs, a playbody model (from like a decade ago) and lorenzo lammas. They charged like 40.00 a pop an autograph. Whi the heck whats "The Renagade's" autograph. LOL
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:58:27 AM »
I've been to the portland comic con once and it blew some much @$$ I've never even considered going back. All it was a bunch of vendors trying to peddle off over priced comic books. There were a few Toy booths selling off some nifty toys but nothing to exciting. And they had a few comic artists, signing autographs, a playbody model (from like a decade ago) and lorenzo lammas. They charged like 40.00 a pop an autograph. Whi the heck whats "The Renagade's" autograph. LOL

Dude that was my grandma!  :shock:  :wink:  There are more toy boths now.  A few, I don't knows, asking for autographs and some comics and hentai.  :mrgreen:  Not bad but also not Emerald City Comicon either.

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 11:25:28 AM »
a playbody model........ and lorenzo lammas.
Dude that was my grandma!  :shock:

..............you didn't specify which one.........

Offline Ilovesanddirt

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »
a playbody model........ and lorenzo lammas.
Dude that was my grandma!  :shock:

..............you didn't specify which one.........

It's sometimes hard for me to tell.  :mrgreen:

Offline jasond011

• 501st Legion Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »
Dude,  he was in Grease before he was the Renegade!  Still, it would be nice if there was a better Con in PDX other than the bi-annual Portland Comic Show.  There are others, but they focus on small/indie press and frown on corporate franchises like Star Wars.  Secura Con in Washington  is cool, but its primarily Anime themed.  Emerald City in Seattle and Comicon in San Diego are the best though.  Dragoncon in the Southeast rules, but I think only Ara goes to that.
Jason D. Shaw
IG/TB-1398

501st Legion

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:15:45 AM »
There is another one they have up in the Tacoma area, NorWest Con, I think it is. I don't know how it rates compared to the others. But it is another one that is in the PNW....
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »
NorWesCon sucks, it is a literary con that allows costumers.  Emerald City Comic Con is pretty good.

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
So what are we to say....of the best to the worst... since there are bi annual in Portland..Which of those are better to go?
 Is it....
  1.Portland Comic show?

2. Emerald City Con..??

3. NorWes Con???

I don't know..All I know is I have been to Portland comic show a few times

So ..who can put in Order ..what Cons we could do in our neck of woods...  That are well worth Trooping , and ETC.....
Allan Quick

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 03:07:15 PM »
Well DST was a hit at Portland Comic Book show. So I think that is probably the best locally. But I have to agree with Martin, Emerald City was pretty good.
SoI would say those two. I've never been to NorWes Con, so in this case I am going to have to take Martin's word for it.

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Tags: